• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville Hot Wok Pro

ElsieD

I am thinking of buying one of these.  This particular model has an 1800 watt heating element and according to the reviews on Amazon.ca, gets really hot.  It also got good reviews there, 24 people gave it 5 stars, 2 gave it 4 stars.  There were no other ratings.  One of the reasons I would like one is that I can use it on my balcony to deep fry stuff.  While I do occasionally deep fry in a pot on the stove, I don't like living with the smell of cooking oil afterwards.  Does anyone have this particular model?

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed typo (log)
  • Like 1

Strange.  I wasn't able to find it on Amazon.com.  I'll have to have another look.  I did ask if anyone had done any deep frying in it and I got a reply to say they had and they were pleased with the result.

I just cannot imagine a nonstick surface and deep frying ever being a good idea.  Not until somebody can come up with a completely new formulation of the nonstick surface. I know you didn't ask but here is my own opinion of the best set up for deep frying in the home or outside on the balcony for that matter.  Get a portable induction hob and then go to your favourite thrift store and wait until a stainless steel,  stove top pressure cooker shows up. You only want the base so if there's something wrong with the lid it's completely unimportant.  You will never use it as a pressure cooker anyway. I noticed they are showing up in thrift stores very often these days almost unused as people buy their Instant Pots! What you want is the heft and depth of the pan itself. It will give you plenty of room for your oil of choice without needing to fill it more than half full.  There is no danger of a fire should it overflow as there is no open flame. I find that an infrared thermometer is completely adequate for deep frying so you don't need to mess about with a candy thermometer/deep fry thermometer.  It will only take very little for you to figure out the most appropriate setting on the induction cooker to keep your oil at the right temperature for the duration of your frying session.  Just saying. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I noticed that woot.com has a Breville RM-BEW600XL Hot Wok Silver for $79.99.  It is a factory reconditioned model and the order is fulfilled by Amazon.com.  Nothing I need but it may be of interest to someone here.  

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

I just cannot imagine a nonstick surface and deep frying ever being a good idea.  Not until somebody can come up with a completely new formulation of the nonstick surface. I know you didn't ask but here is my own opinion of the best set up for deep frying in the home or outside on the balcony for that matter.  Get a portable induction hob and then go to your favourite thrift store and wait until a stainless steel,  stove top pressure cooker shows up. You only want the base so if there's something wrong with the lid it's completely unimportant.  You will never use it as a pressure cooker anyway. I noticed they are showing up in thrift stores very often these days almost unused as people buy their Instant Pots! What you want is the heft and depth of the pan itself. It will give you plenty of room for your oil of choice without needing to fill it more than half full.  There is no danger of a fire should it overflow as there is no open flame. I find that an infrared thermometer is completely adequate for deep frying so you don't need to mess about with a candy thermometer/deep fry thermometer.  It will only take very little for you to figure out the most appropriate setting on the induction cooker to keep your oil at the right temperature for the duration of your frying session.  Just saying. 

Thanks for the idea.  I have an electric wok that I haven't used in so long I'm not even sure the plug fits in modern electric sockets.  (Did I mention it was impossible to wash?)  But I also have an old six quart Cuisinart pressure cooker that is otherwise useless because Cuisinart no longer makes spare parts.  Maybe if I ever get an induction unit I will give this a try for frying.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks, Anna, for chiming in.  That was my second thought - to get a portable induction unit.  I have a good quality stove top pressure cooker (it's made by WMF) that would work just fine as the pot.  I have spent some time looking at the ones on offer but I keep dithering about that as well.  One thing for sure is that it would take up less room.

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

Or better yet, get one of the few pressure cookers that is rated to also pressure-fry.  Far less grease in the kitchen, and fabulous results..