• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Super Bowl 2017: what are you serving?

Okanagancook

Well, I once absent-mindedly licked the spoon after scooping freshly caramelized sugar out of a pot, so I'm not one to throw the first stone. :P

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

It's semi-potluck this year.  Tentatively, I'm providing pulled pork sandwiches as a main, potstickers, and another snack or two.  I'd like to do a warm dip that is not of the creamy mayo variety (but yogurt is fine).  Any suggestions?  Maybe a warm bean dip??  

What else should I add?  Shrimp cocktail??

25 minutes ago, Beebs said:

I'd like to do a warm dip that is not of the creamy mayo variety (but yogurt is fine).  Any suggestions?  Maybe a warm bean dip??  

Warm bean dip is great, especially if it involves melted cheese. I like hot spinach/artichoke dip, and I use bechamel sauce for the base. Baked crab and cream cheese dip with scallions is good too. I don't care for mayo based dips either.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I plan on hosting about a dozen or so people (although more may drop in).  I eat very little red meat these days (mostly fish, rice, and veggies), so superbowl is one of my excuses to pig out and eat lots of meaty stuff.  Not necessarily a huge football fan, just in it for the food! 

This is how my menu is shaping up -

Fried coconut shrimp (picked up a 3 lb case of pre-breaded coconut shrimp from the restaurant supply store for $15).  I'll just drop a bunch in my deep fryer before the game (and maybe more at halftime) and serve them with mae ploy sweet chili sauce)
Tri-tip sliders.  Choice angus tri-tip is often on sale for $2.99/lb around here and I've got 7 left in my chest freezer (down from 16) that I need to go through.  I'll prob sous-vide a three pounder, shave it on my meat slicer, and then serve it in a pile next to some king's Hawaiian rolls.
Chicken wings - trad spicy with Franks, rosemary garlic, and teriyaki.  I'll marinate the teriyaki and rosemary garlic the day before.  Throw them all on my pellet grill and then keep warm in a chaffing dish. 
Build-your-own Sonoran hot dogs - the bacon wrapped hot dogs will go on the pellet grill after the wings come off.  The rest of the condiments will be prepped and laid out on the buffet so people can build whatever they want. 

I had originally thought about a team-themed food menu but decide against it.  Maybe chowder and lobster rolls for NE and fried chicken/bbq/soul food for Atlanta, but once I got it down on paper, everything was too heavy, entrée-like, and tricky to turn into snackable items.   

• Like 6

This year I'm going to do chicken wings, but I'm doing them with this wonderful Korean fry mix that I've been buying for a few years now.  You mix it with ice water to make a thin batter but I use beer which gives the chicken a more crispy texture.  It's sort of a tempura texture but a heavier coating.  I marinate the wings in soy sauce and Chinese rice wine for about 4 hours then dip in the batter and fry at 375 about 8 minutes.  I've got a countertop digital fryer and I can easily do many, many wings to serve a large group.  This is a photo of what onion rings look like with the batter-

post-41580-0-60472000-1432510928_thumb.jpg

post-41580-0-59627500-1432510898_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Dang, now you've whetted my appetite so I am going to add clam chowder to the menu.  That's a great dish for Superbowl.

• Like 1

You can always use chowder as a filling for bouchees, if you want to stick to finger foods but keep the New England theme. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

If you're looking to read about or be inspired by classy or fancy or even elevated Super Bowl grub, you'll probably be happier avoiding my posts. :D One of my current ideas is to make the filling for Jamaican beef patties but mix all of the seasoning items into the raw meat instead of cooking it. That way I can make meatballs with it, bake them off, wrap them in dough when cool and toss them in the fridge. Then during the game I can just drop them into the cake pop maker I mentioned above and let them bake. I'm also considering a corn dog batter seasoned with onion and jalapeno that I can scoop into the cake pop maker, insert a piece of pre-browned smoked sausage and bake. I can get semi-locally made smoked sausages that are more spicy than the average "spicy" grocery store offerings that I think would work really well for this. I may add something else that doesn't involve the cake pop maker (two types of meat in bread seems more than sufficient) but it would still be something similarly simple and not requiring game-time effort. Maybe a soup in the crockpot or something along that line.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Your ideas with the cake pop maker sound excellent BUT, grrrh, I am NOT buying one!>:(

You see this is how it starts.  Maybe you need a separate thread for the cake pop maker and count how many people cave and buy one. Ha, ah.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Your ideas with the cake pop maker sound excellent BUT, grrrh, I am NOT buying one!>:(

You see this is how it starts.  Maybe you need a separate thread for the cake pop maker and count how many people cave and buy one. Ha, ah.

Nope, not trying to sell anybody on the idea of the cake pop maker. I wouldn't buy it for myself, I bought it originally because my wife wanted one. I'm still leaning towards giving/donating it, and the assorted accessories and supplies that go with it, to somebody who will put it to good use... after the Super Bowl.

Edit: Now I'm wondering if the electric fondue pot gets hot enough to deep fry the bite-sized corn dog things... I've never actually had a baked corn dog and picking the healthier option isn't really part of the equation for this menu. I'm kinda liking the idea of cooking everything in these seldom used kitchen gadgets that are taking up space in the kitchen.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Not hosting anything but I just made a triple batch of Vivian Howard's "party magnet" cheese ball.  One to bring along to a Super Bowl gathering and a couple for the freezer.  These were a big hit over the holidays - I got a lot of requests for the recipe.

• Like 2

I wasn't planning on doing a dessert until I saw the beauty German Chocolate Cake RobertM posted in the "Daily Sweets" thread. After that, it had to happen. I'm not a big cake eater in general but I love the frosting used for that cake. Then it occurred to me that this was my offense so I called an audible and made a big pan of nice, fudgy brownies that I then topped with an overkill amount of the German Chocolate Cake frosting. Probably going to be richness overload... but the Super Bowl is once a year so that's okay.

