• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas on how to clamp this grater

Franci

With a long time problem of grating chocolate, finally I've decided I'm going to buy and electric chocolate shaver. Thinking of this. Kerry, are you there  :)?

I've used for more than one year this little machine and has been wonderful. Best at making nuts flours as well. But after one year of intensive use, I had to replace it with 2 new machines in less than a month! Maybe I was lucky with the first one I got and less with the others...

So, I'm going to go temporarily back to the hand grater that I was using at the beginning of my business, just until I don't get a real shaver. This one.  It does an excellent job but it is very easy to loose the suction and the grater comes off the table easily. I know there are many Macgyvers on this forum. Any suggestion on how to clamp this thing to a table?

Thanks!!!

Edited by Franci (log)

59 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

That electric shaver is a thing of beauty!

Perhaps for the suction thing - glue it with silicone - remove it when the new one shows up.

Mmmhh, I am sharing my space at the moment. I need to ask to the other tenants if they are ok with having my grater glued  on the table :))) but seems an option! 

Edited by Franci (log)

To secure this one: Westmark Multipurpose Rotary Cheese Graterir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B000BV94N

1. Get a piece of 1/4" thick plastic that is bigger than the  machine's suction base. ($5.00?)

2. Rough up the plastic surface with fine sandpaper. Use Crazy glue to glue the suction cup to the plastic. ($2.00?)

3. Buy a couple of clamps to clamp the plastic to your work surface. ($20.00?) http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-6-in-Clutch-Style-Bar-Clamp-with-Wood-Handle-and-2-1-2-in-Throat-Depth-GSCC2-506/204986132

Good luck.

dcarch

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted link to be Amazon-friendly (log)
  • Like 2

Try the slightest smear of glycerin on the suction cup before applying the cup to the counter surface, which must be bone-dry and degreased.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.