• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

I put everything in coolers or the other fridge and freezer, turn off the fridge entirely and put a large pot of boiling water in the icy freezer and shut the door. Replace with another pot of boiling water when the first cools if necessary, and I haven't found a faster way. It's a chore I really don't like, so any tips to speed it up and get it over with would be a blessing.

I did use something from the freezer for dinner tonight. Frozen shrimp. I gave it the tempura treatment with the recipe I linked to upthread. Some beautiful green beans, carrot strips, nice and fresh quartered cremini mushrooms, zucchini sticks, white onion rings and broccoli florets joined the tempura party.

The batter wasn't quite as lacy as last time, but only because some idiot (who me? 9_9) decided to alter the recipe by replacing some of the corn starch with potato starch. It was still very good, but someday I will learn to leave well enough alone. Someday.

ETA - I wracked my brain to come up with another S ingredient, and the best I could come up with was change shrimp to Prawns (they weren't) and use the crushed red Pepper I used in the dipping sauce to qualify. Then I realized, I could use the S in dipping sauce. :)

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

I put everything in coolers or the other fridge and freezer, turn off the fridge entirely and put a large pot of boiling water in the icy freezer and shut the door. Replace with another pot of boiling water when the first cools if necessary, and I haven't found a faster way. It's a chore I really don't like, so any tips to speed it up and get it over with would be a blessing.

I did use something from the freezer for dinner tonight. Frozen shrimp. I gave it the tempura treatment with the recipe I linked to upthread. Some beautiful green beans, carrot strips, nice and fresh quartered cremini mushrooms, zucchini sticks, white onion rings and broccoli florets joined the tempura party.

The batter wasn't quite as lacy as last time, but only because some idiot (who me? 9_9) decided to alter the recipe by replacing some of the corn starch with potato starch. It was still very good, but someday I will learn to leave well enough alone. Someday.