• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - Tours and Tastes Toronto

Kerry Beal

Now a walk through the St. Lawrence market rates much, much higher on my scale than the ROM or the AGO.  Proof positive that I am a peasant at heart and proud of it.xDxD

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

their is always something good about buying stuff.  and easting stuff.  that meat market looks , on line at least , to have some tasty lunch items.

however,:  N.B.: you just can't put anything in your freezer these days , 

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Me too - kept thinking it would be much more fun with you cause we'd buy stuff!

But then you would remain uncultured just like me.:)

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

their is always something good about buying stuff.  and easting stuff.  that meat market looks , on line at least , to have some tasty lunch items.

however,:  N.B.: you just can't put anything in your freezer these days , 

Sometimes, rotuts, you can be such a wet blanket.xDxD

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_4164.JPG

A Montreal smoked meat sandwich from Zupas for lunch 

IMG_4162.JPG

stopped in for a little visit with Stephanie at Roselle - got some caramels and hubby got a cookie.

• Like 7

Just now, TicTac said:

.....and!?

:)

- sorry - double post - meant to edit!

Very satisfactory - much better than Patria and a hell of a lot cheaper!

• Like 1

Nothing much more planned - though we wanted to check out the Art Shoppe tomorrow but I can't find evidence that they still carry any Art's and Crafts furniture.

Oh it has been a while since we were at the Art Shoppe - I remember my folks getting some wildly large couch from Italy that took far too long to get here.  That was the store near Yonge and Eglinton though, haven't been to the one DT.

Is tonight your last meal in the city?

I didn't know they had a shop downtown - I'm picturing Yonge and Eglington.

Tonight last dinner in city. Breakfast tomorrow - perhaps lunch.

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Now enjoying a cup of tea at Cacao 70 in the Distillary District

IMG_4160.JPG

I saw them on You Gotta Eat Here a few nights ago. Not that that means anything, just remembered it when I saw your post.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I believe that - although pretty similar - there are some differences that keep the argument alive! Here Serious Eats discusses it.

No dinner for last night to report on - reservation didn't come through for Alo and probably just as well as we didn't need anything more to eat after our late lunch.

I think that the St. Lawrence Market was the place where, on one of my childhood trips from Pittsburgh to Toronto, I tasted halvah for the first time. I still love halvah, and I adore walking through markets too.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

17 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I believe that - although pretty similar - there are some differences that keep the argument alive! Here Serious Eats discusses it.

Excellent article. Looks like what I make is closer to MSM and not pastrami.  Who knew?

We are now the proud owners of a   new recliner for hubby - and are checking out  Jamie's Italian at Yorkdale

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

Italian steak frite for hubby

IMG_4169.JPG

polenta 'fries' 

IMG_4172.JPG

gnocchi tom sauce 

• Like 10

thanks.   I went to the web site.

would you comment on the food ?

I have not eaten in CAN for quite a while.  I do remember that wine was relatively expensive, about the same price as a prix fix good meal

I was told that related to tax :

wine.jpg

Wow.  50 CND  for a liter of plonk from sicily !