• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dairy free icing for cupcakes

Franci

I tried to avoid cupcakes as much as I could. But having a girl in kindergarten doesn't help 9_9 I do not like the most of the cupcakes that are brought to school. My daughter and many kids just eat the frosting an don't even touch the cupcake.

I have in mind some good tasting icings but one kid in class has a severe dairy allergy. Can you help out with a recipe for icing that doesn't involve dairy, which doesn't taste pure sugar (or shortening)?

I have a recipe that I could use for the cupcakes that is made with oil and orange juice that is very moist and I like, not sure about the top. Maybe just a royal icing?

Edited by Franci (log)

How about a meringue? The old 7 Minute Frosting is a classic and can probably be doctored with some fruit puree and a bit of citric acid to cut the sweet.

Can you make an italian meringue (or swiss) buttercream and use a non-dairy butter substitute like a soy or rice butter?  We do that for people who are lactose intolerant but they know, for instance, they can have a certain type of margarine (like Fleischmanns') so they will ask us to use that in place of butter. 

As for cake, another recipe to experiment with is one my mother made frequently for us as kids; it's called "Wowie Cake" (easy to find online), it is dairy free and egg free; and if you want a vanilla version, you can sub out the cocoa powder with almond or hazelnut flour.

8 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

How about a meringue? The old 7 Minute Frosting is a classic and can probably be doctored with some fruit puree and a bit of citric acid to cut the sweet.

I'll try swiss meringue with freeze dried fruit powder?

Jeanne, thanks. I don't like very much the taste of margarine in general, maybe there are brands better than others? Any preference? Thanks

41 minutes ago, Franci said:

I'll try swiss meringue with freeze dried fruit powder?

Jeanne, thanks. I don't like very much the taste of margarine in general, maybe there are brands better than others? Any preference? Thanks

Freeze dried fruit powder is an excellent idea - no added moisture. I'd still add a titch of citric or tartaric acid to cut the sweet a bit and boost the fruit flavour.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Franci said:

Personally I don't like this meringue buttercream when it's made with margarine (I don't like margarine or shortening but sometimes that's what the client wants/can have, so we do); but I think with soy butter it might be better and adding the fruit powder (with Kerry's excellent advice about a little citric acid to help) is an excellent idea.

Edited by JeanneCake
to specify meringue buttercream (log)
  • Like 1