• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dishwasher Detergent

GlorifiedRice

11 minutes ago, lindag said:

Yesterday I ran my Kenmore Elite d/w on the 'fast wash' setting; normally I use the 'smart' setting.

i happened to be sitting in the adjacent room while it was running and I could smell this bad, spoiled food odor.

i've never had this before and I've no idea where it came from.

I got up and ran the disposer when I first smelled it but there was no odor from there.

i checked the d/w when the cycle was over but there was no more smell.

any idea what was going on?

Is it stainless inside? I had one which was stainless inside and it interacted with something and the stainless would amplify bad food smells. Its not happening with my semi new one.

My semi new one has a built in disposal too.

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

15 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

Is it stainless inside? I had one which was stainless inside and it interacted with something and the stainless would amplify bad food smells. Its not happening with my semi new one.

My semi new one has a built in disposal too.

yes,l it is stainless.

i'll have to run that same cycle again and see if I still get that smell.

On 3/11/2017 at 3:36 PM, lindag said:

Yesterday I ran my Kenmore Elite d/w on the 'fast wash' setting; normally I use the 'smart' setting.

i happened to be sitting in the adjacent room while it was running and I could smell this bad, spoiled food odor.

i've never had this before and I've no idea where it came from.

I got up and ran the disposer when I first smelled it but there was no odor from there.

i checked the d/w when the cycle was over but there was no more smell.

any idea what was going on?

Could be food stuck in the food trap. Might need cleaning.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

41 minutes ago, NancyH said:

What is TSP?

TriSodium Phosphate.  It's a powdered cleaning/scrubbing agent available in hardware stores.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

STPP is preferable to TSP in hard water areas.  And seeing that you're in SoCal, as am I, you might want to check it out:

https://www.google.com/search?q=stpp+vs+tsp

I buy it in small quantities (under 10 lbs) on eBay.

• Like 1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.