• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

liuzhou

Started with slaw like salad, chopped whatever refrigerator had for me: Napa cabbge, carrot, cucumber, onion, apple with mayo and lime juice.  Also had reheated left over roasted chicken.

image.jpg

• Like 10

@HungryChris -- hard to beat!

How far are you from Boston? Will be up that way and probably going up to Gloucester in the spring. Would love to come on up and meet you for lunch or dinner. Can't be that far' y'all's states are pretty small...

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I snacked while I was out running a bunch of errands. So dinner was 2 over-easy eggs with good toasted sour dough to sop up the left-over yolk. Sublime.

• Like 10

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Caesar salad again tonight. Large heads of Romaine have been running at 99 cents, available tomatoes are really bad, and let's face it, Caesar salad is good! No, I'm not in a rut. I am on a kick:D

Then I made one of my favorite pasta dishes: sliced button mushrooms sauteed in butter with a little salt and garlic then shrimp given the same treatment in that pan with crushed red pepper flakes while the spaghetti cooks. Stir it all together, plate on the hot plate where you were keeping the 'shrooms warm on and add parmesan cheese. This was really good, but I made myself put aside a serving for breakfast tomorrow.

Dessert was part of a cantaloupe from Guatemala. It was a huge fruit, but it won't win any prizes for sweetest of most fragrant. Still it is a very nice change from more local fruit available in the dead of winter with snow and ice still on the ground. I was very glad to get it.

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

Visually disappointing, but tickled the taste buds just fine.

A one pot chicken thigh, leek and mushroom (button and shiitake) stew with a little chilli flakes and new potatoes.

Could have done with something green, but I didn't have anything suitable and I wasn't going out in this terrible weather.

dinner.jpg

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My mother-in-law just got out of the hospital and they sent her home with a gift.  A HUGE head cold.  She feels and sounds terrible.  So, last night I made a huge pot of chicken and noodle soup with lots of rich homemade broth.  I used half chicken and half turkey (broth).  Hopefully it makes her feel a little better.  Oh, so, I had a little bowl of that for dinner.  

• Like 7

12 hours ago, kayb said:

@HungryChris -- hard to beat!

How far are you from Boston? Will be up that way and probably going up to Gloucester in the spring. Would love to come on up and meet you for lunch or dinner. Can't be that far' y'all's states are pretty small...

@kayb, we are about an hour and a half out of Boston. It certainly would be fun and doable. Driving into Boston is a PITA, so it would probably involve taking the "T" in from an outlying town. The devil is in the details. We will be in Boston for a cruise to Bermuda sometime in June. When you mention Gloucester, I think whale watch.

HC

Yesterday I cooked dinner for six, but four of them didn't show up. 
I just don't get millennials. 
So they had car troubles, that's fair enough, but they also had four phones, and couldn't see a reason to contact me, apart from the original "I don't think we can make it" message ?
Can't respond to my text message or phone calls, yeah, great. 
I had to call their father (another city, another state, several thousand kilometres away) to find out what's going on...

It doesn't help that we're going away for a month in two days time. Lots of uneaten food equals happy dogs I suppose. 
I still don't get millennials.

Dinner was roast chicken with potatoes and baby carrots. There would have been other things if the millennials had made it, but I had lost interest by then. 
Sorry for the rant.

IMG_3162.JPGIMG_3163.JPG

• Like 18

It is raining, I am sick.

A generous colleague offered me a ride home after work but as we had both been reading today's NY Times article on soup she needed to stop at the store first before they closed.  Soup sounded good to me as well, however my idea of soup was eight cans of Progresso minestrone on sale at 88 cents per can.  O the derision I endured.

Anyhow my dinner was minestrone, half of last night's baguette, and cheese.  I hope her soup went well.

• Like 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

soup.  semi-home made :  I use Minor's soup base , which I keep frozen.  in this case  Roasted Chicken.  it has a less salt in it that regular chicken

and indeed has a roast taste

then some fz chinese pork ands shrimp dumplings.  simmer until done.  added chopped spinach , and a beaten egg.  a lot of grated ginger from

frozen.  a few drops of RedBoat.

tasted a bit like Hot&Sour , so I added generic white vinegar and some chinese chili oil w chile  to it

it was zoo good.   Ill make the next batch w chinese dark vinegar  and make some green chili  ( green dragon from Tj ? )

Soup.jpg

• Like 18

Last night for soup supper at church, I made a bastardized version of Tom Yum soup. 

First, I cooked a pound of stew beef, cut into smaller sized pieces than the 1 x 2 in the package, in the IP; 30 minutes HP, regular release. Meanwhile, I soaked a handful of dried shiitakes.

Sliced the hydrated shiitakes, added them and their water to the IP, along with some more water and lots of Tom Yum paste, and switched that over to slow cook while I went out and ran some errands.  Came home, switched it over to saute', let it come to a boil and added Pad Thai wide rice noodles.

It was a hit. If I had it to do over again, I'd cook the noodles separately and put them in a separate dish to add to the soup, as I'm afraid the leftovers will be much too glutinous from dissolving noodles to be very good. But we shall see. And there wasn't a great deal left.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com