• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

liuzhou

On 1/16/2017 at 6:00 PM, Tri2Cook said:

Beef Paprikas, boiled potatoes and cucumber dill salad in all of it's uncalculated pile-it-on-the-plate-and-munch glory...

hungarian1.jpg

Tri2Cook, I dearly love paprikash, but have never found a recipe I like to make it at home. Could you share one? This looks lovely.

17 hours ago, shain said:

Cannelloni filled with sweet potato, and two types of goat cheese (one similar to cream cheese and the other feta), sage, caramelized onions, nutmeg, a little chilli, chives.

Baked covered in a bechamel with pecorino (so I guess calling it a thin mornay is more correct) nutmeg and black pepper.

20170115_193325.jpg20170115_193340.jpg20170115_194057.jpg20170115_202744.jpg20170115_202957.jpg

Dear Sweet Baby Jesus. That looks absolutely marvelous, and I could cheerfully dive right into it.

As someone who has never made her own pasta, beyond gnocchi, I have occasionally cheated by using egg roll/won ton wrappers to make ravioli, tortellini and such. I did ravioli with a somewhat similar filling once -- butternut squash and goat cheese -- boiled it and then pan-fried them crisp, before drizzling with a brown butter/sage sauce. Very good, but labor-intensive.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I made a smaller casserole than usual of scalloped potatoes, which were excellent as always, but I still have a serving or two left over. This is not a bad thing. I love scalloped potatoes. This was served with a ground chuck burger with no accompaniments except its luscious med rare juices and salt and pepper. Frozen ground chuck burgers are good for a single person. Quick to thaw and no waste. So good too.

Green stuff will come tomorrow, unless you count the limes I used in my Coronas, and the scallions in the scalloped potatoes. :)

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

Years ago we bought a spätzlehobel and it makes preparing spätzle so easy.

4405510317169p.jpg

Got mine in Hungary a couple of weeks ago. The Hungarian version is simpler, flimsier and 1/3 the price (it's right next to the German made like yours). The holes have a slightly different design. Works great but next time I'll get the German one as well.

lPRuW6m.jpg

I use the recipe in this book.

k5B6DqU.jpg

• Like 7

@Porthos and @BonVivant

I do not remember ever having spätzle but after watching it being made on a TV program, I became quite intrigued. But before I buy another kitchen toy that will get used once and then just occupy space, I think I might try using the colander and spatula method. It does look very appetizing. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

@Porthos and @BonVivant

I do not remember ever having spätzle but after watching it being made on a TV program, I became quite intrigued. But before I buy another kitchen toy that will get used once and then just occupy space, I think I might try using the colander and spatula method. It does look very appetizing. 

You need a colander with fairly large holes to make it work properly. If the bits of batter dropping into the water are too small, I find they tend to just disperse and give you starchy water. 

An alternative is to pipe from a bag through a small tip. I found that worked better, so it's the method I used until I got the proper tool for the job (mine's a round plastic one, sized to fit on top of the pot, and you use a flexible scraper to force the batter through). You can also just cut the batter off a cutting board, but I never really got the hang of that technique. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

@Porthos and @BonVivant

or do as Johnnybird's grandmother did ... and taught me to do ... use a knife, a wooden cutting board and a pot of boiling water,  She would plop some dough on the cutting board she had wet with some water, shave off small noodles with the knife she had dipped into the boiling water into the pot.......fish out with a spider when done and shock in some ice water.  Reheat in a pan with some butter.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I bought one of these at a German store many, many moons ago.  It doubles as a potato ricer.  It requires some muscle to plunge the dough out of the holes and it is a two person job....one with the muscle and the other to cut off the extrusion as it emerges.  I have also done the wooden board trick mentioned above that that works well but you need to move quickly so they all get done at the same time.

DSC01800.jpgDSC01801.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I bought one of these at a German store many, many moons ago.  It doubles as a potato ricer.  It requires some muscle to plunge the dough out of the holes and it is a two person job....one with the muscle and the other to cut off the extrusion as it emerges.  I have also done the wooden board trick mentioned above that that works well but you need to move quickly so they all get done at the same time.

DSC01800.jpgDSC01801.jpg

Interesting timing that this topic should come up!  A couple days before we started talking about spaetzle I ordered myself one of these:

http://www.wmf.com/en/potato-masher-0610809990.html

Eons ago I had a cast aluminum spaetzle press that went the way of all aluminum food surfaces in this house.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

This thread makes me very hungry. Heck, this whole site makes me hungry.

Last night's dinner: Venison back strap (a gift from a hunter friend) (which fell out of the freezer on my feet) that I marinated in red wine, lemon juice, juniper berries, thyme, garlic and olive oil then seared quickly per @Shelby and my mother. With Deborah Madison's 5 minute beets (golden beets) and roasted potatoes. When we ate at the CIA last month I had venison served with guava gelee and cherry sauce. I couldn't manage the guava but I simmered some dried cherries in water and lemon juice, drained them and seasoned them with coriander, cinnamon, a dash of cayenne and a little butter. They made a very good accompaniment to the venison.

When my husband came home last night there were 5 deer in our driveway - he thought they might have heard about our dinner menu and were staging a protest. 

DSC01997.jpg

• Like 18

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

My dinner last night, per @Anna N's freezer challenge:

enchiladas.jpg

Pulled pork enchiladas, Mexican(ish) rice, an extra tortilla with melted cheese and powdered pico de gallo seasoning, toasted in the CSO. Sort of a cheese tostada.

It needed some greenery, but I had none in the house and didn't want to bother to go get any.

• Like 15

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 hours ago, Anna N said:

@Porthos and @BonVivant

I have only tried the hand-cut method... very time consuming. From what I've read the pushing through a collander method is the worst. Now with this Hungarian dumpling maker it's ridiculously easy and fast.

I also eat store-bought dried Spätzle once a week, but it's a different kind, more like cut up pasta in terms of shape. But now I can make other Spätzle based dishes with the new maker. Leftover Spätzle is even better fried in lard or with Speck (cured smoked bacon) til a bit crispy.

Hungarians eat a lot of dumplings and pasta. The same dumplings are usually eaten with something saucy, like this one, but can also be in soup or as a side.

It was in Budapest.

AJgNjTH.jpg

• Like 12

There are 2 fundamental styles of making spätzle. Hand-cut uses a stiffer dough whereas a thinner batter is used with a spätzlehobel.  Hand-cut seems labor-intensive and has never interested me.

Edited by Porthos
Typo (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Night before last an old friend came over for dinner and I made SV tri-tip, mashed cauliflower and salad.  No pics.

Last night we had SV salmon.  It was cooked for 40 minutes at 122F and then basted with a honey-orange juice glaze, torch seared then rebasted.  It kinda fell apart on the way from the bag to the searing station.  Served with mixed veggies.

salmon-citrus.jpg

• Like 14

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I have been away for some time dealing with family health issues, but I’ve spent the past few days catching up on my favorite threads Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner!  As always, I’m impressed and inspired by the food here at eG.  I’ve been cooking very little the last few months and not cataloging or photographing what I DO cook, so I don’t have much to contribute yet!  Before Christmas I bought myself an electric skillet.  I’ve wanted one for a while now.  I love to make fried things, but have a problem maintaining temperature in a frying pan.  It was on sale and very cheap, so I jumped at it.  My first experiment was dinner the other night.  Fried chicken – by my regular recipe: 24 hour buttermilk soak, drained then rubbed with a spice rub that includes Sazon, Accent, pepper and unsweetened lemonade powder (!!!):

DSCN6299.JPG

Also liver (cook’s treat – no one else here likes it), whipped potatoes w/ gravy and butter beans.  I really like using the skillet a lot – looking forward to trying fish and chips!  And it was nice to be cooking again.

• Like 19

How did you like the texture and doneness of the salmon, @mgaretz? I'm always on the alert for more ways to do salmon - my favorite fish, but not my darling's unless it's done certain ways.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown