• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Acrylamide Alert

liuzhou

The latest health scare? Is your breakfast toast going to kill you.

The UK Food Standards Agency has reported that

Acrylamide is a chemical that is created when many foods, particularly starchy foods like potatoes and bread, are cooked for long periods at high temperatures, such as when baking, frying, grilling, toasting and roasting. The scientific consensus is that acrylamide has the potential to cause cancer in humans.

Guardian article here

UK Food Standards Agency article here. This also contains a link to the full research report.

By the way, Chinese people have been telling me for years that anything even slightly charred is highly dangerous. They won't touch it.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

16 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

By the way, Chinese people have been telling me for years that anything even slightly charred is highly dangerous. They won't touch it.

They surely wouldn't like the way I cook my steak over charcoal then. Burnt on the outside and red rare on the inside. Pittsburgh.

I also read this years ago about grilled foods and french fries, but that did not alter my course as I happen to love both of these foods. The current science may even be good on this one, but food cooked over wood and fried potatoes are such a long tradition, I tend to put it down to the "Sleeper" syndrome of evil food of the moment. :)

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

"...has the potential to cause cancer.."  I ask you is there anything that doesn't have the potential? My guess is only those things that have not been tested yet.  Carry on. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Give it a couple of years. They'll be telling us we should only ever eat burnt toast.

I think I'll write a burnt toast cookbook. Get in early.

"Burnt toast. 100 ways to burn bread - Available from all good book stores now"

I can feel fame and fortune on the horizon.

(4,444th  post  - damn there is nothing more unlucky in China!)

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Well, I know from many years of dieting that TOASTING bread changes it somehow and if you eat toasted bread on a diet it is different as opposed to plain bread. Some people have noticed blood sugar reading differences after eating toast as opposed to untoast. On the Victoria Principal diet we were only allowed TOAST.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!