• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - Tours and Tastes Toronto

Kerry Beal

The hubby and I are heading to Toronto tomorrow for a few days away from home. No conference, no workshop - just a few days in a posh hotel while someone else gets the kid off to school and tucks her into bed at night. We discussed going somewhere warm (after all it is February in Canada) - but with only a few free days - to have a travel day at the beginning and end would make it not much of a break.  

We will be downtown - King and Spadina area and would love some suggestions of places to eat within walking distance. Not too interested in playing dress up to eat out - so nothing too posh. I know I'm not too far from the Dumpling House - I've tried to make it there before unsuccessfully so maybe this time it will happen.

Touristy things will probably be the ROM and maybe the AGO. No Hockey Hall of Fame for me - sorry Melissa. Perhaps a run through Yorkville, maybe a trip up the The Art Shoppe to ogle the Stickley if they still have it.

• Like 6

A well deserved break, Doc!

I know you said nothing too posh, however; you are right around the corner from Alo - though the chances of getting a table are fairly slim, I would absolutely urge you to give it a go....often the chef's table is open, and there is also the Bar (which does not take reservations).  It is the best restaurant in the city at the moment.

Besides that, check out Khao San Road for some fantastic Thai food, and Zuppas for great smoked meat sandwiches.  There is also Swataow on Spadina for amazing shrimp dumplings or their BBQ Pork soup.

That should keep you busy, let me know if you want more or anything specific :)

12 minutes ago, TicTac said:

A well deserved break, Doc!

I know you said nothing too posh, however; you are right around the corner from Alo - though the chances of getting a table are fairly slim, I would absolutely urge you to give it a go....often the chef's table is open, and there is also the Bar (which does not take reservations).  It is the best restaurant in the city at the moment.

Besides that, check out Khao San Road for some fantastic Thai food, and Zuppas for great smoked meat sandwiches.  There is also Swataow on Spadina for amazing shrimp dumplings or their BBQ Pork soup.

That should keep you busy, let me know if you want more or anything specific :)

Sounds good - I shall see what I can do about Alo - as long as they  don't care how I'm dressed 

Heh....Being at Queen and Spadina, you can use your imagination as to how some 'hipsters' dress for Alo.

Your money is just as good as everyone else's, so long as you ARE dressed ;)

Good luck!  At the very least you can always pop in at the bar for some great cocktails and excellent 'bar food'.

11 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Heh....Being at Queen and Spadina, you can use your imagination as to how some 'hipsters' dress for Alo.

Your money is just as good as everyone else's, so long as you ARE dressed ;)

Good luck!  At the very least you can always pop in at the bar for some great cocktails and excellent 'bar food'.

No joy for a reservation - but as you say the bar is an option.

11 hours ago, gfweb said:

I had a nice dinner at Luma the other day, which is right where you will be... but looking at the online menu, I see nothing that was on Friday's menu. So....

Heading out shortly to have lunch at Luma since it's open today.

• Like 1

Lunch at Luma 

IMG_4109.JPG

Tea to start

IMG_4110.JPG

merguez and white bean crostini 

IMG_4111.JPG

fish and chips for hubby

IMG_4113.JPG

veggie ramen for me

• Like 7

Dinner at Montecito - were heading to zupa but was closed already 

IMG_4118.JPG

Brothers perryman for me

IMG_4119.JPG

wine for the old man

IMG_4121.JPG

lovely bread with cultured butter

IMG_4122.JPG

chicken for himself - clearly cooked sous vide

IMG_4123.JPG

smashed potatoes

IMG_4125.JPG

pork shoulder - wanted a chop but they were out 

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Sorry to hear that Zuppas was closed, I have only ever been for lunch - hope your replacement meal was satisfactory!

It was perfectly satisfactory - still wish I'd been able to have a pork chop though!

• Like 1

Hoping tomorrow might yield a reservation at Alo - tonight headed to Patria - Spanish.

Vermouth for me - wine for hubby

IMG_4138.JPG

Pan con tomate

IMG_4141.JPG

Patates bravas

IMG_4144.JPG

• Like 9