• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

liuzhou

Had time on my hands and feeling a bit nostalgic for food from my old restaurant menu9_9,

My brother just gave me a 14" pre-seasoned cast iron wok on sale at our local supermarket - $19.99, so I thought it'd be a good time to do a bit more seasoning by deep-frying.

Made our Soo's (my family restaurant named after my dad) #17 - deep fried dry spareribs, then simmered the ribs in sweet & sour sauce for # 13.

Eaten with cauliflower friend rice and some stir-fried broccoli. Satisfied the nostalgia but not the need to go back into the restaurant biz.:D
                                          New cast iron wok

New Wok 0006.jpg

Soo's # 17 Deep fried Dr Spareribs

Soo's 17 0004.jpg
                                           Soo's #13 Sweet & Sour Spareribs

Sweet & Sour Ribs 0007.jpg
                                          Cauliflower Fried Rice

Mock Fried Rice 0005.jpg

• Like 20

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dungeness crab is still, happily, in season.  We had this this with garlic butter and baguette slices on a sliced open garbage bag on the living room floor.  It's messy and the dining room table is still filled with the detrius of trying to move back into the newly remodeled kitchen.  So we roughed  it.  Still tasted great.  

IMG_1203.JPG

Edited by Jacksoup
Spelling (log)
  • Like 16

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

My husband is at the NFL AFC Championship game tonight (go Patriots!) I gave my ticket to his brother and stayed home to have a dinner I love and he hates: roasted mushroom sandwich. I put some sautéed kale and garlic in it along with an aged cheddar.

IMG_3940.JPG

I only host Super Bowl parties when the Patriots are in it. Looks like it's time to start planning the menu!

A Pats themed meal? Let's see.... Underinflated souffle?

• Like 7

Doesn't everyone come home from work on a Monday night and make themselves the Chinese New Year classic, lap mei fun/waxed meat clay pot rice for dinner??

Lup cheong wind-dried sausages, lup yuk Chinese five spice cured and smoked belly bacon, a waxed duck breast, shiitake mushrooms, choy sum greens, Sichuanese preserved salted vegetables (siumiyacai), Shaohsing rice wine, dark soy, sesame oil, white pepper and rice cooked in chicken stock until the bottom's crispy and the top's absorbed all the meat juices.

Happy CNY to me and my arteries!

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_1838.JPG

• Like 18

Fresh green beans, pressure cooked in tomato sauce, flavored with onion, garlic, cumin, paprika, anise, parsley, cilantro. Served with bulgur. Topped with raw chopped onion , cherry tomatoes and parsley. A large drizzle of tahini sauce.

20170120_145234.jpg

• Like 12

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Ronnie went hunting over the weekend and came home with some quail.  I SV'd them.  So tender.  'Taters, peas and breaded tomatoes on the side.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

I'm just so envious y'all still have quail. All gone around here.

Ate many, many fried quail growing up. With biscuits, mashed potatoes and gravy.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 minutes ago, kayb said:

I'm just so envious y'all still have quail. All gone around here.

Ate many, many fried quail growing up. With biscuits, mashed potatoes and gravy.

I thought mighty hard about frying these, but SV won out out last night......

21 hours ago, gfweb said:

A Pats themed meal? Let's see.... Underinflated souffle?

:P

So my weekly fish share finally cursed me with the dreaded pollock.  I buy a 2 lb/week share and give half to my sister in exchange for her going to the share site and delivering it to my house.  But she hates pollock too and her kids refuse to eat it and so she left the entire two pounds at my house!  I made a fish cake with some of it tonight and it was actually pretty decent, probably because the fish cake included garlic, ginger, thai basil, kaffir lime, ginger, cilantro, fish sauce and chiles.  I loosely based it on this recipe from New York Times Cooking: 

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014211-thai-style-sea-scallop-cakes

pollock cakes.jpg

• Like 12

23 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

Dungeness crab is still, happily, in season.  We had this this with garlic butter and baguette slices on a sliced open garbage bag on the living room floor.  It's messy and the dining room table is still filled with the detrius of trying to move back into the newly remodeled kitchen.  So we roughed  it.  Still tasted great.  

Love Dungeness crab, especially for Chinese New Year. BUT, it's $15.99 / lb, and with my family, we'd need about 6 crabs!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Steelhead trout fillets, clams, and fresh fennel looked so inviting. All came home with me, and all made a lovely plate.:D

Fennel bulb was sliced and sauteed with shallots. Crumbled bacon and chopped cilantro were added to the mix. The whole mess was sandwiched between two fillets and baked in a 400F oven for 15 minutes.

The clams were steamed in lemongrass Kaffir lime leave infused coconut milk.

Steelhead Trout & Fennel 0002.jpg

Steelhead Trout & Clams 0006.jpg

• Like 16

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I had some steak leftover from the other night so I repurposed it into stroganoff.  I usually prefer ground beef, but this wasn't too bad.  I did it in the Instant Pot.  It didn't thicken up like it usually does, but I was running late and it was edible enough lol.

photo.JPG

• Like 12

@Shelby

Please. Need further details on your stroganoff from leftover steak done in the IP.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Chinese style pork liver and onions.

20170124_204306.jpg

Red onion, garlic, chilli, ginger. Liver marinated in Shaoxing wine and salt. Stir fried the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger till soft, then added liver until just coloured. Finished with garlic shoots.

Served with rice and a side of fried mixed mushrooms,

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Shelby

Please. Need further details on your stroganoff from leftover steak done in the IP.

Well, I was definitely winging it.  The steak I had SV'd and some of it was really tender and some of it was tough, so we ate the tender and saved the tough.  I cut it up into approx. 1" pieces and set it aside.  I pushed the sauté button on the IP and waited until it said "HOT" and then threw in a knob of butter and some diced onions.  Let that cook down a bit.  Then I threw in some sliced mushrooms, diced garlic, some dried thyme and some dried parsley.  To that I added a glug of wine and let that cook off.  I then turned the IP off and added the meat and some beef broth (here is where I screwed up and added too much broth).  And a couple glugs of worcestershire sauce (that's a must for me--adds a certain something).  Then I pushed manual, high pressure and set the time for 10 mins.  While that was going I made a thickener of flour, butter and a bit of broth (screwed up here again and didn't make enough thickener).  I let the IP naturally release, hit the sauté button again and added the thickener.  After that incorporated I turned the IP off and stirred in some sour cream.  The flavor was good, the steak was nice and tender, the sauce just needed to be thicker.

edited to add that I also used a decent amount of black pepper.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 3

Thanks, @Shelby.   I have added sour cream and some wide egg noodles to my grocery list.  

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Chickpeas and (dried) peas, pressure cooked and pureed with some butter, garlic a touch of cumin. Stir fried peppers and mushrooms, scallions, chili, black pepper, thyme. Served with crisp toasts and pita chips.

20170121_205957.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 11

~ Shai N.

Damn. It looks good except.......that puree.:(

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Dan Dan noodles again, this time with hand made & cut noodles.  This was clearly not precision cutting, but it was good enough to fill a weeknight craving.  I am going to have to try it at least once more and break out the pasta roller/cutter.

dan dan hand cut.jpghand cut noodles.jpg

Edited by rustwood (log)
  • Like 12