• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2017 Maine (non) Season update

johnnyd

Northern Atlantic shrimp harvests averaged 13 million lbs - Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Maine - in 2011 and 2012.  This year, much like last year, a 117,000 lb research sample has been granted to a few boats berthed on the Maine Coast.  After measurements and weights recorded, the boats can sell the shrimp retail and wholesale.

My guys on Portland's waterfront tell me a sample catch came in Monday at $9.99/pound.  It sold out by closing time.

IMG_5047.JPG

• Like 4

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Last boat out of the biomass sample period yielded these beauties...

Next sample period is early March - two weeks only

IMG_20170201_085558124.jpg

• Like 3

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

• 3 weeks later...

...which make a nice Shrimp Poke.

2-IMG_5274.JPG

Maine Shrimp Poke: pickled daikon and carrot, scallion, cilantro stem, hijiki, nori furikake, Togarashi, in house-made ponzu and sesame oil.

Edited by johnnyd
Added ingredients (log)
  • Like 7

Portland Food Map.com