• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

liuzhou

7 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Your frites look amazing!  Looks like a brioche bun but not too big for the burger!  Yum.

Thank you! I must confess that the Fries were from frozen and crisped up very nicely in the duck fat. And the Onion Roll, one of my favorites, is from our local HEB grocery store bakery.

• Like 4

On 1/19/2017 at 4:21 PM, Smithy said:

How did you like the texture and doneness of the salmon, @mgaretz? I'm always on the alert for more ways to do salmon - my favorite fish, but not my darling's unless it's done certain ways.

It was wonderful!

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

OMG the food around here is really really needing to be right in front of me.  I want @HungryChris's fish, @rustwood's noodles, @robirdstx's burger and @mgaretz's chili cheese dog.  

Roasted a couple of turkey quarters in the CSO last night.  Going to make a turkey (and quail) pot pie with the leftovers.

photo 2.JPG

• Like 15

11 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Thank you! I must confess that the Fries were from frozen and crisped up very nicely in the duck fat. And the Onion Roll, one of my favorites, is from our local HEB grocery store bakery.

Thomas Keller uses frozen fries at Bouchon

• Like 4

Chis had to work overtime and the company provided dinner so it was just me. Small stomach pouch, small dinner! Seasoned and steamed edamame with prosciutto and salami left over from the pig board we had the other night, Burrata cheese drizzled with a bit of balsamic, and hard-boiled egg sprinkled with furikake. I love my midget plates and forks too much probably.

333592_10150437560311617_71574306_o.jpg

• Like 13

15 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Any idea which ones?

Don't know about Keller, but I used Ore/Ida Extra Crispy Fast Food Fries. Pan fried in a single layer in a 10" skillet in about two tablespoons of duck fat. Made two nice servings.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

@Mysstwalker

I have frequently looked with interest at the miniature dishes and cutlery but could not bring myself to acquire any. I think you might just have enabled me!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

58 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Gotta love it. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Mysstwalker

I have frequently looked with interest at the miniature dishes and cutlery but could not bring myself to acquire any. I think you might just have enabled me!

I got them about 8 years ago at a Fresh & Easy in Cali. They were perfect for portion control then, and are still now, since I can only eat maybe a half cup of food at a time since my bypass. I saw some at Walmart the other day so will probably pick them up and replenish my supply!

• Like 1

@Mysstwalker I'm also a fan of small cutlery, actually this is my avatar in the forums. I always where a slow eater (though I eat just as much) and I like eating in smallish bites. At home, I will never choose to eat with a fulll size fork or spoon, so I usually eat with a cake fork and a teaspoon.  

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

1 minute ago, shain said:

@Mysstwalker I'm also a fan of small cutlery, actually this is my avatar in the forums. I always where a slow eater (though I eat just as much) and I like eating in smallish bites. At home, I will never choose to eat with a fulll size fork or spoon, so I usually eat with a cake fork and a teaspoon.  

I am supposed to take 20-30 minutes to eat a meal, chewing properly, blah blah blah, but if I eat that slow, everything is cold! I inherited all of my grandmothers little 3-tine forks and that is exclusively what I use, if I am not using these.

• Like 2

@HungryChris I could go for some of that fish and chips!  Yum.

I made the rest of the pollock into New England style fish cakes and served them as sandwiches with some tots and Grillo's hot Italian pickles (my current pickle obsession).  I poached the fish in milk and I don't know if that helped or if the fish was just really fresh, but it tasted sweet and clean.  So, two successful pollock meals.  I hope I get something else next week though. 

fishburger.jpg

• Like 15