• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blue chicken broth

Josh71

After reading this news article about ramen noodles with blue chicken broth, I keep thinking to make it :)

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/01/20/tokyo-restaurant-serves-up-unusual-ramen-with-blue-chicken-broth/

I want to make it just for the fun of it! Especially for my little daughter who loves Elsa from Frozen movie, she would like this blue color ramen noodles.

Well, I don't know what would be the ingredients, probably some kind of agae, and certainly I don't want to use additive/food coloring.

I am thinking to use "butterfly pea flower" which is natural food coloring often used in drinks and dish from Asia. Nasi Kerabu from Malaysia is one of the dish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_pea_flower_tea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasi_kerabu

Butterfly pea flower can be bought online, I bought some in the past to make that blue rice :)

So, my plan for the broth, simple clear chicken ramen: Combine chicken stock with dashi and season with salt. Then put a few dried butterfly pea, and see how it goes!

Either it would turn blue or green, because chicken broth tend to be yellowish. And I should not put too much because the flower would alter the taste.

What do you think? Any cool idea to go with it? :)

Edited by Josh71 (log)

On 27/01/2017 at 7:40 PM, Josh71 said:

Well, I don't know what would be the ingredients, probably some kind of agae, and certainly I don't want to use additive/food coloring.

This makes little sense.

You don't want to use an additive? Anything you add is an additive. Salt and pepper are additives.

And you don't want to use food coloring, but you want to add something (additive) to make the color blue (coloring)?

And when you say "some kind of agae (sic)" perhaps it might be the algae specified in the very article you linked to.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

While I (partly) understand your wish to create this elusive blue broth without "artificial" dyes, I'd rather go with the tiniest pinch of methylene blue and be done with it. Used for decades, even for infections and gives the loveliest blue hue with miligrams. No impact on your broths flavor, viscosity, mouthfeel ...

Plus a surprise, when you use the bathroom the next day :D

• Like 5

On 1/31/2017 at 4:00 AM, Lisa Shock said:

How old is your daughter? If she is 4+, why don't you try several ideas on different days and have her help you with the cooking? It would be a fun cooking lesson and something of a lesson in scientific method.

She is 6 years and she sometimes wants to get involved with cooking :)

I am ordering the butterfly pea flowers, waiting to get delivered!

3 hours ago, Josh71 said:

She is 6 years and she sometimes wants to get involved with cooking :)

I am ordering the butterfly pea flowers, waiting to get delivered!

Josh, only one dried flower will give you the color you want. They are colorfully pungent.

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 4 months later...

Hmmm.. blue color chicken broth... that is interesting...  Any update on how it goes? As far as I know, Butterfly pea flower doesn't have much taste but it have a certain smell.
I mean two of my favorite food (attached picture) only use the flower as coloring only and it need quite a lot to make it really blue.

I mean you can see via the youtube link that i share of Gordon Ramsay at Malaysia with his trial with the flower. (amount of flower at 2:48, result of the blue rich at 3:24)

Nyonya Bak Chang.jpg

pulut tai tai.jpg

• Like 1