• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Shelby

Please. Need further details on your stroganoff from leftover steak done in the IP.

Well, I was definitely winging it.  The steak I had SV'd and some of it was really tender and some of it was tough, so we ate the tender and saved the tough.  I cut it up into approx. 1" pieces and set it aside.  I pushed the sauté button on the IP and waited until it said "HOT" and then threw in a knob of butter and some diced onions.  Let that cook down a bit.  Then I threw in some sliced mushrooms, diced garlic, some dried thyme and some dried parsley.  To that I added a glug of wine and let that cook off.  I then turned the IP off and added the meat and some beef broth (here is where I screwed up and added too much broth).  And a couple glugs of worcestershire sauce (that's a must for me--adds a certain something).  Then I pushed manual, high pressure and set the time for 10 mins.  While that was going I made a thickener of flour, butter and a bit of broth (screwed up here again and didn't make enough thickener).  I let the IP naturally release, hit the sauté button again and added the thickener.  After that incorporated I turned the IP off and stirred in some sour cream.  The flavor was good, the steak was nice and tender, the sauce just needed to be thicker.

edited to add that I also used a decent amount of black pepper.

Shelby

Shelby

16 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Shelby

Please. Need further details on your stroganoff from leftover steak done in the IP.

Well, I was definitely winging it.  The steak I had SV'd and some of it was really tender and some of it was tough, so we ate the tender and saved the tough.  I cut it up into approx. 1" pieces and set it aside.  I pushed the sauté button on the IP and waited until it said "HOT" and then threw in a knob of butter and some diced onions.  Let that cook down a bit.  Then I threw in some sliced mushrooms, diced garlic, some dried thyme and some dried parsley.  To that I added a glug of wine and let that cook off.  I then turned the IP off and added the meat and some beef broth (here is where I screwed up and added too much broth).  And a couple glugs of worcestershire sauce (that's a must for me--adds a certain something).  Then I pushed manual, high pressure and set the time for 10 mins.  While that was going I made a thickener of flour, butter and a bit of broth (screwed up here again and didn't make enough thickener).  I let the IP naturally release, hit the sauté button again and added the thickener.  After that incorporated I turned the IP off and stirred in some sour cream.  The flavor was good, the steak was nice and tender, the sauce just needed to be thicker.