• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Security guards for zucchini

Anna N

Click

Especially for @Shelby

Who'd think you'd need to post security guards on zucchini.  Vegetable shortage leads to strange happenings in the UK.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Click

Especially for @Shelby

Who'd think you'd need to post security guards on zucchini.  Vegetable shortage leads to strange happenings in the UK.

:o  Holy crap.  I could've gotten rich last summer....even with the postage cost lol.

They would have coveted my zucchini that I poked in every car that came here.

Seriously, I hope that gets better for the folks over there.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, kayb said:

I think it's due to @HungryChris making such a major dent in the world's supply...

I'm not sure I am at all comfortable wearing the villain costume, here. Zucchini overages were laughable when I was a kid and often discussed at the dinner table towards the end of summer. We joked about how the zucchini six pack was a conspiracy when buying plants in the spring and how the 2 or 3 pack would be more rational. It has kind of been  my ongoing search since then, to find uses for the over supply. I remember fashioning them into mackeral like fishing plug lures for striped bass back then, and being so absolutely proud and blown away to bring home a huge striper for dinner, that I managed to catch with one, one day

But, I have, indeed, gotten addicted to them in my diet, and never thought I would seek them out in winter as a breakfast staple, but I have. And I never, ever thought I would have to worry about making it past security to find them.

HC

Edited by HungryChris
sp (log)
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

I'm not sure I am at all comfortable wearing the villain costume, here.

Okay, I'll take part of the blame too. I love zucchini and can eat a pound of it well fried and blotted of oil all by myself. :)

And you're right. One or two plants can supply all but the largest family in season. After that, you have to start finding "victims" to give it away to.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

It was my late wife who finally taught me -- in my late forties -- to enjoy zucchini, as opposed to hiding it in sauces and suchlike. 

...and, in one of life's little ironies, my current gf is allergic to them, so now that I actually like them (in some preparations) I never eat them.

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning