• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Challenge: Cook your way through your freezer (part 1)

Anna N

My apologies to myself:  dinner will be delayed. 

Apparently labelling food that you put into the freezer isn't enough. You must also read those labels when you take it out of the freezer. The chicken I took out tonight and hoped to thaw in the Sous Vide and enjoy for dinner in about 30 minutes thawed quite nicely thank you. However it is raw as the day it met its maker!   The label apparently was an instruction to myself to cook it Sous Vide at 60°C for 90 minutes. I read it as meaning I had done this.   Damn. I had a big breakfast this morning and skipped lunch and I am mighty hungry now.  A liquid appetizer is in the offing.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 2/7/2017 at 9:03 AM, lindag said:

OMG, I am totally out of control now, I just realized.

Yesterday while watching something on TV I saw an ad by a local appliance store for a small-ish chest type freezer for $208.

And, for about 30 seconds I actually considered it.

This, mind you, would be a third freezer in my house.  The other two are full sized uprights.  In addition, I have a large side by side. 

And...I live alone and cook most days for just myself.

I think I have a problem.

Thank you for this. You make me feel much better about myself. I think we might be related.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 2/6/2017 at 4:43 PM, Anna N said:

Ground beef and some peas from the freezer over cauliflower rice.  Be damned if I can figure anything to alliterate.  

Well, it was Ground beef and Green peas, right?   :P

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Well, it was Ground beef and Green peas, right?   :P

Your hired!

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Apparently labelling food that you put into the freezer isn't enough. You must also read those labels when you take it out of the freezer. The chicken I took out tonight and hoped to thaw in the Sous Vide and enjoy for dinner in about 30 minutes thawed quite nicely thank you. However it is raw as the day it met its maker!   The label apparently was an instruction to myself to cook it Sous Vide at 60°C for 90 minutes. I read it as meaning I had done this.   Damn. I had a big breakfast this morning and skipped lunch and I am mighty hungry now.  A liquid appetizer is in the offing.

A liquid appetizer!  Brilliant!

5 minutes ago, chefmd said:

A liquid appetizer!  Brilliant!

Well........ Not entirely sure it was. On an empty stomach and one who has a very low tolerance for alcohol, that was not the smartest thing to do.  But regret is a wasted emotion so I might have another for dessert.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Grab a chunk of Lamb out from the freezer 2 nights ago meant for last night's supper. But, with a late afternoon meeting with financial planner until 5 (no...I wasn't checking to see if I can afford to buy a new upright freezer!), and booked to babysit grandkids at 6, we had A & W burgers at 9 pm instead of sleeping with a full tummy of lamb.
After much thought and checking ONLY the produce aisle in the store, I found the second L ingredient - Lobak or daikon.

The lamb loin was purchased in the summer, along with 2 others in anticipation of a visit from daughter and s-i-l, which didn't happen. Seems I've used this phrase before...

The loin was grilled on the cast iron pan until pretty marks appeared. It was then finished off in the oven. The only seasoning was Berbere spice a colleague brought back from a trip somewhere. The loin was a pain to carve, so I just cut down to the back bone? and broke it into 4 segments. Licked my hand after for the lovely bits of brown and grease.:$
The lobak was steamed in the microwave then onto a fry pan for a bit of crust. Stir-fried Shanghai Bok Choy was the other veggie.

Lamb Loin purchased June 2016

Freezer Lamb Loin 0003.jpg                      

Lamb Loin0002.jpg

Lamb Loin0003.jpg                             

Lamb & Lobak0001.jpg

• Like 9

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

Why I stopped labeling my bags.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

Well dinner turned out to be even later. Company showed up and stayed for almost 2 hours. Eventually I was able to make a chopped salad from my chicken. Revenge for last evening's wedge salad. I made a ginger-carrot dressing.

image.jpeg

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

I clearly have no shame.

let me take you through the Proof :

Freezer T.jpg

this is FreezerTemp  .  Its seasonal and an entrance to the basement

this is FB :

F B.jpg

A steal @ 100  USD , free delivery.  its job was to help defrost FA , which you see here :

F A.jpg

I had it in June/July  but Sloth took command.  then there were those Thanikgiving turkeys that needed a home and I succumbed to

4.  21 lbs +++

here is Fnow :

F B open.jpg

its helping out. and I claim that it would have held all the contents of FA , if those 4 Dreadnaught's had not cruised in there in early Nov.  it is

holding one self from FA. on top of them.

FTemp  just now :

F temp bagged.jpg

and Fstarting its slow thaw.   25 F for 2 - 3 days  helps.

F A empty.jpg

all the food in FA has been SV'd  and none of the bags show damage.  there are some tasty relics in there !

so FA is more or less a SV reliquary.

as I mentioned I have no shame

Q.E.D.

suprise.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 11

no

I use Coleman Coolers  36 qt models  

I tended to do 16 - 18 ' packets / SV

skinless boneless CkBr  , plain and stuffed

Turkey Br from 2  22lbs  birds at a time

Steak/roasts when on sale in the same amounts 

and corned beef near St.P's day as its so cheap

I counted out the vac-packed ground turkey I have in 22.5 oz servings  

they are resting comfortably in FB   for Turkeymeatloaf     and now Turkey Ragu

I only buy SV precursors on sale.  Ive decided to eat via transformations the 8 packs i have in there' before getting some more

I passed up two sales recently since the FCO started

$ 1.99 a pack

it was difficult.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

image.jpeg

The second half of the chicken breast that I removed from the freezer yesterday. A chicken salad with apple, pecans, raisins, carrot and HELLMAN'S mayo. Chicken and carrot is pretty lame but it's the best I can do. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, I got blizzard-ed out of work today so I hit the freezer for some cooking projects.  First, I took out the Capon carcass, and made stock with it, onions, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaves, Carrots, Celery, parsley, thyme, dill, etc.  No photo, because it is stock.  It's meant for a soup on Saturday.  I will take a picture then.

