• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

liuzhou

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

I was looking forward to a nice dinner of Soup and Sandwich .  I had Mortadella !  what could go wrong ?

I hadn't had this sort of bread in a long while.  it made for an interesting sort of sandwich I recall :

nice looking  , with some potential ?  nope.

either this loaf was stale , or its no longer made as I remember  :  a bit on a soft side  , but moist , a little sweet :

it was dry as a bone.  had to say what to do with the rest of the loaf !

Make bread crumbs. I was buying low-carb bread and got tired of it by the time I got to the last loaf. I used my food processor, made soft crumbs, spread it out on a pan. Once dry, I put the crumbs thru' the processor again and they are perfect for breading.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 1/7/2017 at 11:16 AM, ElsieD said:

@liamsaunt  I'd love to be able to make biscuits like that.  What's your secret?

I am pretty sure I have mentioned it here before, but I am very much a novice baker and my biscuits are especially terrible.  They come out like flat hockey pucks every time.  These were the Whole Foods organic version of the Pillsbury biscuits in a can.  My baking skills are pretty much limited to soft pretzels, bagels, cornbread, flatbreads like naan and pita, and muffins.  I keep trying to bake bread but it's definitely a hit or miss thing with me.  I'm lucky to have access to a couple of really good local bakeries so I don't suffer much.  

17 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

How can you not love roasted potatoes

image.jpeg

Gorgeous potatoes!

Dinner last night was rigatoni with red peppers, tomatoes, and roasted garlic chicken sausage

sausage pasta.jpg

And a rather pathetic home-baked loaf of bread.  It's the New York Times No-Knead bread, but the quick version.  I have another loaf going now--the long rise version--that I am baking with dinner tonight.  These types of breads are about the upper limit of my baking "skills."

quick no knead bread.jpg

• Like 16

I'm going to have to recreate these potatoes tonight with a Greek slant to go with grilled Costco lamb loin chops for my son's pre birthday dinner tonight.   Wasn't my choice, my wife's, since I'm not a fan of grilling in 40 degree weather.   I'm a Floridian ;).  I wanted chili 

• Like 4

don't know when/if Johnnybird is getting home .....

got two bone in , skin on chicken breasts in the oven with some lovingly rubbed seasoning and now shutting down to watch The Last Waltz.......

see y'all later

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

"I am pretty sure I have mentioned it here before, but I am very much a novice baker and my biscuits are especially terrible.  They come out like flat hockey pucks every time.  These were the Whole Foods organic version of the Pillsbury biscuits in a can."

Well, they sure looked good.  Not everything that comes out of a can is bad.

Edited by ElsieD
added quotation marks (log)
  • Like 5

Top sirloin, cooked SV at 129F for an hour, then torch-seared.  (I usually make one steak and my wife cuts off an end for herself.  This time she decided to take a pie shaped wedge.)  Served with artichoke bottoms sauteed in butter.  I had higher hopes for them.  While they were OK, they still had some bite from the citric acid they were packed with, even though I soaked them in several changes of water.

sirloin-art.jpg

• Like 8

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@mgaretz  

you have some of eG's best Meats Pic on e G !

have you been able to try  " sirloin tips ' but cut as a flap , whole ?

one of my favorite cuts .

unfortunately I do not have a Costo membership , nor do I want one.

i wouldn't mind a ' card ' to borrow , 2 to 3 x / year for the Prime Beef

then again , Id have to by another freezer  for the SV packets

I have two freezers as it is.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@mgaretz  

you have some of tube best Meats Pic on e G !

Didn't come from Costco.  These were CAB on sale at the local market for $3.77/lb.  I have done sirloin tip as a roast.  It's OK, but tri-tip is far superior and less expensive.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

57 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Top sirloin, cooked SV at 129F for an hour, then torch-seared.  (I usually make one steak and my wife cuts off an end for herself.  This time she decided to take a pie shaped wedge.) 

And yet you love her...

• Like 7

Stew of red lentils, onions caramelized in butter, carrots, sweet potato, kohlrabi, celery, cooked until soft and thick. Added some creamy chickpeas (pressure cooked). Zucchini, stir fried separately until charred yet very crisp and added to the stew later on. Spiced with cinnamon, pepper, chili, bay leaves, some paprika and parsley. Served over whole wheat couscous (not for health reasons - I like the taste).

20170106_155249.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

@rustwood what was your Genl Tso sauce recipe?

The whole thing was from Food52.  The sauce was tasty - not sickly sweet and it had a balanced kick to it.  It did seem a little off though.  Next time we might try using a different brand of hoisin sauce.  Also, our ginger was very fresh/strong so the sauce was perhaps more 'gingery' than it should have been.

• Like 4

What I wanted:  a chicken club on toasted white. 

image.jpeg

What I got. 

• Like 18

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We were going to have beef stew tonight, but took a ride to the local brewery for some growler refills and passed by our favorite fish market on the way home. The sea scallops were hard to resist and beef stew got pushed back until tomorrow. Fried local Stonington sea scallops and fries.IMG_0753.JPGIMG_0756.JPG

And, @Shelby, in case you are wondering, Mccormicks Cracker meal (about 1/4 cup per lb, shake and bake style) does the sea scallops well in 375 degree peanut oil. It only takes a little more than a minute, in small batches,  just keep checking for the golden brown color.

HC

IMG_0751.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 14

Cooking the the basement while my kitchen is torn apart.

Cook beef and thyme/butter mushrooms on the induction thing, keep warm on the steam boiler in back.

CSO for the au gratin pots.

Maybe I don't need a new kitchen.

006.jpg

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Cooking the the basement while my kitchen is torn apart.

Cook beef and thyme/butter mushrooms on the induction thing, keep warm on the steam boiler in back.

CSO for the au gratin pots.

Maybe I don't need a new kitchen.

006.jpg

I've been wondering what your set-up was going to be.  Thanks for sharing :)  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

I'd say borrow one ASAP. Their Choice beef is way better than supermarket Prime. I don't understand how this can be so, but in my area it really is true.

And they have flap steak. And big hunks of salmon to pop in the fz. And bricks of ground beef to store away  for when you need to make meatballs. And big bags of meatballs to freeze away too.

I get a couple big ass beef tenderloins a year...NY strip packs several x a year...flap steak...salmon that I portion into meal-sized aliquots and then I make gravlax out of the end cuts.

Their veg aren't that great. Too big a bag to use before they go bad.

But you can get canned diced tomatoes and tomato paste essentially for free.

And a case of Ramen noodles for $8. EIGHT DOLLARS.

Great for nuts too.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

@mgaretz  

you have some of eG's best Meats Pic on e G !

@rotuts you dont have to have a card to go shop there when you want. Buy a Costco gift card and load your budget for your shopping trip and get ye to Costco! When you have a gift card, you can shop with it, do not need a membership card! You can go pretty much anytime you want then.

• Like 7

Mint peas...mint peas...Must get me some...
I DID tonight:

Single rib roast, mint peas, whole grain mustard Brussel sprouts, and roasted baby taters. :x
                      Prime Rib & Minted Peas0001.jpg

• Like 10

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 hours ago, Mysstwalker said:

@rotuts you dont have to have a card to go shop there when you want. Buy a Costco gift card and load your budget for your shopping trip and get ye to Costco! When you have a gift card, you can shop with it, do not need a membership card! You can go pretty much anytime you want then.

I thought someone with a membership has to buy the gift Card?