• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electrolux buying Anova?

daveb

52 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

That would be nice

I'm 6 min from my office so yeah if I could I would 

Yeah, we usually have someone home because of people working from home a lot, so there may not be someone watching it but there is likely someone who could be asked to go restart or pull the food and stick it in the fridge or whatever. Even the housemate's kid could give it a poke if he was home.

Our power goes off about 10 times a year. Maybe more. The generator kicks in after 30 sec and all is well again. I'd love a unit that restarts after an outage when the power comes on. There could be a warning light showing that it had been off and a message sent with the duration.

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Our power goes off about 10 times a year. Maybe more. The generator kicks in after 30 sec and all is well again. I'd love a unit that restarts after an outage when the power comes on. There could be a warning light showing that it had been off and a message sent with the duration.

Buy a UPS.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

55 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I was thinking you'd need a pretty burly UPS, but since the circulator will just be maintaining temperature, it wouldn't need much capacity at all. Especially if you're cooking in something insulated.

I am going to SV a couple of chicken breasts this afternoon using my Bluetooth Anova so I am going to use my Kil-a-Watt meter to track power usage.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I suspect that the power draw will be in the 100+ watt range while it is coming to temperature and stabilizing. The power draw after that is what interests me.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

I suspect that the power draw will be in the 100+ watt range while it is coming to temperature and stabilizing. The power draw after that is what interests me.

The 2nd-gen Anova (BT/WiFi) is rated at 800W; I'm not sure it actually pulls that, but people have complained that it's underpowered compared to the original Anova (1000W).

Here's some power benchmarks on a variety of cookers.

The one critical question would be whether it actually reduces the heat output of the element after the cooking temp is reached, or whether it just "bursts" it at full blast for very short intervals.

In re: the Electrolux acquisition, it's been noted elsewhere that Electrolux actually pulled out of the small appliance market in the US. I wonder if their play is to use the Anova brand to get better traction in that area. 

Edited by dtremit (log)

Anova Power Usage Test Setup (Not highly controlled):

20 qt thin-walled SS stockpot with about 15 quarts of water.

Large Charles Viancin Rectanguler lid mostly covering the top.

Water bath temperature 147 F. Heated the water to about 144 on the stove, then attached the circulator and let it bring the water up to temperature.

Bringing up to temp: Had a breif spike at about 800W then bounced around mostly from 300W to 450W.

15 minutes after being at temp: bouncing around from 120W to 260W, favoring the higher end.  Slowly moved more toward 160W- 220W.

I'm thinking that whatever UPS would be employed would need to produce a clean sine wave and handle 500W peaks.

I don't do "long cooks" with my Anova nor do I do large batches, cooking one meal at a time. 5 hours max and generally 3 hours or less. I never leave while I am cooking something SV.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I have two clean sinewave UPS's, one 1400 VA and one 1500 VA.  Need them for the computers though.  However I was serious with my UPS suggestion above.

I go into the long cook problem differently and use a thermometer that has a data logger function.  If I lose power I can see what happened within the bath and when.  For short cooks I don't bother.

Would like to see a restart to preset function in the circulators.  Seems like it would be easy.  I think the home Poly Science has this but at 3X the price of the Anova it's hard to justify.

To the topic I hope all of the Anova folks come out well from this. (Even Shermie, the customer service rep from hell.)   I agree it's the reason small businesses start.  But to me an Electrolux will always be a dachshund with a hose on one end and a cord on the other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveb said:

I go into the long cook problem differently and use a thermometer that has a data logger function.  If I lose power I can see what happened within the bath and when.

I could do this...but then I'd need a UPS for the thermometer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, paulraphael said:

We should ask tech support at Anova if a clean sine wave is important. 

Anova's scientific circulators output data, but it's via an RS232 port, which I have seen since sometime in the 20th century. Not sure what software they can talk to.

Print directly to a DEC LA-120? :P

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

12 hours ago, paulraphael said:

We should ask tech support at Anova if a clean sine wave is important. 

Anova's scientific circulators output data, but it's via an RS232 port, which I have seen since sometime in the 20th century. Not sure what software they can talk to.

I recently had a fellow member's Anova here on my bench for repair, and I was a little surprised to find a USB port tied to the PCB along with the usual headers and things. I can't help but wonder if that will allow some communication with the unit? You can see it in the upper right corner of the pic below. I wasn't too keen on experimenting with someone else's stuff, but maybe someday after that extra glass of wine or something I will crack open my own Anova and see if there is any I/O capability in there. Might just be to allow for firmware revisions or something too...

DSC_0366.JPG

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

Might just be to allow for firmware revisions or something too...

Since the heart of this thing is mostly likely a CPLD or FPGA a programming port is needed for the manufacturing stage, and that port would also allow for "firmware" upgrades later. Could also be a PIC controller.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

46 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Since the heart of this thing is mostly likely a CPLD or FPGA a programming port is needed for the manufacturing stage, and that port would also allow for "firmware" upgrades later. Could also be a PIC controller.

It's actually an ARM processor, which I believe does allow for USB programming.

• Like 1