• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

liuzhou

I discovered a PPS show last weekend called Movable Feast and tried some recipes from their website.  First I baked some sourdough bread for soaking up some of the beer sauce with Beer Steamed Mussels, Pecan Apricot rice,  and Japanese Beef Tataki.  

DSCN3924.jpg

DSCN3925.jpg

DSCN3933.jpgDSCN3930.jpg

DSCN3934.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 17

image.jpeg

I was gifted some beef tenderloin so tonight I quickly browned it and served it with duck fat roasted potatoes. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've started in on studying Giuliano Bugialli's Foods of Tuscany.  I'm still a little ill and it was a work night, so nothing fancy.  Dinner was a bit of Giuseppe Cocco pasta in the last of a tomato sauce -- followed (it would have been proceeded had I planned accordingly) by a plate of my tomatoes from this summer.  (Yes, I shall soon have my kitchen counter back!)  Provolone and salami.  Can't pretend it was very Italian, dressed as it was with Oro Bailen olive oil and Martin Pouret vinegar of Orleans.  Let's just say European.

Then I read Tuscans don't mix cheese and cured meats.  Oh well.

And not to forget the last of an excellent baguette.  Currently a generous glass of Chartreuse VEP for my health.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I am climbing back on board the cooking bus after being poorly for a few days.

This I haven't made for years, but a friend mentioned it recently and it stayed near the front of what remains of my mind.

gongbao.jpg

In Mandarin, 宫保鸡丁 - gōng bǎo jī dīng. You probably know it as Kung-po Chicken, Few people in Sichuan would know what that meant - or where Szechwan is! 9_9

Accompanied by

chayote.jpg

Very simply stir fried chayote shoots only with a little salt. I wanted them simple as the chicken has some strong flavours in there. In the local parlance they are known as 龙须菜 - lóng xū cài, which means 'dragon's whisker vegetable', More widely they are called 佛手瓜苗 - fó shǒu guā miáo, which means "Buddha's hand gourd shoots".

and rice.

P.S. The chillies with the chicken are "pointing to heaven chillies' or 'facing heaven chillies' which I grow on my balcony. And the peanuts  I roasted in my new microwave. First time to do that.

• Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

In Mandarin, 宫保鸡丁 - gōng bǎo jī dīng. You probably know it as Kung-po Chicken, Few people in Sichuan would know what that meant - or where Szechwan is! 9_9

This is one of my favorite dishes ever! I order it bone in and often see an approving smile on my server's face.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chefmd said:

This is one of my favorite dishes ever! I order it bone in and often see an approving smile on my server's face.

Yes, I usually make it 'bone-in' but tonight I used a boned breast as that what was what I had. Most chicken dishes are 'bone-in' in China.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

Yes, I usually make it 'bone-in' but tonight I used a boned breast as that what was what I had. Most chicken dishes are 'bone-in' in China.

In good old USA boneless is served by default.  

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I am climbing back on board the cooking bus after being poorly for a few days.

This I haven't made for years, but a friend mentioned it recently and it stayed near the front of what remains of my mind.

gongbao.jpg

Accompanied by

chayote.jpg

Very simply stir fried chayote shoots only with a little salt. I wanted them simple as the chicken has some strong flavours in there. In the local parlance they are known as 龙须菜 - lóng xū cài, which means 'dragon's whisker vegetable', More widely they are called 佛手瓜苗 - fó shǒu guā miáo, which means "Buddha's hand gourd shoots".

and rice.

P.S. The chillies with the chicken are "pointing to heaven chillies' or 'facing heaven chillies' which I grow on my balcony. And the peanuts  I roasted in my new microwave. First time to do that.

Both dishes look great.

Would like to hear more about your method for the Chicken.

• Like 1

@liuzhou : Have never heard of chayote shoots. Are they delicate like water spinach or yam shoots?
The Kung Pao I made last week was very westernized with baby corn and waterchestnuts.

Made moussaka early in the week, with ground beef and eaten with mashed cauliflower. It was a good meal to have on hand as we've been babysitting little granddaughters 3 days.

Moussaka0001.jpg

Hubby's birthday was in the middle of the week. I made Emeril Lagasse's Crab Cakes.

Crab Cakes0008.jpg

• Like 12

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

SOOOOOOOO totally white trash dinner last night....can you tell I'm single right now?

mixed green salad with olives, capers, grape tomatoes, shredded carrots and croutons with a nice vinaigrette

THEN......

a few mini smoked beef sausages, a small can of baked beans, a homemade barbecue sauce all cooked together with some Choula chile lime sauce and poured over some jasmine rice.

don't hate me............

• Like 8

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites