• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I tried cooking potatoes in the IP exactly once and haven't done since as I thought they retained too much water, resulting in gloopy potatoes.  Maybe there is a secret to cooking them that way I don't know about?

I think it is a matter of determining the appropriate amount of liquid that will result in a final texture that you like. This may take a little experimenting and perhaps even a little ma I think it is a matter of determining the appropriate amount of liquid that will result in a final texture that you like. This may take a little experimenting and perhaps even a little math. Last night I determined that the amount of prepared potatoes that I had was 750 g. According to the recipe I was referencing I determined that the appropriate amount of milk was 240 mL but having run into the same trouble you did I dropped that down to 200 mL.  I found that to be much more satisfactory and still allowed me to add milk and or cream if I so desired to adjust the texture at the end.

So the recipe I used last night was

750 g of russet potatoes cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch chunks

45 g butter

200 ml 2% milk

salt to my taste

Melt the butter using the sauté function then add the potatoes and toss around to coat them in the butter.  Add the milk and salt. Cook for seven minutes on high pressure. Use quick release.   You will be horrified when you take the lid off. Get over it. Mash them well, add some pepper, nutmeg or whatever other things you like and serve. Easy peasy.  If you use different potatoes for instance, Yukon gold, or different milk, like homo, you will most likely have to experiment a bit but this is a good starting point. 

Oh my God I'm going to have to stop taking this Harvard course with all its math. 

Anna N

Anna N

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I tried cooking potatoes in the IP exactly once and haven't done since as I thought they retained too much water, resulting in gloopy potatoes.  Maybe there is a secret to cooking them that way I don't know about?

I think it is a matter of determining the appropriate amount of liquid that will result in a final texture that you like. This may take a little experimenting and perhaps even a little ma I think it is a matter of determining the appropriate amount of liquid that will result in a final texture that you like. This may take a little experimenting and perhaps even a little math. Last night I determined that the amount of prepared potatoes that I had was 750 g. According to the recipe I was referencing I determined that the appropriate amount of milk was 240 mL but having run into the same trouble you did I dropped that down to 200 mL.  I found that to be much more satisfactory and still allowed me to add milk and or cream if I so desired to adjust the texture at the end.

So the recipe I used last night was

750 g of russet potatoes cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch chunks

45 g butter

200 ml 2% milk

salt to my taste

Melt the butter using the sauté function then add the potatoes and toss around to coat them in the butter.  Add the milk and salt. Cook for seven minutes on high pressure. Use quick release.   You will be horrified when you take the lid off. Get over it. Mash them well, add some pepper, nutmeg or whatever other things you like and serve. Easy peasy.  If you use different potatoes for instants Yukon gold or different milk like homo  you will most likely have to experiment a bit but this is a good starting point. 

Oh my God I'm going to have to stop taking this Harvard course with all its math.