• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - Tours and Tastes Toronto

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

thanks.   I went to the web site.

would you comment on the food ?

I have not eaten in CAN for quite a while.  I do remember that wine was relatively expensive, about the same price as a prix fix good meal

I was told that related to tax :

wine.jpg

Wow.  50 CND  for a liter of plonk from sicily !

Food did nothing for me - hubby was happy with what looked like a delicated steak for $25. Didn't drink any wine so paid no attention to the prices. Tea selection also kinda sucked.

• Like 2

Ive had many a fine meal in Montreal in a good quality French restaurant at about $ 30 / CND  for a prix fix selection

in the style of a restaurant in France

and a decent bottle of dry red or white was also 30

the restaurants always had a bottle in that range that was a good pairing    and the 30 was low for their wine lists.

Here in New Brunswick, restaurateurs pay full retail for wine. To put that further into context, a $9 bottle of wine in the US is a $19 bottle of wine in Canada. The usual rule of thumb is to mark it up 100%, so now we're up to $38. 

Yeah, it adds up in a hurry (and also places a lot of emphasis on "value" wines). 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I was amazed at the big difference in wine prices between Toronto and my hometown.  Of course I'm in Northern California where wine is plentiful, but the price was pretty much double.  My lack of math skills did not allow me to truly calculate the actual difference.  And I was in Toronto two years ago so it may be different now.

Let's also not forget (and not generalize as a result of) the fact that this is Jamie Oliver's 'restaurant' and as such he believes he can inflate his prices given his 'brand'.

Many amazing options throughout the city where wine prices are not nearly as egregious, closer to the 200% mark as eluded to earlier, which is pretty standard.