• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corned Beef At Home: Recipes, Tips, etc.

richw

I did the Ruhlman method as posted in the NYT last week, curing for six days. After much searching, I found a butcher who gave the exact amount needed for my 4.5lb point in one gallon of water - he gave me one and 1/4 tblspoon. With 2 cups kosher salt, that brine was mighty salty. The cut was maybe two inch thick. It was pink all the way through, and damned tasty. We are on our third day and hate to see it go!

• Like 2

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

the last of the CB this year :

58ced37c6d820_CBlast.thumb.jpg.4cdd982ab7da064135ad4e049a2bf577.jpg

2 bags of 3 + lb  trimmed and bagged into 6 bags.

i could not resist.   I was going to do 48 + at 131 etc

but these are 145 F  for 24 +    in this case 27 for conveniennce

I did note that these two bags  are OK  I hope but not as nice as the bags they stocked at S&S early on.

I can't imagine them grading them , and I can't imagine these have been sitting in the S&S meat bit for 2 weeks

go figure    :

Buy Early , and Buy Often.

• Like 1

And on the Saturday after St.Patrick's Day, one must have corned beef hash. I think it's a law.

58ceedd3bfb8d_cbhash.jpg.5cda02934664fa55293eeba62bee113e.jpg

I saw nice eye of round roasts at Aldi yesterday. I'm thinking I may have to corn something else. There's maybe one meal worth of corned beef left out of that bottom round. It also made a quite excellent sandwich this morning, with some horseradish cheddar.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 minutes ago, kayb said:

I'm thinking I may have to corn something else.

I'm thinking the same thing. But now that the corned beef has been done, I'm thinking about making the base 5% brine (water, salt, sugar, curing salt) and playing around with other flavors besides the traditional pickling spice. I already have some flavors in mind for both beef and pork.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm very happy with the salt levels of the finished product using the 5% brine. Without the need for the preservative aspect of a heavier brine and since I won't likely be going back to the boil it in a big pot of water method of cooking corned beef, I don't see a situation where I'd ever use the 10% again.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...

And because where I live always seems to be just slightly behind what's happening everywhere else... this weeks grocery store flyer is advertising "whole beef brisket" for what is a good price for here.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

The other evening I borrowed an Anova from a friend and cooked up a beef tongue prepared according to Thomas Kellers Corned Beef Tongue Pain Perdu from Under Pressure.  I skipped the whole pain perdu part, sliced it chilled, and warmed it in a non-stick skillet before placing on a baguette with some mayo and mustard.  Amazing!  The recipe called for 28 days of brining, so don't delay too long!

16 minutes ago, donk79 said:

The other evening I borrowed an Anova from a friend and cooked up a beef tongue prepared according to Thomas Kellers Corned Beef Tongue Pain Perdu from Under Pressure.  I skipped the whole pain perdu part, sliced it chilled, and warmed it in a non-stick skillet before placing on a baguette with some mayo and mustard.  Amazing!  The recipe called for 28 days of brining, so don't delay too long!

28 days is a crazy long brine, esp for a little tongue. Given 1 cm brine penetration per day it should take much less.

I will not dispute you on theory.  All I know is the results!

Editing to say that I know the results of the 28 day brine.  I cannot testify that a briefer brine would not be just as good.

Edited by donk79 (log)
  • Like 1

here's  wild thing . . . . it's not unknown, lots of methods/recipes out there but . . .

consider the well baked corned beef.

I had a (commercial brand/vacuum pack)  frozen/thawed half and decided it was time to try it.

not rinsed/soaked (it was too salty - I'm gonna' rinse it next time....)

the usual corned beef spices on (fat cap) top (coriander and the crowd . . )

bake fat cap up - 345-375'F - watch the fat - it needs to bake at high enough temp to start a rendering on the fat.

cover it initially; remove cover to crisp toward the end.

served with sharp mustard as conventional.

I brought the internal up to 185'F, then let it cool.  took 2.25 hrs.

the texture is different than boiled - cross section had a marbled look like some of the top Wagyu grades.

does not fall apart ala the usual wet prep.

I thought it was great; DW gave it a downer and prefers the 'usual' prep.

A quick question, just to be on the safe side before corned beef time gets here. I had to order more Prague #1 recently and got it from a different source than I usually do because they had some sausage making supplies I wanted. All the information on the label is identical to the one I usually order and I don't doubt the supplier but the powder is white instead of pink. I know the pink is added just for easy identification but is it particularly unusual for a manufacturer to leave it out?

50 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

A quick question, just to be on the safe side before corned beef time gets here. I had to order more Prague #1 recently and got it from a different source than I usually do because they had some sausage making supplies I wanted. All the information on the label is identical to the one I usually order and I don't doubt the supplier but the powder is white instead of pink. I know the pink is added just for easy identification but is it particularly unusual for a manufacturer to leave it out?

I've never seen Prague 1 that isn't pink, but it isn't a worry I don't think. 

Why not not test it on a scrap of beef over night and see if it gets red after cookng. or contact the seller...

5 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I always thought it was compulsory to add the pink dye for safety. This  company however appears to sell it without the dye. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I always thought it was compulsory to add the pink dye for safety. This  company however appears to sell it without the dye. 

That's not the place I got it from but it looks exactly the same as I what I have... and now I have another in-Canada sausage supply site to check out! :D

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

I've never seen Prague 1 that isn't pink, but it isn't a worry I don't think. 

Why not not test it on a scrap of beef over night and see if it gets red after cookng. or contact the seller...

I did send an email to the seller but thought I'd ask here anyway. There's generally somebody here who knows the answer to my questions and I usually get a reply from them faster than I do from the average company responding to an email.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've seen it at the Punjab Market without colour.

Between Anna's link and your market siting, I was already convinced all was well but I also got a response from the supplier assuring me it's the right stuff... so no more worries.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

For the first time in ages , I bought a pre-cured CB at the market.  The last of the St. P's day batch at a great price.

It was pink, so I know it was cured, but it had no taste of spices etc.

Is this the standard?

@gfweb

I can't really say.

the CB's I get on deep sale  have that little spice packed in the pack which I do not use.

I used to use it when the CB's were simmered long ago.

Id say the ones I get taste more of Beef than Spice

should you SV yours , try a cold smoke for a bit after cooking then re-bag and freeze

or eat right then

Id say mine taste like lightly smoked beef

no spice.

next year Im going to do 1/2 of my haul as Ive done this year

and the other 1/2  w pastrami like pepper and spices

the ' plain smoke ' CB I have is out of this world for sandwiches

and not anything I can buy

even at the new DD-Wagman's

• Like 1

@gfweb

interesting

what I made is what I consider to be CB.

I grew up in CA and im wondering if there is an Eastern view that sees CB as something close to what Id call pastrami

not necessarily great pastrami , but a cow what wandered in that general neighborhood.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb

interesting

what I made is what I consider to be CB.

I grew up in CA and im wondering if there is an Eastern view that sees CB as something close to what Id call pastrami

not necessarily great pastrami , but a cow what wandered in that general neighborhood.

Might be true.

The Eastern deli CB I've had has some flavor in the pastrami spectrum...not smoked of course...and a somewhat leaner meat.

On the other hand, the stuff I made is probably what the Irish would've had for CB, if indeed they had CB at all.  Meant for eating with cabbage and potatoes and not for reuben making

Edited by gfweb (log)