• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

liuzhou

Pierogies, filled with potatoes, beans, farmer cheese, sour cream, chives and pepper. Served in butter and caramelized onions.

They are triangulars, because I dislike rerolling dough.

20170125_194724.jpg20170125_201108.jpg20170125_203807.jpg

• Like 17

~ Shai N.

5 hours ago, shain said:

Pierogies, filled with potatoes, beans, farmer cheese, sour cream, chives and pepper. Served in butter and caramelized onions.

They are triangulars, because I dislike rerolling dough.

My ex-wife's Mennonite grandmother made hers rectangular (like egg rolls) for the same reason. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chefmd said:

Onion soup with home made bread.  I do not like soggy croutons in my soup, prefer to serve bread on the side.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Why not both!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

@mm84321 Google isn't helpful with lomo; says its beef tenderloin in spanish.

And just to confuse things, for what it's worth, Wikipedia has this:

In Spanish cuisine, lomo embuchado is a dry-cured meat made from a pork tenderloin, sometimes called lomo for short. It is similar to cecina, but with pork instead of beef.

My emphasis.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

No dietician dare contemn me for the excess of my blanched Brussels sprouts and lime juice.  (Perhaps the Soave not so much.)  Tonight's digestive is Chartreuse V.E.P.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, chefmd said:

I do not like soggy croutons in my soup, prefer to serve bread on the side.

I've come to the same conclusion, I've tried Melting cheese on both sides of the croutons, buttering them, and so on, but by the time they are out of the broiler it's already too soggy. So I serve the soup with gruyere toasties on the side. 

9 hours ago, chromedome said:

My ex-wife's Mennonite grandmother made hers rectangular (like egg rolls) for the same reason. 

Like agnolotti? I assume you don't mean rolled like a cigar / egg roll. 

Sounds even more efficient then triangles :)

~ Shai N.

No, like an egg roll. A square of dough, folded over to make a rectangle. Not quite as cylindrical as an egg roll, because one side was flattened/pinched like the ends. I guess "razor clam" might be a better comparison.

Some of them would be slightly irregular, because nobody rolls dough perfectly square before cutting (though she was pretty good at that, too). The default filling was dry-curd cottage cheese, but she'd also do sweet ones with fruit fillings as desserts. Those tended to be smaller. 

She's still kicking, btw. She and her hubby are well into their 90s, and recently celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Chicken thighs with leeks and mushrooms, garlic, ginger, chillies, lemon olives. On simple fried rice with turmeric, red pepper and scallions.

dinner.jpg

The next few days I'm booked up for Chinese new year dinners, so won't be doing much cooking but lots of eating. It's a hard life.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 28/01/2017 at 8:34 PM, rarerollingobject said:

Mille feuille nabe; layers and layers of cabbage, thinly-sliced pork belly, cavolo nero leaves, thinly-sliced beef, and enoki mushrooms. You drizzle it all in stock, sake or soju and sesame oil and simmer it till cooked. Mille feuille nabe.

Amazing!

[Host's note:  this topic grew too big for our servers to handle efficiently.  The discussion continues here.]

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com