Then, I took out a pack of Chicken thighs, and made a tagine.  It had tomatoes, Chickpeas, Cinnamon, ginger, Cayenne, Coriander, Cilantro, vanilla bean (!), garlic, onion, dates, butter and salt and pepper.  I also added a big spoonful of harissa because I had some in the fridge.  It's a Mark Bittman recipe from New York Times Cooking. This one:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/7794-chicken-and-chickpea-tagine

I changed it up in that I used half the suggested chickpeas and chicken but all of the onions, garlic, spices and also all of the juice from the tomatoes.  He says the tagine should be dry, but dry is not to my liking.  I served it with Couscous.  Here is the tagine:

tagine in tagine.jpg

Finished plate in the Dinner! Thread.

I also took out a bag of Bread flour, and made a Moroccan bread to go with.  I brushed it with Butter and added sesame seeds before baking.  

moroccan bread.jpg

• Like 13

Curry Chicken and Cauliflower: I am not a fan of the individually frozen seasoned chicken breasts that come in a box. Can't remember the weight of the contents as I had to throw away the box to make room in the freezer. It was $15.00 I think, and I thought it might be handy for something. I've had them since Sept.. Today was a busy teaching day and I've got mucho essays to grade, so something quick was needed for supper.

Cut up Chicken breasts and browned in ghee. Cooked in some Indian curry powder, Patak Curry paste, and dded chunks of onion and eggplant.
Simmered with chicken stock and thicken slightly with guar gum. Eaten with mashed Cauliflower and stir-fried mixed vegetables (still trying to eat down the stuff in the fridge. Bought 4-to-a-bag green peppers, another of red peppers, and several zukes 'cos they were on sale!)
                                                     Freezer Curry Chicken 0003.jpg

• Like 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I used a ground beef chuck patty from the freezer for dinner and served it with a baked potato with butter and sour cream. I also made some broccoli from fresh and melted cheddar cheese over it. Please remember all these alliterations, because I think I won't have any at all tomorrow. :)

I've got a center cut pork chop thawing for tomorrow.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

10 hours ago, rotuts said:

Im taking the FCO seriously.

I won't have to SV in bulk for quite some time.

all I have to get at the store these days are  Things that are green , fruity , or bread-like

I am, by George, highly impressed. Go, @rotuts

37 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I used a ground beef chuck patty from the freezer for dinner and served it with a baked potato with butter and sour cream. I also made some broccoli from fresh and melted cheddar cheese over it. Please remember all these alliterations, because I think I won't have any at all tomorrow. :)

I've got a center cut pork chop thawing for tomorrow.

Look atcha! At least double alliteration points there! (We are going to have to eventually have a serious scorekeeper as more people get involved in this thing.)

I have managed to convert Freezer Clean Out (FCO) to Refrigerator Clean Out (RCO), as I have in the past week moved from chilled space 1 to chilled space 2 the aforementioned package of tenderized round steaks, which either get cooked tomorrow or they get chunked, and a package of beef stew meat, taken out a day or two ago to thaw in the fridge for IP vegetable beef soup. However, I have had about a solid week of Mondays, not including the time I have been away from home, so cooking has been delayed. This weekend!

Though we are hampered by a kitchen disaster of sorts tonight. My top refrigerator shelf (it's a Kenmore side-by-side, if that makes a difference) apparently shattered under the weight of all I had stacked on it. I am not certain whether I am more ashamed :$ of the fact that happened, or the fact that I chunked enough stuff that was old enough to vote that I was able to put everything back into the fridge, sans one shelf, but for a half-gallon of reduced chicken broth I really need to freeze anyway.

I am promising my "day job" a half-day of my time tomorrow. From noon on, I'm in the kitchen, before it gets completely out of control!

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

23 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Thank you Porthos! The Tex-Mex Enchilada Casserole I pulled from the freezer for dinner tonight will be served with Avocado and Sour Cream, plus a side salad.

IMG_0233.JPG

One less casserole dish in the freezer! This morning I pulled out one of three Beef Rib-eye Steaks to defrost. It will be grilled and served with a Baked Potato and a Salad for dinner tonight.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, rotuts said:

FZ.jpg

this counts for something  

this was the smoothest defrost ever.

Well met, good sir. Three cheers for a job well done - hip hip huzzah, hip hip huzzah, hip hip huzzah. How does it look repacked?

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

tomorrow's problem, after more snow

there is a foot of snow on the storm-door , and its 22 outside.   bright sun so that snow will keep the Bags Cilly

as everything is very edible and 95 % already SV'd

Ill just use a loose shelving system :  Chicken , Turkey , Beef, admixture  1 / shelf per each

Ive got a lot of great things to eat through !

Hoping to have an entire self ready for St.P's day's  corned beef sales.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3