• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Super Bowl 2017: what are you serving?

Okanagancook

So much failure... Atlanta throws away a 25 point lead and I was so full from the mini corn dogs that the Jamaican beef patties never made it to the oven. Guess I know what's for dinner tomorrow.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Not even half time and I had eaten far too much.

The sleeper of the night was Buffalo Wing Chicken dip that my mom brought - a few extra squirts of Franks and it was killer with some nachos!

While I wanted the falcons to win (I detest cheaters), I am no true fan (besides the 49'ers, but that goes back many years to the Montana days), but my sympathies are with true Falcon fans.  What a choke....

• Like 3

I'd picked the Pats to win, but didn't watch most of the game (my GF has been feeling poorly, so we curled up on the couch under a blanket and binged Twin Peaks) and was shocked at how they got there when all was said and done. I *did* come back to check the score, and was in time to watch the winning touchdown.

As you may guess from the above, SB food was minimal chez Chrome. Store-bought tortellini for dinner with caramelized onions and crumbled bacon (lunch was veg-centric, so I didn't miss 'em at dinner), and one piece of chocolate while watching TV. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I have to say, watching Goodell hand the trophy to Kraft was the highlight of my evening.  Ha!  

I did not get pictures of everything I served, but here are some photos.  First, Patriots M+Ms.  I did not make these, I just thought they were cool.

m+ms.jpg

I also had Tom Brady football gummy candies, but no pictures of those.  

Tenderloins ready to go in the oven:

raw.jpg

And served with basil parmesan aioli

tenderloin.jpg

Chicken piccata for the non-red meat eaters. There was more chicken than the one piece that appears in this photo!

chicken picatta.jpg

Cheese-stuffed garlic rolls

rolls.jpg

A couple of post-halftime foods--I did not get many pictures at this point.  Cross section of meatwich before it was sliced into smaller serving pieces:

meatwich2.jpg

guacamole

guacamole.jpg

Duck boat parade tomorrow.

• Like 17

Well, dang.  Was rooting for the underdog Falcons this year, but blowing a 25 point lead....daaaanng.

Smaller group than usual this year, partly owing to a snowfall warning over the weekend.  Served pulled pork (used the Serious Eat recipe as a guide) on rolls with coleslaw, red pepper hummus platter, apple pie & ice cream.  People contributed mini corn dogs, guacamole & salsa, and spring rolls.  Nixed the potstickers & puff pastry tart - it would have been too much food for a small group. Too bad - those would have gone towards the Freezer Challenge.

• Like 2

I'm not particularly a fan or hater of either team, I was mainly pulling for Atlanta because I'd like to see Julio Jones get a Super Bowl to go with his college national championship (been a loyal Bama fan since I was a youngster, I enjoy college ball just as much as pro... maybe even slightly more). Gonna be eating leftover game food tonight, hopefully it will help me cope with the knowledge that it's going to be 7 months before football returns. :(

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

but only a week or so until pitchers and catchers,,,,,,,

Football (NFL and U.S. college) is pretty much the only sport I get into enough to follow consistently. I'll watch the occasional baseball, basketball or hockey game and a couple of the higher profile golf majors if I don't have something else I'd rather be doing but I don't follow any of it in any serious manner. I always catch as much as I can of the Tour de France and the Giro d'Italia but they don't always cooperate well with my work schedule. But Saturday and Sunday during the season tend to be dedicated to football... and food to watch the games with.

Guacamole with Pork Rinds.  I do a very basic recipe of smashed avocado, diced onion, cilantro, a bit of fresh jalapeno, a bit of diced tomato and lime juice.  For this recipe I stirred in some baby shrimp.  The best part is serving it with pork rinds.  I buy the pork rinds at a local Mexican grocer and they are nice big thick shards great for dipping.

IMG_1583.JPGIMG_1586.JPG

• Like 7

• 11 months later...

Here we go again!

What's for eats this year?

Thinking of cheeseburger sliders. What's a good way of making a bunch of mini burger patties? I don't want to form a pile of individual patties and grill them (lazy!). Has anyone tried making one giant flat patty in a pan, baking in the oven, and slicing them up into squares? Like a flat meatloaf.

You could use a round cutter also.  Great idea and do not see why that wouldn’t work.  Probably need to ensure you use adequate binding agents to keep their shape when cut....transglutaminase comes to mind if you have some.

1 hour ago, Beebs said:

Thinking of cheeseburger sliders. What's a good way of making a bunch of mini burger patties? I don't want to form a pile of individual patties and grill them (lazy!). Has anyone tried making one giant flat patty in a pan, baking in the oven, and slicing them up into squares? Like a flat meatloaf.

I haven't done it myself, but I see home versions of White Castle burgers/sliders around and they often involve baking in a pan, then cutting. 

Like this:

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/almost-white-castle-hamburgers-109264#activity-feed

Or this:

https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/our-version-of-white-castle-sliders/

Or this one:

http://athriftymom.com/white-castle-burger-copycat-recipe-baked-in-the-oven-so-easy/

Do a search for White Castle burger recipe and you can see other approaches, also. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

Going to friends. Their menu is as follows and I will take veggies and dip.

First half -

Meat/cheese/cracker tray
Chips and dip
Salsa/guacamole/tortilla chips 

Half time -

The hot stuff:
chicken wings
Chutney cheese turnovers
Meatballs
Sausage-stuffed mushroom caps

Sweet stuff after -

Christmas baking from the freezer!!

• Like 3

I'm going to a watch party that's also a fundraiser for a Congressional candidate, so whatever they serve.

Some of my faves to have served in the past include:

• Pulled pork sliders
  • Ham and cheese rolls
  • Reuben sandwich loaf (triple rye bread, rolled thin, layered with corned beef, kraut, cheese, thousand island, and the edges of the bread sliced into strips and woven over the top and baked)
  • Boiled fingerling potatoes, cut in half and topped with sour cream and caviar
  • Beer-candied bacon
  • A nice variety of cheese and charcuterie on a big board
  • Crostini and my favorite fig tapenade.
  • A big pot of vegetable beef soup
  • Brownies

Not necessarily all on the same menu, but those are some that have gotten good reviews over the years.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 1/29/2018 at 5:04 PM, Beebs said:

Here we go again!

What's for eats this year?

I can vouch for this recipe.  I have a hard time getting the meat to completely cover the sheet pan, but otherwise, it works well.

We are going to hide out at home this year.  We really don't have much interest - no one to root for.  The Cheatriots?  Nope.  A team that hired Mike Vick.  Nada.  So we'll watch the commercials and the half time show.  Jessica is requesting some retro snacks (artichoke dip, crab meltaways, etc.) and we made the mistake of going to Costco hungry and sampled those little bagel pizzas and convinced ourselves that we'd eat all 9000 of them.  Sigh.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Not sure what came over me but I actually started early this year and spent the weekend doing some prepping. In the freezer now, ready to be cooked, are pork potstickers, crab rangoons and my own variation on sausage balls. I tweaked the usual sausage, cheddar cheese and bisquick recipe a bit by using a mixture of ground pork, finely diced ham, finely diced pineapple and sliced green onions, replaced the cheddar with swiss and used a mixture of flour, baking powder and salt instead of buying a box of bisquick. I baked a couple and adjusted the seasoning, scooped it into balls and tossed them in the freezer. That's pretty much it for the make-ahead stuff. I'm going to make dipping sauces on Saturday: a pineapple-habanero sauce, a ginger-soy sauce and a personal favorite for this type of munching (and I'm not going to apologize for it :D )... a mixture of plum sauce,  chile oil and a little rice vinegar. On game day morning, I'm going to coat cubes of pork in cornstarch, brown them in the deep fryer and toss them in the crockpot with a pineapple based sauce. If anybody is getting a tiki bar feel from this menu, that's exactly the plan. Tiki bar type food, tiki drinks, try to bring a little feel of places warm to this really long cold streak we're having this winter. And if anybody noticed a distinct lack of vegetables on the menu, that was unintentional (or maybe subconsciously intentional) and I'm deciding if/what I want to add to remedy that situation.

• Like 5

Afternoon munchies:

guacamole and chips

jumbo shrimp cocktail 

tuna poke in wonton cups

the “bits and pieces” cheese ball from The NY Times, but rolled in herbs only, no nuts because my inlaws cannot eat them, with crackers and crudité

early evening food:

lobster rolls

muffaletta

crispy buffalo chicken sliders

I am leaning towards this being enough but may add one more wave of snacky chip-like things for towards the end of the game.

Edited by liamsaunt
Typo (log)
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Afternoon munchies:

guacamole and chips

jumbo shrimp cocktail 

tuna poke in wonton cups

the “bits and pieces” cheese ball from The NY Times, but rolled in herbs only, no nuts because my inlaws cannot eat them, with crackers and crudité

early evening food:

lobster rolls

muffaletta

crispy buffalo chicken sliders

I am leaning towards this being enough but may add one more wave of snacky chip-like things for towards the end of the game.

Tuna poke and lobster rolls. Best offer I've seen. I'd love to try to make that one.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@liamsaunt Tuna poke! Can I come to your party?

Along with the cheeseburger sliders, other people are bringing pakoras, "something porky", and "something meaty". Someone else will probably bring chips & salsa.

Need to add a few more things, preferably a meat-free, dairy-free item, and something desserty.

Maybe Bloody Caesar shrimp cocktail and smoked salmon roll ups. Scallion pancake or potsticker with dipping sauce? Summer rolls with peanut sauce?

I feel a not as organized this year.

• Like 1