• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Super Bowl 2017: what are you serving?

Okanagancook

Thought I was done with the advance prep part for this year but I decided to add some mini Jamaican beef patties. I'll hopefully get those done tonight or tomorrow night. I wanted egg rolls on this years menu but I was getting a bit disenchanted with wrapping things by the time I finished the pork dumplings and the rangoons so those probably won't happen. If I can convince myself to tackle them anyway, I'll most likely drop the pork I was planning to do in the crockpot.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Ok, please help me settle a..."passionate discussion"...I had with DH today, about how much Super Bowl food (variety-wise) is enough food for 7-10 people.

So far I'm contributing cheeseburger sliders, and a few people are bringing two meaty dishes (don't know what they are - probably mini corndogs or dry ribs), and pakoras. Someone always brings chips & dip/salsa or popcorn.

DH says that's enough food. I say, no way!! There's enough entree-type things, but we'll need at least a few more snacky things, something veg, and something sweet!

What say you, eGullet?

• Like 3

I agree with you! I like having an equal number of snacky things to entree-type things. So for your 3 entrees (I'll set pakoras into a bridge category), if someone brings chip/dip/salsa, you need something like hummus or spinach dip with veggies. How about some pickled things (olives, mushrooms and such) that you can spear with a toothpick? Cookies, mini brownie squares. Done!

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2 hours ago, Beebs said:

Ok, please help me settle a..."passionate discussion"...I had with DH today, about how much Super Bowl food (variety-wise) is enough food for 7-10 people.

So far I'm contributing cheeseburger sliders, and a few people are bringing two meaty dishes (don't know what they are - probably mini corndogs or dry ribs), and pakoras. Someone always brings chips & dip/salsa or popcorn.

DH says that's enough food. I say, no way!! There's enough entree-type things, but we'll need at least a few more snacky things, something veg, and something sweet!

What say you, eGullet?

I'm at four different items now and debating at least one more... and I'm watching the game alone. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

4 hours ago, Beebs said:

What say you, eGullet?

I am with you Beebs.  Your suggestions are good.  May want some savoury baked stuff like things you can get at M & M ‘s.  Easy to prepare and not bad.

• Like 1

We're going to the annual Super Bowl party and the hosts have requested appetizers, side dishes or desserts. My spouse likes to make apple pie--I wish he wouldn't obsess so much over the crust, but that's an engineer for you--and I think I'll make cheese straws, though that is not certain. There is no Pepperidge Farm puff pastry here so I'll have to do without. I've made these before with a much simpler pastry, sort of a blitz type with much less rolling and turning, and it works nicely. I've been perusing my recipe files and have been sorely tempted by other things, so my decision may change at the last minute. So many recipes, so little time.

I have no dog in the hunt this year--alas, the Broncos turned into the Donkeys, as they so often do, sometime in the middle of the season--so I just hope for a good game, without questionable refereeing and minimal injuries. I have a long history with the Broncos--anybody remember Craig Morton?--so I'm accustomed to disappointment. I just wish my dad had lived long enough to see the Cubs win the World Series.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 5

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

I'm the only one in the household who will have an eye on the game, so my SB blowout will consist of something along the lines of one beer and a half-dozen crackers with cheese. Perhaps a few slices of garlic sausage. 

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

It's just me and my daughter for the game, and she hates football. She's requested appetizers, but gives no specifics. I should head to the store soon or maybe procrastinate another hour or so. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

To honor the NFL, I'll be serving hollowed-out calves brains filled with oatmeal, cracked-open marrow bones, and blood sausage.

Not really. I plan to make burgers, fries, and cole slaw. However, instead of football, we'll watch Kings of Pastry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Well Gramps is hosting today's festivities.  He is picking up multiple pizzas, pop, and a veggie tray.  My SIL is bringing 7 layer dip and chips. 

I am bringing homemade snickerdoodles and chocolate chip cookies, hot spinach-artichoke dip and crackers, and chipped beef dip and crackers. 

There will be 14 people there, but my son (aka The Moose)  can eat enough for 4 people-thus, I bring more food.  Its going to be hard to keep him fed today. He's working a 8 hour shift at the ski hill, and then has to run to his second job to take care of farm animals (feed and water.) 

• Like 5

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Extremely forgettable food at the political fundraiser/watch party. Good beer, though, from the local homebrew club. Had a pineapple cider that was quite excellent. 

Came home at halftime, but couldn't be bothered to fix anything else to eat.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I capped the Game :  EyeTV => iMac   1080i  over the air

I checked the 1/2 time score and was pleased.

this AM I checked the last minute :

now I can watch the game and enjoy it !

Ill pick up various snacks and things from TJ's and enjoy them w some MR !

although Im In Their Area , 

their attitude to The Rules  leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 2

Ill have to add some Scrapple to my Afternoon Feast !

P.S. :  I did watch the first quarter  ' Live ' and could see it was going to be a good game.

its a shame that NE has deteriorated so badly over the years with its view of Gamesmanship.

might have started w the SnowPlow  Field Goal or perhaps before that

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

It was a heck of a game, for sure. It really followed the script, right up to that last couple of minutes. Seriously...almost to the 2-minute warning, the ball is in Brady's hands, and if you score the touchdown you win the game. Doesn't that always seem to be the way it shakes out? Win or lose, the Pats' Superbowls always seem to hang on that one play, and last night it was the strip-sack. 

To the extent that I invest in NFL football (the CFL is a more entertaining product IMO) I started following the Pats when they were the underdogs in '85, making their unlikely run to the big game only to run into the juggernaut that was "Dose Bears." I figure getting in before Bledsoe - never mind Brady - gives me the right to root for them unblushingly. That said, I like the Eagles and was perfectly happy to seem them bring off the upset. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Well the game did not end the way my group would have liked, but the food was good.  Guacamole

guacamole.thumb.jpg.1ddd34bd18ac86af613c87157f161da8.jpg

Cheese ball

5a787e5606352_cheeseball.thumb.jpg.148562fabda733159d3738687d42dba4.jpg

Buffalo chicken sliders

5a787e519ad1c_buffalochickensliders.thumb.jpg.d802b9f3a6d8cec71d512c5f5d072be7.jpg

mini muffalettas

muffaletta.thumb.jpg.1df6cb8a9b3ef9ff623ce05a81cc9a76.jpg

Shrimp cocktail

shrimp.thumb.jpg.01d00d54b290e60dfd6fb81be72e43ea.jpg

pigs in a blanket

5a787e6907ca0_pigsinblanket.thumb.jpg.6727d949e612cdaa712e40afe0a51eac.jpg

Tuna poke

5a787e704270c_tunapoke.thumb.jpg.71c830f85a89a5298ff088c439314195.jpg

Sriracha wings

wings.thumb.jpg.41ed2a826de6bec00826bbbff014106c.jpg

Lobster rolls

5a787e62c7788_lobsterrolls.thumb.jpg.f3647c0854f59b254795309204e33da4.jpg