• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Self taught chocolatier with issues! What am I doing wrong?

BonBon

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are well. I'm a self taught chocolatier and I have run out of books so have come online in the hope that I can learn some new things. I make moulded chocolates in semi sphere moulds and that's pretty much my style, for now anyway. However I'm so fed up of getting inconsistent results so I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who can help me?

My main problem is sometimes my chocolates are shiny and sometimes not and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have attached a picture of today's chocolates. Some shiny, some not even though they were made together. Can anyone help?

I have a few other questions too. Like, if you are tempering with mycryo, is there a limit on how often you can temper that same batch with mycryo?

Also, if say I am using tempered chocolate and I scrape some excess off that has started to harden and has gone below the working temperature, will it affect my tempered chocolate if I add it to it?

Thanks 

20170127_161117.jpg

This inconsistency in the outcome is not at all unusual. Sometimes some pieces will fall out of the mold immediately, while others stick. Sometimes some pieces are nice and shiny, while others are dull. Sometimes, IMHO, there is no explanation for this situation (and we just have to guess why it happened). But I have found that since I started putting the shells in the refrigerator for a few minutes after they have been formed (after they have crystallized at room temperature), I have had far fewer cases of dull or sticking shells. This has to do with the "latent heat of crystallization" given off as chocolate crystallizes. To give credit where it's due, I learned this technique from Kerry Beal.

• Like 3