• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Challenge: Cook your way through your freezer (part 1)

Anna N

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

I made and cooked meatballs with the ground beef I pulled out this morning.  I used a recipe I've never tried before for the meatballs and I am regretting that decision.   I was sucked in by the title of the recipe. At the moment they are back in the freezer being individually quick frozen.  Obviously that saved no room whatsoever and I am now wondering whether I should even keep the meatballs or sacrifice them.  Sometimes I am completely delusional. My freezer ends up filled with food that I am never going to eat but don't have the guts to bin.   I think I need a support group  but I am sure nobody else ever does this. xD

Drench them in sauce and cheese and you won't know the difference.

• Like 3

okay, I pulled out some chicken breasts from one of my overstocked freezers yesterday to make a casserole for dinner.  But somehow, when I went to the grocery store, a package of chicken thighs came home with me.

What??????

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, lindag said:

okay, I pulled out some chicken breasts from one of my overstocked freezers yesterday to make a casserole for dinner.  But somehow, when I went to the grocery store, a package of chicken thighs came home with me.

What??????

I feel your pain! My husband and I went to the grocery store yesterday, with a list, but silly me said let's look at the meat. We came home with all the list items plus chicken wings for Super Bowl, pork chops for broiling and baby back ribs. I was going to use something already in the freezer for dinner but ended up using half of the ribs and putting the other half in the freezer!O.o

• Like 7

6 hours ago, robirdstx said:

I feel your pain! My husband and I went to the grocery store yesterday, with a list, but silly me said let's look at the meat. We came home with all the list items plus chicken wings for Super Bowl, pork chops for broiling and baby back ribs. I was going to use something already in the freezer for dinner but ended up using half of the ribs and putting the other half in the freezer!O.o

This may be my downfall. If there is something in the meat counter on sale that I love to eat it is very hard to walk away from it.  

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@gfweb

Nah.  Something about using good food to rescue bad food niggles on my conscience even more than simply binning the offending item. They're gone. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

22 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

I made and cooked meatballs with the ground beef I pulled out this morning.  I used a recipe I've never tried before for the meatballs and I am regretting that decision.   I was sucked in by the title of the recipe. At the moment they are back in the freezer being individually quick frozen.  Obviously that saved no room whatsoever and I am now wondering whether I should even keep the meatballs or sacrifice them.  Sometimes I am completely delusional. My freezer ends up filled with food that I am never going to eat but don't have the guts to bin.   I think I need a support group  but I am sure nobody else ever does this. xD

52 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Nah.  Something about using good food to rescue bad food niggles on my conscience even more than simply binning the offending item. They're gone. 

Polite soul that you are, I suspect that you are deliberately not citing the recipe.  Are you willing to say what you didn't like about the results?  Were the seasonings unusual?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Polite soul that you are, I suspect that you are deliberately not citing the recipe.  Are you willing to say what you didn't like about the results?  Were the seasonings unusual?

Honestly, it's not politeness but imagining you and hundreds of other people all over the world laughing at me because I fell for it. Even as I read the ingredients I knew it was just wrong wrong wrong but I did it anyway.  So here you go::$

Click

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N -- I've made meatballs similar to this. I don't have Porthos' issue with using ketchup, but I would have hesitated at that much mustard -- that's a LOT of mustard. Wouldn't have used THAT much ketchup, and would have used milk or cream with the breadcrumbs.

What was your major quarrel with it? Flavor, or texture, or both?

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

44 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@Anna N  Since, except and only except, as a topping on meat loaf as it goes into the oven, I don't use ketchup so it calling me to use ketchup would have made me walk away. YMMV.

Yes. I absolutely should have known that anything with ketchup in it was not going to go well with me. I keep ketchup in the house for just two reasons

a). Other people

b). Nostalgia. I will still eat ketchup on toast  which takes me back to basic training in the Royal Canadian Air Force.:o

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, kayb said:

@Anna N -- I've made meatballs similar to this. I don't have Porthos' issue with using ketchup, but I would have hesitated at that much mustard -- that's a LOT of mustard. Wouldn't have used THAT much ketchup, and would have used milk or cream with the breadcrumbs.

What was your major quarrel with it? Flavor, or texture, or both?

The flavour was extremely offputting. All I could taste was ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and mustard.  Texture… There wasn't much of it and they fell apart as I tried to brown them. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

OK so they took me off that damn medication that made me think that meatballs were a good idea. Yesterday I rescued from my freezer an unlabelled hunk of protein which I was 100% sure must be Sous Vide chuck eye.  And so it proved to be:

image.jpeg

S-V'd chuck eye reheated and seared then served with a "gourmet" lettuce dressed with a  chunky faux Caesar dressing. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Hey!  Look at all the space I just cleared out...

Before & After:

IMG_4395 (1).jpgIMG_4396 (1).jpg

From my pantry, I chose to warm up some Fleur de Sel caramel sauce to go with the French Vanilla Ice Cream xD

Wow!  Look at you go!xD

• Like 5

I went to the freezer today and pulled out a couple of chicken legs that are vac packed.  I'm thinking of cooking them sous vide and need to think of something that starts with for chicken or B for breasts.  Neither Chickpeas nor Barley need apply.  This will be for tomorrow.  Tonight's is Pad Thai, everything is prepped and I'm about to cook it up.  Yum.

• Like 1

Cauliflower? Broccoli? Corn, beans, chard? Canneli Beans? Cardamom Bread? xD

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

I went to the freezer today and pulled out a couple of chicken legs that are vac packed.  I'm thinking of cooking them sous vide and need to think of something that starts with for chicken or B for breasts.  Neither Chickpeas nor Barley need apply.  This will be for tomorrow.  Tonight's is Pad Thai, everything is prepped and I'm about to cook it up.  Yum.

Oops!   Forgot my own rule about the second ingredient. Damn. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

53 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Hey!  Look at all the space I just cleared out...

Before & After:

IMG_4395 (1).jpgIMG_4396 (1).jpg

From my pantry, I chose to warm up some Fleur de Sel caramel sauce to go with the French Vanilla Ice Cream xD

Literally laughing out loud!!!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Or L for legs?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Or L for legs?

Or maybe even P for poultry, D for drumsticks, T for thighs, or F for fowl, as long as we're getting creative.

• Like 4

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2