• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Challenge: Cook your way through your freezer (part 1)

Anna N

1 minute ago, ninagluck said:

OK I am missing something here I just know I am.  Perhaps someone more perceptive will pop in here and sort out our apparent inability to communicate with one another.  :).  Many years ago there were five people in my home.   My husband and me and three kids.   Now I am alone and I understand you are too.   Beyond that I am lost.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris  

that CR from Aldi :   ""  1 - 19 - 17 ""

has had barely enough time to settle in 

now  ""  1 - 19 - 16 "" would make more sense to me.

Well, they were on sale at that price for three weeks, but on that particular visit I found some promising roasts and loaded up the truck!

HC

• Like 2

Just now, ninagluck said:

@Anna N, you were used to 5 in a household and still keep your stock at that level. I always lived on my own, I never had to feed 5, so no reason for big stocks, but I do.............

OK. My brain fog is clearing. Now I understand what you're saying. Sorry I was being so dense.  I think you have a great deal to teach me about how you deal with food, with plating, with stocking and maintaining your freezers.  

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Haha!  Great.  Hmmm....6 quarts of chicken stock, a small container of demi, 2 containers of fish fumet, some remaining leg portions of northwoods venison, 3# of duck carcass, some rendered duck fat, 1/2 roll of cod cake and.....a ton of Trader Joe's variabilia.  Should be fun!

• Like 2

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

I broiled a Pork chop from the freezer along with some leftover canned Pineapple. This was the first time I attempted to broil canned pineapple, though I have both broiled and grilled the fresh variety several times. I don't know what makes it different than the fresh, but this is also the last time I try broiling canned pineapple. I wished I had just left if the way it was before I cooked it.

I also had a huge salad of red leaf lettuce and lemon tahini dressing.

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

Here is my first freezer challenge dinner.  I pulled out a package of Mango Habanero Chicken Sausage earlier this week and cooked it up last night.  I was not sure which letter to go with, so decided to just cover as many as possible.  I served the sausage on a bed of baby Spinach topped with a salad of brown rice, avocado, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, a jalepeno, a seeded Habanero, red onion, black beans, Mango, Corn, and Cilantro tossed with a Chili-lime vinaigrette that had Cumin and Cayenne in it.

sausage salad.jpg

• Like 13

Brilliant. Well except for the cilantro and those black beans. xD.  Happy to have so many members giving this challenge a shot!

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh yikes.  Don't know which is worse – – the scrapple or the ice.:DxD

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

There is no scrapple in my freezer.  

So I am really trying to rack up FCO points having missed a couple of days. Reached in there today and with my eyes semi-averted (I am breaking in new prescription glasses so I can't afford to waste any opportunity to use them xD),  and pulled out some chicken livers and some homemade chicken soup. Still trying to decide how I shall treat the chicken livers. The soup I suspect will be lunch today or tomorrow.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Re-heated the frozen soup  and added a little frozen spinach and some nutritional yeast for a little boost of flavour.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

I grabbed, albeit not randomly (I knew they were there, and having found one, searched for the other) a couple of pork loin chops. I suspect some sort of potato will join them tonight.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Argh! I failed this challenge before even starting!  This week I ADDED chicken thighs and a couple packs of frozen lox.....  On the other hand, freezer space is maxed out, Super Bowl is coming up and I'll expect to use up some stuff.

I did randomly on purpose pull out frozen Corn to go with roast Chicken with Cilantro & Thai Chilies....

• Like 3

Ive noticed Im the only one that has shown you the freezer I hope to clean out.

tongue-out.gif

as above.

Im claiming 10 FCO points as I have No Shame, being the first and possibly only one to Show You Mine.

smiley-ptdr.gif

there will be a few very cold days here , esp. at night.

I plan to remove what's left in  Freezer A  and place the tons of stuff in the storm entrance to my basement.

then defrost  FA  

I do hope to prove this w a pic of FA  clean and dry.

I expect 100 FCO points , (  and perhaps a Nice Certificate I can place on FA , )  as indeed , if this happens  :  FA will be Cleaned Out Completely   (  CCO )

that's why bought FB  but I was too lazy to get this done in July.

then there was the Big Boy Turkey Sale !

smiley-ptdr.gif

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Beebs said:

Argh! I failed this challenge before even starting!  This week I ADDED chicken thighs and a couple packs of frozen lox.....  On the other hand, freezer space is maxed out, Super Bowl is coming up and I'll expect to use up some stuff.

I did randomly on purpose pull out frozen Corn to go with roast Chicken with Cilantro & Thai Chilies....

Repeat after me:  "My name is Beebs and I need help".

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

tongue-out.gif

as above.

Im claiming 10 FCO points as I have No Shame, being the first and possibly only one to Show You Mine.

smiley-ptdr.gif

there will be a few very cold days here , esp. at night.

I plan to remove what's left in  Freezer A  and place the tons of stuff in the storm entrance to my basement.

then defrost  FA  

I do hope to prove this w a pic of FA  clean and dry.

I expect 100 FCO points , (  and perhaps a Nice Certificate I can place on FA , )  as indeed , if this happens  :  FA will be Cleaned Out Completely   (  CCO )

that's why bought FB  but I was too lazy to get this done in July.

then there was the Big Boy Turkey Sale !

smiley-ptdr.gif

@rotuts Since you showed us yours, I'll show you mine.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Did an honest no-peek grab and came out with a big package of Italian sausage sans casings. Gonna have to reach a bit with this one and say I'm pairing sausage with sauce because that's pretty much the only way it works out for the same letter thing. Lasagna is the intended dish but it won't be until tomorrow or possibly even Sunday.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

This is the freezer that is way too empty to qualify me to play along. I am really enjoying watching what is being done by those who can play.

FreezerChallnege.jpg

• Like 6

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;