• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

liuzhou

52 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

To be honest, I can't remember when I had my first palm heart. They can be expensive as heck, but I will not be denied an occasional treat. A local supermarket has a yearly "can can" sale, and I pony right up to that for the year. Here is a peek at my current stash.

HC

Up here they sell 'em at the Dollarama chain of dollar stores. I keep meaning to buy some one of these days, but I never remember when I'm actually in the store. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A very satisfying dinner:  grilled pork chop (one of those strangely boned dark meat things that are so flavorful -- cheap too).  Huge sweet potato, eight hours in the CSO.  Barely blanched Brussels sprouts.  No leftovers.

What was different is that I tasted aceto balsamico tradizionale for the first time ever.  On the Brussels sprouts.  So good.  But as thick as blood and I was painfully counting out the drops at about 30 cents each.  For the last of the sprouts I poured on the inexpensive stuff that I buy by the liter.  Quite good also in its own way.

Incidentally, the WMF strainer is an excellent tool for removing sprouts from boiling water.  Beats tongs for convenience.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 2017-01-25 at 11:36 PM, C. sapidus said:

Hey, I haven't been on here since Mrs. C kicked me out of the kitchen but she is on a work trip this week, so . . . butternut squash curry with coconut milk, chicken stock, dried shrimp, Mussaman curry paste, and basil. Great to see Dejah and Ann_T still posting meals I would love to dig into.

Delighted that you are back posting, Bruce. Hope there won't be any more long absences. :)

@dcarch: Enjoying your food artistry again!
Chinese New year...will have to ramp things up a bit this weekend, but for last night, brined and roasted a piece of pork loin, rapini, and a lime-cilantro habanera cheese baked cauliflower side. Used sugar substitute (Swerve) for the cranberry sauce.

Roast Pork Lime-cilantro Cauliflower0003.jpg

• Like 10

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 1/26/2017 at 0:36 AM, C. sapidus said:

Hey, I haven't been on here since Mrs. C kicked me out of the kitchen but she is on a work trip this week, so . . . butternut squash curry with coconut milk, chicken stock, dried shrimp, Mussaman curry paste, and basil. Great to see Dejah and Ann_T still posting meals I would love to dig into.

SquashCurry_201701-1.jpg

BRUCE!!!!!  So thrilled to see you!  Still cooking some of the most interesting food on the planet!  I've been MIA a lot lately, too, but it was so nice you see your blue crab avatar!

20 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

BRUCE!!!!!  So thrilled to see you!  Still cooking some of the most interesting food on the planet!  I've been MIA a lot lately, too, but it was so nice you see your blue crab avatar!

Hey Kim! Always nice to see you still frying a Pug.:D

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

A very satisfying dinner:  grilled pork chop (one of those strangely boned dark meat things that are so flavorful -- cheap too).  Huge sweet potato, eight hours in the CSO.  Barely blanched Brussels sprouts.  No leftovers.

What was different is that I tasted aceto balsamico tradizionale for the first time ever.  On the Brussels sprouts.  So good.  But as thick as blood and I was painfully counting out the drops at about 30 cents each.  For the last of the sprouts I poured on the inexpensive stuff that I buy by the liter.  Quite good also in its own way.

Incidentally, the WMF strainer is an excellent tool for removing sprouts from boiling water.  Beats tongs for convenience.

I'm a fan of balsamic vinegar on Brussels sprouts, too, though I use Trader Joe's "Jug o' Balsamic", not the expensive stuff. :B

It sounds delicious!

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, kayb said:

@HungryChris -- inquiring minds want to know -- what kind of dressing on the wedge?

Marie's Chunky Blue Cheese is one of Deb's favorites, so that is what I went with. After  a recent restaurant disappointment where the wedge salad came with a myriad of additional distractions, we both agreed that a wedge salad was simple by definition: a wedge of crisp iceberg lettuce and blue cheese dressing, I chose to go the add your own dressing route , even though it does not lend itself well to the photo opp . It was good, and I will do  it again in the future. The wedge salad is such an easy concept from a preparation standpoint, it just makes life easier and got good reviews on the home front.

HC 

• Like 3

Stir fried pork with black fermented beans and mushrooms. Rice.

dinner1.jpg

Pork, black fermented beans, garlic, ginger, chilli, osmanthus wine, soy sauce, coriander leaf, scallions.

dinner2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I had both quail and turkey leftover from recent meals so I deboned it and made quail & turkey pot pie.  In my house pot pie --even if there are potatoes in the pie--must be served over a dollop of mashed potatoes.  

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 14

I've been working on this dish for a piece I'm writing about our local craft beer trade.  It took about seven attempts to get the right balance between the ale in the marinade, the dressing for the salad and the right oil temperature and coating.  But I think it's where I want it.  The best part, eating all my test dishes for dinner.

Crispy Fried Asian Wings with Sweet Soy Glaze and Shredded Iceberg-

IMG_1564.JPG

• Like 13

I'll definitely share once it's published.  There is a bit of dried red chile flakes in the dressing for the lettuce salad, but this gets me to thinking I should add some chile flakes to the marinade!

• Like 2

On 1/27/2017 at 1:00 PM, Toliver said:

I'm a fan of balsamic vinegar on Brussels sprouts, too, though I use Trader Joe's "Jug o' Balsamic", not the expensive stuff. :B

It sounds delicious!

I reduce the cheap balsamic to a syrup...not exactly like expensive stuff...but in that neighborhood.  Many applications...sprouts, cheese accompaniment, duck confit

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Dejah said:

low-carb tortillas

Did you make them or are they a commercial product?

So many commercial low-carb tortillas and such suck but I've found the Mission Carb Balance tortillas to be reasonably good.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Speaking of reduced balsamic - Pork tenderloin with a reduced balsamic and mustard sauce, roasted squash, onions and garlic and roasted broccolini with sauteed mushrooms. 

I planned on something completely different but it's been snowing lightly but steadily here for a couple of days and I decided not to make the planned trek to the store (about 7 miles).

I had everything for this in the freezer or fridge.

DSC02019.jpg

Earlier in the week - a chicken fricassee  with porcini mushrooms and marsala (Marcella Hazan) with pasta with garlic, parsley and olive oil. And a salad.

DSC02015.jpg

Cocoa noir beans cooked per Dinosaur BBQ - which means with lots of additions - garlic, onions, hot sauce, brown sugar and probably 6 or 7 other things I forget - with brown rice, a salsa of fresh ginger, hot pepper, lime zest and lime juice, feta, coriander and avocado. With tortilla chips for scooping.

DSC01988.jpg

• Like 11

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina