• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 1)

liuzhou

26 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I didn't take any pictures but I used the Instant Pot to make Chicken Pho.  

Nice!!!  I'm glad you're enjoying your IP.  Pho sounds good.  Need to make that soon.

• Like 1

I picked up some red grouper today as well as some more tuna.  Kenji's method on 105f tuna was killer so will be making this again in the next day or two.   Tonight it was the red grouper.    Seared off with butter and served with a sweet potato mash.   Potatoes roasted in the oven to bring out the sweetness. Then mashed with butter, diced jalapeño  and a scraped vanilla bean and finished off in the micro to reheat.  A salad of varietal tomatoes, mini cucumbers and romain 

image.jpeg

• Like 11

Aldi has had boneless chuck roasts on sale for $2.99 pp the last month and a half. Every time I am in the store, I look for good ones for the freezer. Sleet and freezing rain today made me think of IP beef stew and they are perfect for that.

HC

IMG_0650.JPGIMG_0651.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 11

Beautiful meals by everyone over the holidays!
The dust has finally settled here with all the kids, kidlets, dogs gone back to their respective homes.

Some of the food we've indulged in over the last few days:
Safeway had cooked lobsters on for Xmas. They had too many so on Boxing day, they were on sale at 50% off. I picked 4 up for $30.00 and split them for the two of us. Covered with herb butter and grilled. The tails were a bit chewy from the double cook, but the claws were lovely. Eaten with black bean spaghetti

Lobster & Blk Bean Pasta 0007.jpg

Trying to get back to simpler food, we had Chinese Ham Yeu (salty fish)
steamed with ground pork and ginger. Rice is SO good with the juice from the steaming!

Salty Fish0002.jpg
I got some silver chopsticks from our s-i-l for Xmas. Had to try them out with some Shanghai noodles - a bit messy! Think I'll keep the bamboo ones for these dishes.:$
                                           Silver Chopsticks & Noodles0012.jpg

Friends came for the day on New Years Eve. We were also visiting other friends in the city, so I put together a slow-cooker pot of Coconut Chicken Curry for supper. It was ready by supper time and all I had to cook then was the rice.

Coconut Curry Chicken 0001.jpg
Safeway had another batch of cooked lobsters for New Years, so I picked up 3 more for our supper tonight. Heated up some butter with slivers of ginger and cilantro. Warmed the extracted lobster meat gently, and eaten with ciabatta bread and a salad of mixed greens. Think we've had our feed of lobster now, unless they were fresh!

Lobster Ginger Butter0002.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 15

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

And a pic of tonight's dinner, please excuse my lack of photo and plating skills. Daughter brought out some of the last Reed avocados with her when she flew out for Christmas. I knew there was a reason I loved that kid!

Tonight's avocado weighed just under 18 ounces so fiance and i split one to eat with our salad. Butter lettuce, leftover ribeye sliced, eggs, tomatoes, shredded cheese, perfect after the heavy holiday foods.

285965_10150358228456617_8206064_o.jpg

10481375_10152777076296617_2125388200_o.jpg

• Like 11

Lasagna with homemade pasta, slow cooked vegetarian bolognaise style sauce (based on mushroom, with tomatoes, sofrito etc.), ricotta, bechamel, grana padano cheese, a few herbs.

20161231_202510.jpg20161231_205219.jpg

• Like 14

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

Having never quite grasped the appeal of stale bread dipped in egg, fried in butter and then smothered in almost anything sweet, I tried a savoury version.  Eggs, a little cream, a generous grind of black pepper and some salt along with some chopped fresh parsley went down better. I am not a huge fan of ketchup either but when modified by the addition of sriracha it becomes tolerable. 

image.jpeg

But the real story here is this parsley which has been in my refrigerator since December 8.   I am beginning to suspect it is franken parsley. 

image.jpeg

This is how it lives in my refrigerator. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Got eaten too fast for photos, but dinner tonight was from a local place that does cuisine from Uzbekistan, which is quite interesting. This wasn't the first time I've eaten from there, but it is the first time everyone in the house ate there, and reviews were generally positive. (Of course, we don't have a lot of experience with that type of cuisine otherwise, so what do we know? :D )

Only complaint is that it looks like they are Americanizing their menu somewhat, since some stuff we ordered previously is gone. That's a bummer, as we have more than enough places locally that sell generic pizzas and sandwiches. :(

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Having never quite grasped the appeal of stale bread dipped in egg, fried in butter and then smothered in almost anything sweet, I tried a savoury version.

With you there! I make "eggy bread" about once a decade, but always, always eat it in a savoury context. Usually with bacon. None of Mr Heinz's red rubbish, either!

Confession time: I hate parsley. Horrible stuff!

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

If I boil eggs for six minutes, they sure ain't soft. Unless I use goose eggs!

I use an egg cooker since I am egg challenged, cant poach or soft boil one to save my life! That 's where the six minutes come from :) i

• Like 1

@Anna N 

I do the same w parsley and cilantro.  I rinse off and trim the stems a little first

and if I remember to change the water from time to time ,  and the herbs don't freeze  , lasts a surprisingly long time.

• Like 1

@Anna N If you're in the mood for more savory French toast, consider this recipe from SE for one coated in Paris an, it's quite good. 

I actually do like sweet French toast, but I rarely soak it with sweet toppings. I usually just include a little sugar in the custard, some nutmeg and cinnamon, and enough salt. If I do add something sweet it's mostly some preserves. 

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.

3 hours ago, shain said:

@Anna N If you're in the mood for more savory French toast, consider this recipe from SE for one coated in Paris an, it's quite good. 

I actually do like sweet French toast, but I rarely soak it with sweet toppings. I usually just include a little sugar in the custard, some nutmeg and cinnamon, and enough salt. If I do add something sweet it's mostly some preserves. 

I know I've seen that before and I bet I added it to my "must try" list.  That list now is so long it would stretch at least into the 24th century.   Thanks for bringing it to the forefront.   I have everything but bread so today I must either buy or bake some.  

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Thanks for asking. Yes, I am feeling a little delicate. Soft boiled eggs with a little butter and some store-bought cream of mushroom soup. No worries. By dinner time tomorrow I expect to be ready and able to tackle a ribeye steak, a duck breast or a couple of lamb chops. Perhaps all three!  

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog