• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

liuzhou

China does do stuffed peppers. They look like this and there is nothing wrong with them. I eat them often.

stuffed green peppers.jpg

They don't look anything like my dinner tonight, though - nor what Chinese friends would think of in terms of stuffed peppers. What I made tonight had Chinese elements, but...

dinner.jpg

Red and yellow bell peppers stuffed with a mix of hachéed pork marinated in garlic, ginger, chilli and Shaoxing wine. Stir fried with a splash of soy sauce, I had some flowering chive stems leftover (minus flowering ends) so they went in, too. Stuffed into the peppers and into the oven for about 25 mins.

Stir-fried mushrooms with scallions. Matsutake, cèpes and shiitake.

Coriander/cilantro rice.

Edited by liuzhou
Found better picture than that originally posted. (log)
  • Like 18

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Minimalist chicken curry last night.

curry 0105.jpg

Minimalist because the only vegetable in it was an onion. I need to go produce shopping; there's nothing green in the fridge except brussels sprouts, and I couldn't figure any way to make them fit in curry. 

• Like 12

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

18 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Fresh haddock fish & chips really hit the spot tonight. The spicy garlic and lemon aioli with chopped capers and scallions helped.

HC

IMG_0674.JPGIMG_0680.JPG

@HungryChris  Unless I get too lazy, you've inspired me to thaw out some catfish for tonight.  Can you share how you make your batter?  Is it a beer batter?

• Like 1

Picked up a heavy cast iron grill pan 'cos I didn't want to BBQ outside with temps at - 2C, windchill of -40C.

Started racks of whole grain mustard coated lamb on the pan then finished in the oven. A bit over-cooked but still juicy and tender. Picked up the 2 four-rib racks at 50% off - $15.00 for both.

Lamb Chops0006.jpg

Marinated a package of country-cut pork chops in hoisin sauce, wine, and five3-spice powder and roasted them in a 450F oven. Diced and stir-fired in a sauce to be made into char siu baos later.

Char Siu0002.jpg

• Like 14

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

@HungryChris  Unless I get too lazy, you've inspired me to thaw out some catfish for tonight.  Can you share how you make your batter?  Is it a beer batter?

@Shelby, I had tried all kinds of batters, including beer, but have come to really like Mccormick Fish' N Chip mix. You just mix it with water, using only as much as you need and you can mix it as thick or thin as you like. The flavor and crunch and the ease of use, just convinced me to always have some on hand. I wish I had wild catfish to go with it!

HC

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

@Shelby, I had tried all kinds of batters, including beer, but have come to really like Mccormick Fish' N Chip mix. You just mix it with water, using only as much as you need and you can mix it as thick or thin as you like. The flavor and crunch and the ease of use, just convinced me to always have some on hand. I wish I had wild catfish to go with it!

HC

I'll trade you catfish for some of your mix ;) 

I'll be on the look-out for this.  

Thanks!

• Like 1

Bolognese sauce with bucatini for me; non-gluten pasta for John. A nice salad with some olives, tomatoes and red onion...for me.

Putting together a load of stuff for him to take up to Pok for the weekend... pasta and chicken, waffles, pancakes, pasta with meatballs and sauce, turkey breast, bread for sandwiches, snacks.................

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

A Rachel Ray ragu recipe my mom wanted to try, with rigatoni, and spinach with garlic and cream that I threw together because I hate plain spinach but we needed a vegetable. The ragu is pretty good - I didn't follow the recipe exactly (it called for fennel and I hate fennel) but as a relatively quick sauce from scratch (quick meaning like 30-60 min total, not hours and hours) it's good. I'll find out the recipe so I can look it up if anyone is interested.

IMG_1904.JPG

• Like 10

image.jpeg

I had promised myself a large hunk of protein as part of tonight's meal but when it came time for dinner I chose to make this broccoli salad somewhat adapted from here .

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, scubadoo97 said:

Daaamn!   

The ribs probably look a lot better than they were. I've given up searching for decent sized/thick ribs here in South Africa.

2 hours ago, Ranz said:

48 Hour sous vide brisket roll, medium rare and served with a thyme and mustard mushroom sauce:

Brisket Roll.jpg

It looks to me that there's a big glob of unmelted fat right in the center of the roll.  Is that

the case?  After 48-hours of cooking, I'd have though all the fat would have been rendered

out.  To what temperature did you cook the brisket?

... Shel

4 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I made cabbage rolls tonight. It was in an online Japanese cookbook. I thought it strange that it was an Asian recipe, that it used tomatoes and no rice. I served with rice on the side.

DSCN3912.jpg

Norm, what was it stuffed with other than tomatoes?