• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

liuzhou

Wanting to relive a little bit of our Spanish vacation, I purchased these at one of the fish mongers up on Arthur Ave. These 4 weighed a pound...

31990810152_3de5477d4d.jpg

They were good, but certainly not as good as the ones we ate there.

This was dinner the night before:

32100782426_69059f1f1a.jpg

Strozzapreti fagioli. Served with a side of sautéed Tuscan kale. 

• Like 14

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My normal dry wonton noodle setup made 1000% better by the acquisition (finally!!) of dried prawn roe to sprinkle on the cooked noodles.

I've been searching for prawn roe in Sydney for YEARS (it's a very Hong Kong thing and soooo umami/savoury/flavour bomb) and had pretty much given up until I ate at a new new trendoid hipster doofus Chinese place last week and was shocked and thrilled to note that one dish had prawn roe sprinkled on top!

So I did what you do in this day and age; friended the chef on Instagram and bugged him till he spilled. 

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1312.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

• Like 23

34 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

it's a very Hong Kong thing and soooo umami/savoury/flavour bomb

It is a wonderful ingredient. Well, done for your chef harassment. I've been harassing a local chef for weeks to get him to spill where he gets fresh Sichuan peppercorns here in town, but he remains schtum. I may be have to resort to torture.

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

20 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

It is a wonderful ingredient. Well, done for your chef harassment. I've been harassing a local chef for weeks to get him to spill where he gets fresh Sichuan peppercorns here in town, but he remains schtum. I may be have to resort to torture.

Police in nearby Prince Edward Island deterred drinking and driving this past holiday season with the announcement that anyone incarcerated for a DUI would be treated to a nonstop Nickleback playlist in the lockup. That should work, if you're up for the necessary abduction beforehand (it would logically be part of any torture scenario, anyway...). 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

And it at least appears you can order online without a membership. I don't know that the full range of goods are available via the website, though.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 minute ago, kayb said:

And it at least appears you can order online without a membership. I don't know that the full range of goods are available via the website, though.

The selection at the store is different than the warehouse. Not much food online.

Tonight.

dinner.jpg

Chicken breast marinated with garlic, ginger, chillies, Shaoxing wine and light soy sauce. Celtuce with dried shrimp and garlic. Rice.

Unusually, I plated it western style, but it was only me and no one was watching. I have to say, I did enjoy it.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

33 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Scotch fillet steaks, potato slabs, mushrooms, asparaguys and salad.

Thanks to you and google I learned something:  a Scotch fillet steak is what we would call a ribeye.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Cauliflower, cabbage, carrot, stir fried until well charred yet firm and crisp. Ginger, chili, garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar, smokey sesame oil. Scallions, toasted sunflower seeds.

Served with rice flavored with coriander seeds and a poached egg.

I like a lot the grilled flavor of high-heat stir frying, and the sesame oil smokiness backs it well.

20170107_144956.jpg20170107_145021.jpg

• Like 19

~ Shai N.

well  Kudos on the Churros

I was fortunate to live in (E)Spain for two years while growing up

in Madrid

as the weather got so much cooler , and in the Christmas Season

there were Churros sellers on the streets   some fairly large

did I love them ?

you bettcha !

not so much the Roasted Chesnuts on the stall over

go figure

• Like 4

image.jpeg

Chicken sandwich on home made bread and curried parsnip and apple soup (discussed in the Instant Pot topic). 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

An "old school" night tonight, because I was in the mood: Meat loaf, mashed potatoes, steamed peas with butter. I like to do my meat loaf in a pie plate, thin, so there's a bigger ratio of crust to inside. And I was thinking about how good that would taste with some melted Brie in meat loaf sandwiches later on this week.

old school.jpg

Last night, it was carbonnades a la flamande. Usually a fail-safe for me, this one lacked something, and I'm not sure what. Could be because the liquor store has stopped carrying my go-to Green Flash Double Stout, and I went with a Belgian stout instead. I serve mine with grits instead of noodles, because I like it that way.

carbonnades.jpg

Saturday night, it was choucroute garnie. Good, but I forgot to take pictures.

• Like 18

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

12 hours ago, kayb said:

. I serve mine with grits instead of noodles, because I like it that way.

...and that's all the reason anyone needs. :)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Ronnie cold smoked some ribs yesterday so I could re-stock the freezer.  Finished in the IP and then under the broiler in the CSO.  He also threw in some country ham...OH it's good.  It's good anyway, but now I have some with a smokey flavor :)

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.jpg

• Like 14

p2.jpg

Tonight.

Prawn (not shrimp!) fried rice.

Wild prawns which I bought this morning (there is something satisfyingly odd about walking home from the market with your shopping still wriggling in the bag), black garlic, tiny dried shrimp, chilli, scallion and egg.

p1.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
premature ejaculation of post. try writing it first next time! (log)
  • Like 14