• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This is a holdover from a time when medicinal uses of spices were as important as culinary.  The number five had symbolic power, ensuring the healthfulness of this mixture.

I'm not surprised that there are some references which get that right. My point is more that they are very much in the minority. Try finding a similar reference on the internet  - I spent a while looking before deciding I had better things to do. Didn't find one.

I am however surprised that he refers to the importance of medicinal use of spices as being something in the past. It still very much is important, often more so than culinary use. In fact, many spices are only readily available from pharmacies rather than food stores or markets. Herbs even more so.

For example, if I were to attempt to make the third version I described, I would definitely have to visit the pharmacy. Dahurian Angelica, and Amomum Villosum are only found there.

As to the numerology, interesting. I've never heard that association with health. I've always understood it to be more an oblique reference to the classic five Chinese tastes - bitter, salty, sweet, sour, and pungent. Five suggests balance in Chinese thinking. But, I suppose balance is healthy! (The five elements are considered to be metal, wood, water, fire and earth, which together also indicate balance).

On the other hand, five (五 wǔ) is a near homophone of (无 wú) which means "not" or "nothing. By association, 5 therefore often has a negative meaning.

liuzhou

liuzhou

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This is a holdover from a time when medicinal uses of spices were as important as culinary.  The number five had symbolic power, ensuring the healthfulness of this mixture.

I'm not surprised that there are some references which get that right. My point is more that they are very much in the minority. Try finding a similar reference on the internet  - I spent a while looking before deciding I had better things to do. Didn't find one.

I am however surprised that he refers to the importance of medicinal use of spices as being something in the past. It still very much is important, often more so than culinary use. In fact, many spices are only readily available from pharmacies rather than food stores or markets. Herbs even more so.

For example, if I were to attempt to make the third version I described, I would definitely have to visit the pharmacy. Dahurian Angelica, and Amomum Villosum are only found there.

As to the numerology, interesting. I've never heard that association with health. I've always understood it to be more an oblique reference to the classic five Chinese tastes - bitter, salty, sweet, sour, and pungent. Five suggests balance in Chinese thinking. So, I suppose balance is healthy! (The five elements are considered to be metal, wood, water, fire and earth, which together also indicate balance).

On the other hand, five (五 wǔ) is a near homophone of (无 wú) which means "not" or "nothing. By association, 5 therefore often has a negative meaning.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I'm surprised he refers to the importance of medicinal use of spices as being something in the past. It still very much is. In fact, many spices are only readily available from pharmacies rather than food stores or markets. Herbs even more so.

If I were to attempt to make the third version I described, I would definitely have to visit the pharmacy. Dahurian Angelica, and Amomum Villosum are only found there.

As to the numerology, interesting. I've never heard that association with health. I've always understood it to be more an oblique reference to the classic five Chinese tastes - bitter, salty, sweet, sour, and pungent. Five suggests balance in Chinese thinking. So, I suppose balance is healthy! (The five elements are considered to be metal, wood, water, fire and earth, which together also indicate balance).

liuzhou

liuzhou

I'm surprised he refers to medicinal uses of spices as being in the past. They still very much are. In fact, many spices are only readily available from pharmacies rather than food stores or markets. Herbs even more so.

If I were to attempt to make the third version I described, I would definitely have to visit the pharmacy. Dahurian Angelica, and Amomum Villosum are only found there.