• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Super Bowl 2017: what are you serving?

Okanagancook

Well we are approaching the date.  I have 9 people to watch the game.

i am making cannelloni, salad and homemade garlic bread for after the game which will be dinner time out here in the west.

for snacking during the game I will have some fried Mexican chorizo and cheese in a fondue warming pot to be served with homemade tortillas.  As well some hummus and homemade pitas.  Guest will be bringing something but do no know what at the moment.

for drinks, I prefer beer with football so will get some nice craft beers.  Maybe get things rolling with some Manhattans!

what are you planning?

go Packers,Just say'n :D

• Like 5

I suspect it will be two of us, one of whom gives not a flip about the game. Therefore, my significant concern will be something that can be:

• Cooked in advance
  • Most of the cleanup done in advance
  • Nibbled on throughout the game, as opposed to a major meal
  • Not generate a ton of leftovers I'll have to put up

I'm thinking perhaps a soup or stew, done well ahead, enough left out to serve a couple of portions that evening and maybe a couple later in the week, the rest frozen. Some kind of sweets that can be nibbled along as I get the notion (I have a bag of white chocolate chips that have been staring at me, so I may grab some macadamia nuts and make cookies.) Some kind of chips, some kind of dip. Some kind of crackers, some kind of cheese. Maybe some carrot sticks and hummus. 

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I haven't thought about Super Bowl food yet, I should get started soon. It'll probably just be me and there won't be a meal that night, the game food will be dinner as well. I'll most likely be drinking water so not much to get excited about there.
You may get the Packers in the Super Bowl. I think Atlanta has the more solid offense right now and should be able to take it but it's hard to bet against Aaron Rodgers.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Yup, good matchups tonight. Packers would be an easier choice if their secondary was healthy, though. Tough to favor a banged-up unit against Matt R et al. 

That being said, Atlanta's secondary is less than stellar. Should be a wildly entertaining game, however it ends. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

48 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Yup, good matchups tonight. Packers would be an easier choice if their secondary was healthy, though. Tough to favor a banged-up unit against Matt R et al. 

That being said, Atlanta's secondary is less than stellar. Should be a wildly entertaining game, however it ends. 

I was thinking more about 3 of Rodgers top 4 receivers being questionable to play but yeah, having a beat up secondary against Ryan with Jones and Sanu isn't a comfy situation either. But Aaron Rodgers is the master at pulling a rabbit out of his hat when he needs one so we'll see. Today's game food is going to play into Anna's freezer challenge thread. Just basic snacks for the early game but the late game is going to be dinner which will be steak and mushroom fried rice based on what I blindly pulled from the freezer last night (sirloin steak). I might start planning the Super Bowl menu today as well.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

One of my favorite SB memories is of my then-young daughter watching the Rolling Stones' halftime show with me. After watching Jagger dance and writhe across the stage for 20 minutes (or whatever it was) she opined gravely, "He's a wiggly person."

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Didn't really have a dog in the first fight, other than to mildly prefer the Pack. Oops.

Now am engaged in pulling for the Steelers. If we wind up with a New England-Atlanta Super Bowl, I may choose to read instead.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

14 minutes ago, kayb said:

Didn't really have a dog in the first fight, other than to mildly prefer the Pack. Oops.

Now am engaged in pulling for the Steelers. If we wind up with a New England-Atlanta Super Bowl, I may choose to read instead.

That's the matchup I'd picked. If it goes that way, I'd take the Pats over Atlanta despite their high-octane offence. 

Well, the Seahawks aren't in it this year, so.....no horse in this race.  

Last year we hosted a Chinese New Year Super Bowl Birthday Party, which was interesting.  Think we'll keep it low-key this year.  I'll provide a main, a snack, and everything else is potluck.

I've got some freezer stuff I want to use up, but it won't be part of Anna N's freezer game, since I don't want to plan around pulling out random stuff.  

Not sure what to serve yet.

Unless eGullet talks me down, my plans are currently leaning towards the quick and easy. I have a cake pop maker (basically a waffle iron that makes twelve spheres instead of a waffle) that my wife used but I never have. I've had it sitting on the kitchen table while I debate finding a new home for it. On a whim, I looked through the recipe books she had with it and I've discovered a whole world of ideas for bite-sized snacks of the non-sweet variety that can be made in this device. So now I'm coming up with my own idea for things to make in it. Prep doughs and batters and fillings and have them in the fridge, run a batch through the machine when needed (thus having them always be fresh and hot without having to do much in the way of last minute effort or game-time babysitting) and have some nice dipping options that pair well with whatever items I decide to make.

I'm still undecided on who I'll pull for in the game. I honestly think Atlanta has the better overall team and wouldn't mind seeing them finish a great season with the win... but there would be something satisfying about watching Goodell have to hand Brady that trophy. :D

• Like 4

Sounds very interesting...the cake pop maker not the game. :D

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I think the only reason(s) I have to watch the game (who am I kidding; I don't understand football. At. All.) is 1) for the commercials and 2) to actually see this Goodell person have to be polite to Tom Brady - because if even *I* can understand the science behind "deflating" footballs, this guy shouldn't be in charge of making ice cubes, much less a football organization.  Anyway I know people have strong feelings about the Pats (I myself am neutral, but it is a welcome diversion from politics), I do not. 

Our game day  menu will be very similar to previous years:  Havana Moon Chili (from the epicurious.com site) minus the almonds and with extra olives, over rice for most of the guests and over spaghetti for my husband. I am partial to teriyaki chicken wings and veggies and hummus; a few years ago someone wanted the Velveeta/RoTel tomato dip and I embarrassed myself in the supermarket by having to ask where the Velveeta was because I couldn't find it with the other cheese in the dairy aisle so I might be asked to make that again. How do you keep it from getting clumpy after a while?  Anyone remember the artichoke dip that was popular years ago? I might make that if I can find a recipe.....

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Very interesting.  Great for parties.

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2015/02/6-things-can-make-cake-pop-maker-besides-cake.html

falcons over the cheaters....what will it be this year?

I've seen youtube videos of people using it to make takoyaki but there's zero chance of me getting my hands on octopus before next weekend.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Sub in some squid?

That's about as easy to get where I live as the octopus. It's okay though, I wasn't really planning in an Asian direction anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

...a few years ago someone wanted the Velveeta/RoTel tomato dip and I embarrassed myself in the supermarket by having to ask where the Velveeta was because I couldn't find it with the other cheese in the dairy aisle so I might be asked to make that again. How do you keep it from getting clumpy after a while?

When I make this dip, I use 1 lb. Velveeta, cubed, 4 oz Monterrey Jack, cubed, 5 oz Evaporated Milk, and 10 oz Rotel Tomatoes and Green Chiles, drained. I add all ingredients to a crock pot and heat on low, stirring occasionally, or heat in the microwave on a low setting, stirring every few minutes. It is ready when melted and bubbly. Have not had the clumping problem with this recipe.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 1

Thank you @robirdstx!  When I made it, it was just the Velveeta and drained tomatoes, and I did one batch in the microwave and when it cooled it was not so wonderful; so I did more on the stovetop and it did the same thing (clumpy when cooled).  ;) Now that I know where the Velveeta is, I'll try it your way!

• Like 1

Will just be my husband and myself...I think charcuterie (we'll have just received the latest box from our Carnivore subscription) and some good olives for grazing, and a couple of small homemade pizzas when the hunger hits. We use Publix bakery pizza dough balls on an Emile Henry pizza stone, sauce made with Muir Glen fire crushed tomatoes and a wad of fresh basil simmers low until we need it. Toppings consist of whatever needs to go from the Fridge, and possibly whatever's left on the charcuterie board. A nice, sippy Tiki drink or two like a Mai Tai and mayhaps I will make some brownies when the inevitable midgame boredom hits me.

• Like 2

Demands of the schedule mean my game cuisine, never expected to be elaborate in any case, now inclines toward minimalistic. I get home from a weekend out of town not long before kickoff, and will leave for a business trip early the next morning. I am thinking cheese and charcuterie that's already in the fridge, pickles and olives, a bottle of wine, and perhaps an ice cream sundae from the ice cream place down the street about halftime.

I will likely be asleep before the game is over. Really don't have much of a dog in the fight, other than hoping New England will lose.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

Mine is going to be a little weird because I will be cooking twice. My inlaws are coming over early and I will be serving a late luncheon to them and anyone else who is at the house by then. They are older and have lots of dietary sensitivities so I am keeping it pretty basic:

Ina Garten's slow roasted filet of beef tenderloin with basil parmesean mayonnaise plus a simple risotto, green beans, and roasted winter squash.

Then for actual game time there will be more people and all the junky stuff comes out: guacamole two ways, queso dip, buffalo chicken dip (ugh but the guys all love it), muffulettas, mini meatball sliders and probably some token vegetable thing. I might do chicken wings too.  I will be mixing up margaritas and sangria for cocktails plus there will be this really tasty local beer (Trillium) and of course non alcoholic drinks too. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

buffalo chicken dip (ugh but the guys all love it)

Surprisingly not bad. I was skeptical of it but I didn't mind it when I actually tasted it. Of course, I am a guy so...

My problem with most of the hot dips that sound good is they all seem to call for cream cheese and/or mayo. They're always so rich and heavy that I just feel nasty afterwards and have no interest in making it again even if it tasted good. And just for a little comic relief, straight from the Department of Dumb, I burnt my mouth so bad on some Philly cheesesteak dip that I couldn't eat anything that wasn't soft and not too hot for over 2 weeks and it hurt really bad along the bone just beneath the surface where the burn was for over a month. I'd like to call that a stupid kid mistake but it actually just happened during this last college football season. ¬¬

• Like 3