• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portioning Parmesan

JoNorvelleWalker

I've recently acquired a quantity of Parmigiano Reggiano, just over a kilogram.  Admittedly this is a nice problem to have, however I don't know how to work with it.

ParmesanFront01162017.png

ParmesanBack01162017.png

Normally I would purchase a small chuck of a few ounces from the store (currently $14.99/lb aged two years) and hold it in one hand to grate it, using a box grater.  Nothing fancy.

But I can't hold this piece in one hand and it dwarfs the size of the grater.  I will have to break the block up into more manageable portions.  The thought occurred to me to try a screwdriver and a mallet, though this gives me visions of Parmigiano Reggiano on the floor.  I know special knives are made for fracturing parmesan.  How do people do it?

Once I successfully get a small block broken off I plan to re vacuum seal the remainder.

My old box grater is probably satisfactory, but since I have a place to ask:  how do others grate their parmesan?  And how finely or coarsely do they grate it?  How about portioning a small piece for a cheese board or eating out of hand?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My preference is a Zyliss Rotary Grater with the optional large blade.

I usually break down the large piece with a chef's knife into vacuum sealable sizes.

If I want chunks to nibble - something similar to this.

• Like 1

Thanks, Kerry.  My experiences with rotary graters have not been great but I think I'll invest in a parmesan knife.

When you grate parmesan for cooking, how finely do you grate it?  Or does the fineness depend upon the application?  For example is there a difference in parmesan grated for table service with pasta, versus for making a sauce?

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My old box grater is probably satisfactory, but since I have a place to ask:  how do others grate their parmesan?  And how finely or coarsely do they grate it?  How about portioning a small piece for a cheese board or eating out of hand?

I use a Microplane citrus zester for small quantities and when I am after a very fine texture (for garnishing a dish). Otherwise a regular box grater is fine.

For cutting a piece I use a sturdy chef knife.

What part of the wheel did they give you? If there is only rind on one end, it shouldn't be too difficult to cut.

And do keep the rind!  

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks, Kerry.  My experiences with rotary graters have not been great but I think I'll invest in a parmesan knife.

When you grate parmesan for cooking, how finely do you grate it?  Or does the fineness depend upon the application?  For example is there a difference in parmesan grated for table service with pasta, versus for making a sauce?

I go one fineness - the texture I get with the larger blade on the Zyliss - other than that I might make shavings with a ceramic peeler.

21 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I use a Microplane citrus zester for small quantities and when I am after a very fine texture (for garnishing a dish). Otherwise a regular box grater is fine.

For cutting a piece I use a sturdy chef knife.

What part of the wheel did they give you? If there is only rind on one end, it shouldn't be too difficult to cut.

I have not yet opened the vacuum sealed package, however the block is wedge shaped, so I assume rind only on the end (bottom of the pictures).  We shall see.

19 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Do not add the rinds to stock.  It makes it really unpleasantly cheesy.

I'd be equally wary of adding them to soups.

Wow.  I find they can really elevate some soups. Can't imagine adding them to stocks however.  As they say… To each their own.

edited to add

I know Mark Bittman has a recipe for a parmesan stock though I have never attempted it. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Wow.  I find they can really elevate some soups. Can't imagine adding them to stocks however.  As they say… To each their own.

I think it would depend on the soup.  A robust minestrone would be fine, but anything delicate could get overwhelmed.

• Like 1

Just now, jmacnaughtan said:

I think it would depend on the soup.  A robust minestrone would be fine, but anything delicate could get overwhelmed.

Oh for sure.  They are not appropriate in every soup.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Parm can be cut up with a chef knife, the sturdier the better.  Ensure that you do not use any torquing movement.  Though somewhere on my wishlist are a couple of the chisel like cheese knives meant for the purpose.

For the size question I grate two sizes, if it's going to be used to melt into a larger dish, meatballs, lasagna, etc, I'll use the med holes on the box grater.  To use as a garnish I'll use the fine holes on a box grater, a microplane or the above mentioned Zyliss - it should look like snow on top of the dish.  If you have a recipe that you like / use a lot, note the weight of the parm used.  1/2 cup will be less cheese if grated finely, more if grated coarsely, but always right on by weight.

The rinds go well in most cream based soups, I think they are spectacular in Bolognaise.  A little scrape to ensure you're not adding wax.  At a former restaurant we used enough parm that we would use rinds to make stock.  Simmer long time, let cool, scrape wax off top, reheat and strain through cheesecloth. Sublime flavor, again used in cream soups.  Could be done in smaller quantities if someone had a couple bags of rinds laying about.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Do not add the rinds to stock.  It makes it really unpleasantly cheesy.

I'd be equally wary of adding them to soups.

I've used them in Italian Wedding Soup - great the first day - should have taken them out I felt for the second day.

23 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

What is Wedding Soup?  Sounds interesting :)

Here is where the discussion starts on it.

The version I made here at work - was a bastardized version of the two mentioned above - onion, garlic, chicken stock, italian sausage with no other meat, spinach, salt and pepper along with a chunk of rind and some pasta that looked like little tear drops as I couldn't find the round ones. So much more than the sum of it's parts. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

According to a Sicilian / Italian chef friend of mine it's actually called Italian Wedded Soup and refers to the "marriage" of veg, pasta, sausage in the soup.  Americans have kind of bastardized the name.  Parm rind or stock would be good.

https://books.google.com/books?id=GkQA_gwlRhsC&pg=PA56&lpg=PA56&dq=Italian+Wedded+Soup&source=bl&ots=oV_gtYNsGC&sig=DY3dPvtQRDnhfF2271xFYXq0mdE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7oInYr8nRAhUCwiYKHS7MBskQ6AEIKzAB#v=onepage&q=Italian Wedded Soup&f=false

Edited by daveb (log)

25 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've used them in Italian Wedding Soup - great the first day - should have taken them out I felt for the second day.

I buy my Parmesan at an Italian grocery and sometimes have them grind it for me.  They always put the rind in with the cheese.  So I keep this in my freezer, intending to use the rind for something but when I get to the end of the cheese I invariably end up throwing the rind out.  I have made a note on my Italian Wedding soup recipe to use it there.  why remove the rind the second day?  Does it make the soup too cheesy tasting?

23 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I buy my Parmesan at an Italian grocery and sometimes have them grind it for me.  They always put the rind in with the cheese.  So I keep this in my freezer, intending to use the rind for something but when I get to the end of the cheese I invariably end up throwing the rind out.  I have made a note on my Italian Wedding soup recipe to use it there.  why remove the rind the second day?  Does it make the soup too cheesy tasting?

Yup! Too cheesy.

• Like 1