• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Workshop 2017 Las Vegas

Chocolot

I'll start, but invite others to add or correct.

1. Haven't set a time. You basically can go whenever you want. Last time they offered a discount and hope they will again this time. Someone will have a car going when you want to.

2. Most of the places from last time were not too exciting or relevant to what most of us do. Some are no longer in business. I left time open so that people can plan their own activities.

3. There should be lots of cars available for carpooling. we tend to meet just outside the door to our building and divide up. I don't think there will be a problem getting a ride where ever you want to go. 

4. Time for the Meet n greet is flexible as far as I am concerned. You can either grab a quick bite or go after. Most don't eat a ton at this, just try a few and take a bag to eat later. I have never had a problem with chocolate in my checked bag or carryon. Be aware that a block of chocolate looks like C4 when they Xray. You might be questioned. My checked bag ALWAYS gets opened and inspected. I pack a lot of strange items when I am "chocolating".

5. Marilyn's Cafe at the hotel is a typical cafe. Ok food and service. We will try to have some fresh fruit and donuts at the class. JMA usually has coffee for everyone. There is also a little coffee bar at the hotel. In your room, you will have a fridge and small dinette area with sink. If you ask at check in, they will bring you a microwave. It is free, but you need to ask.

6. We usually just get together and head out to a place for dinner. Last time someone was in the mood for Vietnamese and we googled and headed out. It was very good. We want to stay a bit flexible so that you can do what you want and not have to go as a group unless you want to. You might want to check out Eat. It is downtown but very good. Don't think it is open for dinner. 

Vegas is spread out, but it is not a large town. You can get most places fairly quick, depending on traffic. There is also a monorail that runs up the strip. You can walk to the Paris from the Tuscany and hop on. Don't take a cab from the airport. There is a shuttle that is less than $10 that will take you to the Tuscany. Looking forward to meeting you and tasting some if your tasty treats. 

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

"There is a shuttle that is less than $10 that will take you to the Tuscany. Looking forward to meeting you and tasting some if your tasty treats."

Ruth,

Thanks for all the helpful answers, just what I wanted to know. Just a couple of followups:  Will the shuttle specifically be marked for the Tuscany, or is it a multi-hotel arrangement?  I wonder if you will find my "treats" so "tasty" when they have been melted. How did you and others get your confections safely from the airport to the hotel?

Jim

I won't be there, but a couple of notes for y'all -

Jean-Philippe had a nice chocolate/pastry shop in the Aria.  Didn't try anything, but pretty stuff and some seasonal chocolate sculptures, worth a look if you're on that end of the strip.

Melissa's studio is at the very rear of the building - her husband works with the pain clinic on the street side of the building, so look for that and go all the way to the back.

What Ruth said about x-rays, they can't see through chocolate 9_9

As for heat, hopefully you'll be going from air-conditioned building to air-conditioned vehicle and back and the middle of your luggage won't get above 75. 

Chef Rubber is worth the trip,  semi-close to the airport but off in a business park.  I'd allow at least an hour.

Bad news from Chef Rubber:

Unfortunately, the showroom has been inaccessible as we are beginning an exciting new remodel project. This remodel is going to take a good while so the showroom will be inaccessible during your May 18th classes. There is literally nothing in it right now. We apologize for the inconvenience and always appreciate you bringing everybody down here. We sadly are not going to be able to accommodate them on this go around as we continue to get this new remodel underway. We appreciate your understanding.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

@Jim D - thanks for starting off with the questions.  As a first-timer, I've got a couple of questions too. 

1.  I gather we're supposed to bring some chocolates for the group to sample.  Are there any guidelines as to how many types/flavors, how many of each kind, etc?  Are we limited to just chocolate?

2.  Do we need to specify food preferences for the lunch on Sat?  If so, ovo-lacto vegetarian here. 9_9

3.  Re: Chef Rubber showroom - EGADS!!  Will the whole store be closed??  That would be such a shame...

Bonus:  Is anyone staying an extra day (Monday) and interested in sight-seeing?  If so just message me.

Looking forward to meeting everyone, learning, and tasting all the treats along the way. :) 

The Friday get together is to allow everyone (and invited guests) the opportunity to meet everyone and to share a couple items you make with others.  Oh, and to enjoy a glass of wine for those that indulge.  I would just bring one, or two, particular pieces you produce!  Don't overthink it....we are a very fun group!  

• Like 1

What Bob said. We always have too much candy to sample, but more is always welcome:)  30 pieces or so, but like he said, don't overthink it. As far as lunch, we will have some veggie sandwiches for those who prefer.  On Chef Rubber, yes, whole store closed. They never did have much of a showroom. You can still order online.  Only 4 weeks to go!

• Like 1

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

....and I would suggest bringing an empty box (or plastic Tupperware type container) to bring home samples, as on Sundays we display our work and enjoy being able to take home chocolates from the Workshop.  Typically we add any extras we have left from the Meet and Greet.  

My problem is, I take things home and when people ask what flavor they are, I have to claim ignorance.  It's more like Russian Roulette with chocolates.....

• Like 2

Anyone hoping to take an EZtemper home from Vegas? I'm just trying to figure out how many suitcases I'm going to need with the freebies from a number of different companies that support our workshop. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ruth,

I don't know whether you need a head count of those wishing to attend the Thursday dinner at Lotus of Siam, but if you do, I would like to be included.

When you have time:  As I know of at least one additional workshop participant since the most recent list, it would be useful to have an updated list.

Thanks,

Jim D.

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Ruth,

I don't know whether you need a head count of those wishing to attend the Thursday dinner at Lotus of Siam, but if you do, I would like to be included.

When you have time:  As I know of at least one additional workshop participant since the most recent list, it would be useful to have an updated list.

Thanks,

Jim D.

No one new yet. I'm sorry, but don't really have time to repost. Dinner rezs is set and they won't let me add. There is probably space. Won't know until day of.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

Here is the latest Agenda:

LAS VEGAS EGULLET WORKSHOP AGENDA

Thursday, May 18, 2017

1-3 pm Shopping at Jinju Chocolates and Pastries

7345 S. Rainbow Blvd., Ste 130

3-5pm Chocolate Decorations Jin Caldwell will show us chocolate decorations and sample bon bons. No charge.

This will be at her production kitchen.

4040 East Post Rd

Suite F5

Las Vegas NV 89120

United States

7:30 pm Lotus of Siam   953 E Sahara Ave A5

No host. Don’t be late. Reservations won’t hold.

Places to visit

Crunch Donuts

1220 E. Harmon Ave

Las Vegas, NV 89119

Eat --  Wonderful breakfast and lunch

707 Carson Ave,

Ronald’s Donuts

4600 Spring Mountain Rd

Friday May 19, 2017

CLASS DRESS: Chef jacket or apron, closed toe shoes, NO hair covering necessary.

9:30-11:30 am Tasting at Melissa Coppel Studio 9001 West Sahara Ave. She will give a one hour spray demo, a directed tasting of 4 of her bon bons. Cost $20 per person. Please bring cash.

Lunch on your own

1-5  Master Class by Jean Marie Auboine 4780 W. Harmon Ave.

Ganache 2 ways-slabbed and shelled

Caramel

Nougat

PDF

7-8 Meet N Greet Tuscany Hotel 3rd Floor Building H

Bring some confections you have made to share with group. There will be about 35-40 attending.

Grab a quick bite before event, or plan on dinner after.

Saturday May 20, 2017

CLASS DRESS: Chef jacket or apron, closed toe shoes, NO hair covering necessary.

Breakfast on your own.

8:30 am, Be at JMA classroom ready to go. 4780 W. Harmon Ave.

Work on your own projects, or participate in our directed activity by working in teams to make

Ganache with water, milk and cream. We will finish on Sunday and taste for differences.

Peer teaching: tempering, croquant, toffee, dry and wet caramel, cocoa butter spraying and other techniques.

A sandwich lunch is provided.

Clean up at 4:30, leave by 5

Sunday May 21, 2017

Breakfast on your own

8:30 am, Be at JMA classroom ready to go. 4780 W. Harmon Ave.

Finish projects or start new ones.

Enrobing

A sandwich lunch is provided.

Photo’s of products we made.

Clean up at 3:30, leave by 4

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

2 Qs for the workshop folks:

1.  I read something about a mold swap - will people be doing this in LV?

2.  Does anyone attending know how to take apart an Iwata airbrush AND put it back together successfully?! xD. Mine has been having issues spraying and I'm not sure if it's just clogged or I've somehow messed it up. :$

4 hours ago, pastryani said:

2.  Does anyone attending know how to take apart an Iwata airbrush AND put it back together successfully?! xD. Mine has been having issues spraying and I'm not sure if it's just clogged or I've somehow messed it up. :$

In the past, people have brought unwanted molds to sell or trade. I'm not sure how successful this is. Last time I ended up bringing a bunch of leftover molds because whoever brought them didn't want them and neither did anyone at the workshop. I just couldn't bring myself to tossing them even though I have never used them. If you can generate some interest, be my guest:)

• Like 2

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

11 hours ago, pastryani said:

Not I - think I could find a couple of brushes around that I've never been able to reassemble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Not I - think I could find a couple of brushes around that I've never been able to reassemble.

I knew it was a longshot, but figured if ever there was a group of people who used (and likely cleaned) airbrushes, this would be it!  :P

These weekends are organized all by other chocolatiers who volunteer their time.  I know it's difficult to keep this page update as well as any other social media used to coordinate the events.  It's a time consuming task that at times can be very overwhelming!   With that in mind, please make sure you are checking all outlets available for updated information and news.  I'm sure that eG will be updated as soon as possible, but sometimes, other social media outlets are a bit quicker to update. 

I applaud Ruth for coordinating and organizing an amazing and awesome weekend!  (With or without Hoot Loot)

• Like 2

There has already been a change to the Agenda for this weekend!

The location of the Friday night Meet and Greet has been changed!  We shall now meet in Building C Room 321, not on the 3rd floor of Building H as previously announced!  

Same time 7:00 to 8:00