• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

liuzhou

image.jpeg

Duck breast, grilled lettuce dressed with balsamic glaze and home made bread. 

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, TicTac said:

Would like to hear more about your method for the Chicken.

Thanks. It is basically this recipe, although I was cooking for one, so I reduced quantities.

5 hours ago, Dejah said:

Have never heard of chayote shoots. Are they delicate like water spinach or yam shoots?

Yes. A very delicate vegetable. One of my favourites. Best cooked simply, I find.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Open face meat loaf sandwich, with lots of mayo, and brie. Sorry, @rotuts, not TJ's brie, as we don't have such an establishment. 

Forgot to take a pic because I was starving, but it was good.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Steak and Salad Night!

IMG_0176.JPG

My portion of grilled ribeye, seasoned with fresh ground black pepper, granulated garlic and onion powder

IMG_0177.JPG

Salad of romaine, English cucumber, tomato, mushrooms, celery, green onion, green bell pepper, radish, hard cooked egg, garbanzo beans, black olives, bacon and shredded mozzarella with a honey mustard dressing

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 17

Today, did my Googling, found a recipe that seemed doable, copied the important details onto a slip of paper and headed to the kitchen where my pig heart awaited.

I like hearts. Chicken and duck for preference. But I'd never cooked a pig heart before.

Anyway, I forgot to take the slip of paper and winged it instead. Trimmed it of nasty bits, cubed it, browned it and chucked it into the slow cooker with garlic, onion, chilli, thyme, beef stock and some red wine, carrot and new potatoes. S+P. A one pot meal.

A couple of hours later I served it up.

pig heart.jpg

There was more liquid than in the image.

It was OK, but I found the heart pretty tasteless. Maybe my fault. Later, I added some Dijon mustard to remind myself that I was eating.

The key test of a recipe or ingredient: would you make it again? No. But I wouldn't refuse it if it turned up at a dinner in a friend's house. Highly unlikely scenario.

I must investigate how the hearts are treated in Chinese cuisine.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Never made chicken fried steak!  By the looks of that plate I am seriously amiss with my recipe selections.

So, season meat, dredge in flour, dip in egg, and dredge in bread crumbs then fry?

Any sauce that's a must...? Fried onions on the side?

10 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Never made chicken fried steak!  By the looks of that plate I am seriously amiss with my recipe selections.

So, season meat, dredge in flour, dip in egg, and dredge in bread crumbs then fry?

Any sauce that's a must...? Fried onions on the side?

They are good.... you need to try it.

First, you take your meat and beat the heck out of it with a meat tenderizer

photo.jpg

(is that what this is called?  maybe it's a meat mallet??).  I mean really get after it.  Then, place your meat in buttermilk that has an egg beaten into it and let it soak for a while.  I soak for an hour or so.  While soaking get your flour ready.  I add garlic, black pepper and Lawry's salt to it in a ziplock bag (or you can use a bowl or whatever...I like using a ziplock, it makes less of a mess for me).  Take your meat out of the buttermilk mixture and put it in the bag and shake it up (or dredge it in a bowl).  Heat your oil up to 350F and fry.  Good stuff.  

Gravy and mashed potatoes are a must....fried onions would be good, too.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 4

A tad off topic but I have almost the same meat pounder.  The difference is that the points on mine are all almost flat.  Many years ago I sent my then 3 year old daughter to the neighbor's to borrow her pounder.  On the way back she found a row on ants.  Now what little kid could resists  squatting  down and beating a few with the pounder?  Not mine.  I kept that one and bought a nice, new pointy one for the neighbor.

Chicken fried steak was wonderful and I "know" the black specks in the gravy were from pepper, not ants.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

....chicken fried venison steak....

One of my favorite things in the whole-wide-world!

I 'chicken fry' as much of the deer as possible! :smile:

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

Canned Diner Peas    a must.

NOOOOOOOOOO..........frozen or fresh.  I finally got Johnnybird to eat peas by introducing him to fresh English peas in the spring and summer and lightly cooked frozen at any other time.  His mother used to cook the canned peas to a grey mush when he was a kid......

my mom as she got older used to eat Veg-all.  I could not do it...........

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

16 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Chorizo stuffed littleneck clams.

HC

clams close.jpgstuffed.jpglittleneck sale.jpg

STUFFIES..........

am  watching the American football playoffs and not sure what I want to eat.... there are roasted sweet potatoes, roasted butternut squash, a meatloaf and surprise,,,,,chicken salad made with some chopped apple for sweetness

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's all about the bread. A fried egg sandwich on a freshly baked multigrain, white bread which may become my signature loaf. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

"""    cook the canned peas """

No no no !  they are already cooked !

gently heat , add a knob of butter   

nice for Diner Food.

Butter and a bit of mint sauce.