• Like 4

Superbowl is an excuse for us to eat....well....garbage, quite frankly - but it is a treat! :)

Menu includes:

- Nachos

- Nachos with melted  cheddar

- Onion soup mix dip

- Guacamole

- Salsa

- Mozzarella sticks w/ Marinara sauce dip

- 'Pinwheels' - puff pastry, with various toppings (black olive paste & parm, tomato chutney & cheddar) rolled and sliced & baked.

- Bread Knots (quite tasty actually and relatively new to us, my sister makes these, baked knots of bread, then tossed in garlic/parsley/parm/olive oil)

- Might need something green so perhaps an arugula salad of some sort.

For Libations I am thinking of doing a Meyer lemon daiquiri.

• Like 4

Anyone in NW New Jersey want a visitor?   My team is in but I am just not into making food since Johnnybird isn't around and I am suffering from a bad case of SAD.  Maybe I'll dress Smudge and Sinder up in opposing kitty jerseys?    Nahhhhhhhhh.... that's too cruel.

• Like 7

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

So the bite-size Jamaican beef patties are a definite. I mixed a couple pounds of ground beef with some fresh bread crumbs, an egg, habaneros, garlic, green onions, fresh thyme and a spice mixture of salt, pepper, allspice, curry powder and cayenne and, because it's something I like to do with sausage and meatball mixtures, a little MSG. I was going to cook the meatballs tonight but I've decided to give it an overnight in the fridge to let everything get friendly with each other. I also mixed some minced habanero, minced garlic, thyme, salt and lime juice into some sour cream to serve as a dip for the patties. Tomorrow I'm going to cook the meatballs, cool them, wrap them in puff pastry (purchased) and they'll be ready to go for game time. The mini hot sausage corn dogs don't require much prep work, just mix the batter and I'm going to pre-brown the sausage pieces even though they're fully cooked because they taste better that way. I probably won't make anything else. I have some pickles and pickled beets in the fridge that can serve as something to break up the meat-and-bread richness and a dessert, I think that's more than sufficient for just me and the kid. She's not at all interested in the game but she'll help eat the food.

• Like 5

Sounds delish.

Nothing wrong with a little MSG btw - so much nonsense surrounding this naturally occurring substance (in tomatoes as an example).

If I was frying up (anything) I would toss some shaved onions tossed in a bit of flower.  But then again I am a SUCKER for Onion strings (I blame growing up in Scottsdale and going to Hoolahans for their Onion 'brick'!).

• Like 2

Today, and only today, I am an Atlanta fan.  I will revert back to a Bronco fanatic after the game. 

Nothing fancy.  I have chicken wings and gizzards soaking in egg and buttermilk.  I made a key lime pie in the Instant Pot which turned out amazing.  I have homemade ranch dressing spiked with chunks of blue cheese.  I have celery and broccoli cut up along with some prosciutto and cheese.  Deviled eggs were a must.  So, all of that with fried wings and gizzards and fries.  I might get ambitious and make a beer batter for some mushrooms and onion rings......

Have a great time watching the game everyone :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Today, and only today, I am an Atlanta fan.  I will revert back to a Bronco fanatic after the game. 

Nothing fancy.  I have chicken wings and gizzards soaking in egg and buttermilk.  I made a key lime pie in the Instant Pot which turned out amazing.  I have homemade ranch dressing spiked with chunks of blue cheese.  I have celery and broccoli cut up along with some prosciutto and cheese.  Deviled eggs were a must.  So, all of that with fried wings and gizzards and fries.  I might get ambitious and make a beer batter for some mushrooms and onion rings......

Have a great time watching the game everyone :) 

I wish I'd thought of deviled eggs. I like them but I never think of them when planning stuff like this.

The above mentioned cake pop maker isn't going to get the job of baking the mini Jamaican beef patties. They didn't shrink as much in the oven as I guessed they would. With the dough wrapper, they're too big for the gadget so the oven will have to take over. I'm still going to try the mini corn dog things in the cake pop maker but I'm not 100% sold on the idea of corn dogs being baked instead of deep fried. We'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

Being a Pats fan, half time was not the rowdy meal I had hoped for, but we will carry on!

Here is the spread we did.

IMG_1039.JPG

U-16 shrimp cocktail

IMG_1038.JPG

Korean BBQ wings (from the freezer)

IMG_1037.JPG

The last of the TJ's shrimp puffs (also from the freezer)

IMG_1036.JPG

Chorizo stuffed littleneck clams.

HC

IMG_1035.JPG 

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 7

chris,,,,how fast can I get up there.  I'm waiting for my BIL, a Jets turned Atlanta fan, to be a real a**hole ..... well maybe not since he will be too drunk to text.

just did some pigs in a blanket I had frozen and some meatballs that I tossed in some good tomato sauce.  Not a big seafood person(ate toooooo much when I was younger and growing up) but I want those wings.......but can I have the carrot sticks and blue cheese dipping sauce they serve at the Anchor?

• Like 2

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Got in from a day on the road shortly before kickoff. Unpacked and repacked to leave at 6 tomorrow morning for a two-day trip. Expect I will be in bed by the time the fourth quarter starts. Given a late lunch at an all-you-can-eat buffet on the road, all of which was excellent save the banana pudding, which, sadly, was not, I let a single Dark and Stormy do it for me. The planned snacks can stay in the pantry, freezer and fridge, and I'll get to 'em when I get back later this week.

Go, Falcons.

Pitchers and catchers report in two weeks, by the way, and the REAL season can begin.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

Pitchers and catchers report in two weeks, by the way, and the REAL season can begin.

YES!!!!!!!!!!

Where do you want to meet?

• Like 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites