• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

liuzhou

18 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Butter and a bit of mint sauce.

Canned peas are an abomination and unsightly in the name of whomever you choose to believe in. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Canned peas are an abomination and unsightly in the name of whomever you choose to believe in. 

'I used to have to make a little dish of them for my FIL for special dinners because he would not eat anything else. So stuff like Christmas dinner we'd have a lovely spread, all carefully sourced ingredients, well-prepared, and then... his peas.

Sigh.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Maker's Mark bourbon barrel smoked pulled pork and a twice baked potato.  

Let's go Chiefs. 

20170115_223912.jpg

I am liking this for the wonderful looking food.....not the part about the Chiefs :P

Beef Paprikas, boiled potatoes and cucumber dill salad in all of it's uncalculated pile-it-on-the-plate-and-munch glory...

hungarian1.jpg

• Like 14

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Lazy night for dinner tonight. My husband made a Marie Callender's Turkey Pot Pie for himself in the microwave and I made a quick Egg Salad Sandwich with an already hard cooked egg, some mayo, and salt and pepper on a slice of honey wheat bread. Hit the spot for both of us!

IMG_0179.JPG

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 10

Went out deep sea fishing yesterday.  50 mi. offshore fishing in 130-150 ft water.   Got rougher than predicted. Areas with structure were less than stellar.   Small legal snapper caught made a great ceviche on the boat.  Done two ways. Asian and Mexican.  A few legal lane snappers made its way home

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 15

Cold weather comfort. A cottage pie with cabbage.

cottage pie ad cabbage.jpg

Simple beef, onion and carrot with Worcestershire sauce, S+P and secret ingredient*, topped with buttery mash. Stir fried cabbage.

* a sprinkling of shichimi togarishi.

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Cannelloni filled with sweet potato, and two types of goat cheese (one similar to cream cheese and the other feta), sage, caramelized onions, nutmeg, a little chilli, chives.

Baked covered in a bechamel with pecorino (so I guess calling it a thin mornay is more correct) nutmeg and black pepper.

20170115_193325.jpg20170115_193340.jpg20170115_194057.jpg20170115_202744.jpg20170115_202957.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 17

~ Shai N.

4 minutes ago, shain said:

Cannelloni filled with sweet potato, and two types of goat cheese (one similar to cream cheese and the other feta), sage, caramelized onions, nutmeg, a little chilli, chives.

Baked covered in a bechamel with pecorino (so I guess calling it a thin mornay is more correct) nutmeg and black pepper.

20170115_193325.jpg20170115_193340.jpg20170115_194057.jpg20170115_202744.jpg20170115_202957.jpg

I would like this a million times if I could.

• Like 4

image.jpeg

Pork chop with roasted carrots, parsnips and potatoes. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I fried up some zucchini tonight, and while I already had the mess from the frying going on, I decided to fry my sweet potato and thin pork chop as well. I also threw in a jalapeno and a couple serrano peppers into the mix. While this meal was all fried, it wasn't as greasy as one might think. I use more paper towels draining and blotting fried foods than I use for all other purposes. The pork chop was given a liberal introduction to cayenne, a milder, but flavorful chili pepper and black pepper, and everything was shaken in a bag with flour before its trip though the hot oil. 

I prefer pork chops broiled, but that requires a war with the smoke detector. I'm pretty sure it is a militant vegetarian. :D

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

13 hours ago, TicTac said:

Seconded & Third'd!!

I have made ravioli with a similar filling before, the idea of a bechemel (curious to hear your method) on top of it, oh so decadent!

It does work well in ravioli, especially with butter and sage, though I'll skip the cheeses in the filling. 

I can't claim much originality with the bachemel, I simply add the grated cheese to it so that it will melt, then cover the cannelloni and bake. It provides moisture to cook the pasta and since the filling is relatively lean, it does not end up heavy, although a garlicky, creamy and cheesy sauce is definitely decadent. 

Edited by shain (log)

~ Shai N.

I found this chicken breast in the freezer that I had stuffed with cheese and ham and SV'd.  So, I thawed it out in a 135F water bath.  Was good and easy.  No, I didn't brown it.  I was too lazy.

photo.JPG

• Like 11

Liamsaunt,  amazing photos.

On 16/01/2017 at 5:12 PM, scubadoo97 said:

Went out deep sea fishing yesterday.  50 mi. offshore fishing in 130-150 ft water.   Got rougher than predicted. Areas with structure were less than stellar.   Small legal snapper caught made a great ceviche on the boat.  Done two ways. Asian and Mexican.  A few legal lane snappers made its way home

image.jpeg

Scubadoo,   I'm thinking of cooking fresh sole for Moe tonight.  I can't tell if your fish has a light batter on it or if you just dipped it in flour.

Could you please share how you cooked the flounder?  

• Like 1