• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

liuzhou

I had another good dinner tonight. I roasted up a Cornish game hen and made a sauce for it from sugar, cornstarch, MSG, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, Chinese five spice and plenty of red pepper flakes. This was served with Garden Stuffed Peppers from my ancient Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. Bell peppers are stuffed with a mixture of cooked baby lima beans, onions sauteed in butter, corn and a diced fresh tomato. Over the years I've added oregano in the veg stuffing mixture and added cheese on top in the last five minutes of baking to up and complete the protein from the beans. This time it was hoop cheese from right here in Ashe County North Carolina.

ETA a link about hoop cheese for those who may not have heard of it. 

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

13 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

That is one of the most uninformative Wikipedia pages ever. Here is a better link, which actually tells you something about the cheese.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

That is one of the most uninformative Wikipedia pages ever. Here is a better link, which actually tells you something about the cheese.

I agree that both links are pretty uninformative. :) I have never encountered a hoop cheese that has not been colored orange, like cheddar (unless, of course, said cheddar is white). Annatto or achiote, in Spanish used not to be required to be disclosed in the list of cheese ingredients by our US government for some crazy reason? I find it on more and more ingredient list on cheeses these days, probably in recognition of rare allergies to it.

Cow's milk does not turn orange on its own, in my experience, and this is a rare American cheese. It is unmucked around with like "American cheese" that bears that name. Hoop cheese is many miles closer to mild cheddar than is your regular American cheese, even the good stuff that can be called that, as opposed to American pasteurized cheese product.

I quite like hoop cheese, but I must say I prefer a medium cheddar for most applications.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

7 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I had another good dinner tonight. I roasted up a Cornish game hen and made a sauce for it from sugar, cornstarch, MSG, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, Chinese five spice and plenty of red pepper flakes. This was served with Garden Stuffed Peppers from my ancient Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. Bell peppers are stuffed with a mixture of cooked baby lima beans, onions sauteed in butter, corn and a diced fresh tomato. Over the years I've added oregano in the veg stuffing mixture and added cheese on top in the last five minutes of baking to up and complete the protein from the beans. This time it was hoop cheese from right here in Ashe County North Carolina.

"Like" for the Cornish game hen part.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

No pictures because the pork took forever to cook, but I took a pork tenderloin, seasoned it with hoisin and soy sauce and ginger, then peeled and cored a couple of pineapples and surrounded the pork, on a rack in a roasting pan, with the fruit, which also got a nice shot of soy sauce. Roasted at 400 degrees for-freakin'-ever to get to temperature, I guess because the pineapple was insulating the pork. Wonderfully tender and good.

Served it with coconut rice and a cucumber salad in a dressing of rice vinegar, mirin, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger and honey.

There was a bit of pork and pineapple left, which is destined to show up in fried rice next week.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A couple of recents.  Chicken teriyaki with the Serious Eats recipe for fried rice with green beans 

chicken teriyaki.jpg

And a chicken and biscuit stew.  

chicken stew with biscuits.jpg

We are supposed to get 15 inches of snow here today and my husband has influenza as he neglected to get his flu shot this year (not me!)  so I am thinking tonight's dinner will be more chicken, but in soup form with lots of ginger and garlic.

• Like 17

On 1/5/2017 at 4:39 PM, Shelby said:

I'll trade you catfish for some of your mix ;) 

I'll be on the look-out for this.  

Thanks!

Big snow today. We were out early to get a few items. One of the things on the list was more fish fry mix. Maybe this will help you spot it.

HC

IMG_0690.JPG

• Like 5