• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No Morbier

Paul Fink

Its been years since I seen a good Morbier.

I had some domestic cheeses that claimed to be morbier but they where pretty bad.

The local cheese shop said  the don't have any.

Is there some kind of shortage? Embargo? 

I think that depends where you are located ... if in France I'd say look harder ;)

If in a country that does not allow import of unpasteurized cheese maybe you will never get a proper one ...

I could go on, but maybe you give me a hint first.

34 minutes ago, TicTac said:

You would have to share where you are located, clearly; in order for anyone to offer further assistance...however, here in Toronto there are numerous cheese shops that sell Morbier (and even some mass 'supermarkets').

Sorry, I am in Minneapolis MN I have also tried a cheese shop in Bolder CO

Maybe the dollar/euro conversion rate made it too expensive when the euro was really high and your stores dropped it... now that the Euro is cheaper again, if you ask, maybe they'll bring it back.  Markets for such stuff are often price sensitive... That which sells for $12/lb sits on the shelf at $20.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

@Paul Fink, have you checked with Surdyk's? I haven't been there in a few years, but they used to have an excellent selection of cheeses.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown