• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

liuzhou

Host's note: Happy New Year, everyone! This ever-popular topic is broken into segments to reduce load on our servers; the previous segment is here: Dinner 2016 (Part 11).

New Year's Day dinner - China style.

My dearest, best friend J invited me to join her and her boyfriend with his family for a (mostly) home cooked New Year dinner. She said that she asked me because I am the only family she has in town (she is from another city) - I felt so moved by that - but she is like family. My only family in town. Here is what we ate. 6 people.

20170101_181416.jpg

The spread

The red wine is unusual. I supplied that.

20170101_181629.jpg

Squid with peppers

20170101_181617.jpg

Beijing Duck

20170101_181634.jpg

Pork and Chinese Yam Soup

20170101_181650.jpg

White Cut Chicken

20170101_181655.jpg

Broccoli

20170101_181702.jpg

Beef with Peppers

20170101_181720.jpg

Steamed Pork Balls with Sticky Rice

20170101_181708.jpg

The Universal Dip served with all meals in this part of China.

These dishes were all home cooked apart from the Beijing duck. That was bought from the market and served with the usual accompaniments. J cooked the squid. I taught her how to cook squid years ago and she is now brave enough to depart slightly from my way by adding bell peppers instead of the hot peppers I use. Being from southern Guangxi, she is not a spice girl.

Everything was very good, but the pork balls with sticky rice were outstanding. And I don't usually like sticky rice much. I only ate the first one to be polite, then had several more. Mama was over the moon but in true Chinese style claimed she hadn't made them properly. Denigrating your own cooking is the height of good manners.

A great start to 2017 eating.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 17

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Liuzhou,   what a feast.  I would have loved your New Year's Eve dinner. 

New Year's Eve December 31st, 2016.jpg

We had our traditional New Year's Eve dinner  -  Lobster and Champagne.

New Year's Eve December 31st, 2016 1.jpg

Moe and I shared four 1 1/2 pound lobsters.

New Year's Eve December 31st, 2016 2.jpg

We learned a long time ago, that all you need is lobster no sides.  

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Liuzhou,   what a feast.  I would have loved your New Year's Eve dinner. 

New Year's Eve December 31st, 2016.jpg

We had our traditional New Year's Eve dinner  -  Lobster and Champagne.

New Year's Eve December 31st, 2016 1.jpg

Moe and I shared four 1 1/2 pound lobsters.

New Year's Eve December 31st, 2016 2.jpg

We learned a long time ago, that all you need is lobster no sides.  

I want to like it twice!  One for lobster and one for no sides.  

• Like 5

We got married on New Year's Eve, so it's a double special day :)  This marks 17 years.  We bought a nice prime rib (no bones) the other day and cut it in half.  I froze one half and the other has been in the fridge on an open tray covered with salt and pepper for a few days.

photo 1.JPG

Here he is out of the oven.  Oh it was sooooo good.  photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

Twice baked taters and brussels sprouts to go with.  I had planned on piping the potatoes into the skins but I couldn't find my thingy that does that so I settled for a ziplock bag with the corner cut off.

photo 2.JPG

photo 5.JPG

• Like 23

2 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Shelby that prime rib is cooked perfectly.

Thank you so much, David!  I roasted it in the oven at 200F until it hit 120F in the center (took about 2 hours).  Then I let it rest for 30 mins or so.  Finally I put it back in the oven at 500F for 10 mins until the outside was nice and browned.  Worked like a charm.

• Like 3

@liuzhou

I am insanely jealous.  Just touching the "like" button was not going to get across how I really feel.  Not just the food either but the way you were welcomed into a family.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Pasta e fagioli.
Borlotti beans, with onion, celery, carrot, rosemary, sage, garlic. The vegetables and half of the beans are blended smooth and creamy, the remaining beans left whole and soft. 
Ditalini pasta, a little parmesan, plenty of pepper, and a drizzle of strong olive oil from the tree in our garden.

20161224_153750.jpg

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

I used to do this New Years Day meal for fun and in remembrance of my Southern mom. Lately I have been doing it a little out of superstition. Three years ago we had what Cassie said was a traditional Mexican New Years dinner.  We had none of the Southern food that was representative of good luck and health in the year to come. The very next day, I fell and broke every bone in my ankle. 

Charlie is not a fan of black eyed peas with ham so I made my sister's chip dip with them instead. He like the dip.  The ham hocks were cooked with canary or  Mayocoba beans.  We had collard greens, deviled eggs, corn bread, green beans with new potatoes,  and pumpkin pie.

20170101_131446.jpg

20170101_131820.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 13

Well, I only THOUGHT there'd be no really interesting meals on this trip. Went out yesterday afternoon to take the kids to a drop-off childcare center they love, so I could get a little shopping done and they could burn off some energy, and decided, since they would eat "dinner" at the facility, I'd treat myself to a meal at a little Greek place I like in the same shopping center.

They told me their specials, which included a barbecued brisket plate that included a Greek salad. OK, sez I; I've never had Greek barbecue, and the notion is somewhat intriguing.

greek barbecue.jpg

The waitress brought out a healthy portion of sliced brisket, tender and well-smoked, in a barbecue sauce that was pure Tennessee; sweet, smoky, spicy. It was served over small redskin potatoes that had been quartered and, it looked like, parboiled and then roasted. With an order of hummus and some pita bread on the side, as well as the Greek salad.

Certainly one of the more "different" barbecue plates I've ever experienced, but I enjoyed it.

• Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Leftovers here:  grilled pork rib chop...cleaned the bone pretty well.  Chilled thirty second green beans dressed with olive oil and balsamic.  CSO frozen French fries dressed with Peruvian green sauce.

Hard to think of better.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

New Year's leftovers here - sausage in sauerkraut and cabbage (which got even better with a night in the fridge) and sautéed Brussels sprouts and microwave "baked" potatoes since there wasn't enough mashed potato leftover to go around. Finished with leftover apple crisp.

Unfortunately our microwave seems to have died so now I have to figure out what to replace it with. :(

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, quiet1 said:

New Year's leftovers here - sausage in sauerkraut and cabbage (which got even better with a night in the fridge) and sautéed Brussels sprouts and microwave "baked" potatoes since there wasn't enough mashed potato leftover to go around. Finished with leftover apple crisp.

Unfortunately our microwave seems to have died so now I have to figure out what to replace it with. :(

Cuisinart Steam Oven?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

New Year's Day dinner

Cornbread--  jalapeños , onions, hatch chile and cheddar

photo 1.JPG

BBQ chicken wings done in the IP and finished in the CSO along with black eyed peas and country ham --OH so good.  Spinach and mac and cheese.  Hopefully I covered all the lucky foods.  We need all the luck we can get.

photo 2.JPG

• Like 21

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Cuisinart Steam Oven?

We definitely need an actual microwave. :( I'm pondering a combo one, I liked it a lot when I had one in England.

9 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Tartiflette! Given that it's basically just potatoes, pancetta, caramelised onions, thyme, an entire wheel of Epoisses cheese and half a bottle of Alsace Riesling, there's no way THAT'S going to taste bad. 

IMG_1062.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1077.JPG

My housemate is super excited for dinner some night now and has no idea why. (Potatoes and melty cheese = awesome in his opinion. :D ) That looks fantastic.

• Like 3