• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

apostrophe failure

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Back with another question regarding brining pork chops.  When I look up brining directions online, I find a wide range of times.  Some say 4 hours, some say 12 hours.  When I’ve done it for as long as 6 hours, I find the meat much too salty.  Other directions say one hour per pound.  That’s when I start trying to do math in my head. 

I was a theatre major.  Neither my math nor my logic skills are up to par.  My SAT scores were so lopsided I’m surprised I don’t walk sideways.  I’m always calling Mr. Kim from the grocery store with moronic questions like “is a pint one cup or two” and “how many ounces in a pound” and the real tough one: “do you think they mean liquid or weight in ounces”. 

If I want to brine for one hour per pound of meat, does that mean: 4 half pound chops (2 lbs.) = 2 hours OR just a half an hour because each chop is only half a pound.  See what I mean?  My head hurts.  Thank you!!

I'd love to help, but just reading your question gave me a headache. The mathematical gene passed me by completely, much to my father's disgust (he was a mathematics professor). When I was told that a+b=c, I rebelled and ran off to join a circus. a+b clearly says 'ab' which means nothing!

I would have a nervous breakdown in the USA with your quaint measurements which make little sense. I can just about cope with metric.

I'm looking forward to a reasonable answer from someone more gifted in the occult arts.

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Back with another question regarding brining pork chops.  When I look up brining directions online, I find a wide range of times.  Some say 4 hours, some say 12 hours.  When I’ve done it for as long as 6 hours, I find the meat much too salty.  Other directions say one hour per pound.  That’s when I start trying to do math in my head. 

I was a theatre major.  Neither my math nor my logic skills are up to par.  My SAT scores were so lopsided I’m surprised I don’t walk sideways.  I’m always calling Mr. Kim from the grocery store with moronic questions like “is a pint one cup or two” and “how many ounces in a pound” and the real tough one: “do you think they mean liquid or weight in ounces”. 

If I want to brine for one hour per pound of meat, does that mean: 4 half pound chops (2 lbs.) = 2 hours OR just a half an hour because each chop is only half a pound.  See what I mean?  My head hurts.  Thank you!!

I'd love to help, but just reading your question gave me a headache. The mathematical gene passed me by completely, much to my fathers disgust (he was a mathematics professor). When I was told that a+b=c, I rebelled and ran off to join a circus. a+b clearly says 'ab' which means nothing!

I would have a nervous breakdown in the USA with your quaint measurements which make little sense. I can just about cope with metric.

I'm looking forward to a reasonable answer from someone more gifted in the occult arts.