• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing Whole Coffee Beans

Shel_B

What is the best way, or at least some good ways, to store whole, recently roasted, coffee beans?

I've gotten the beans home and put them into ball jars, and stored them in a cabinet near the coffee grinder.  I've also just put the beans into the same cabinet in the bag that they were purchased in.  I usually buy 1/2-lb of each type of bean at a time, usually buying two or three varieties per trip to the seller (usually Peet's, but other local roasters as well).

Are there better ways to store the beans?

... Shel

8 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

What is the best way, or at least some good ways, to store whole, recently roasted, coffee beans?

I've gotten the beans home and put them into ball jars, and stored them in a cabinet near the coffee grinder.

Me, that.

Do not refrigerate or freeze.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I also use the ball jars. But I do have a pound bag of beans in the freezer. I order my coffee, and usually get it in five one-pound bags at a time to save on shipping (they use flat rate boxes, so shipping five costs the same as shipping one). What does freezing do to the taste/quality?

I might add that, while I have definite likes and dislikes in the realm of coffee, and will generally do without rather than drink bad coffee, I probably am not nearly as particular as many of the "coffeeheads" on here.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, kayb said:

What does freezing do to the taste/quality?

Serious Eats attempts to answer that question.

However, as a side note, the NYT says it couldn't hurt to freeze the beans just before grinding them.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 1/14/2017 at 7:28 PM, kayb said:

I also use the ball jars. But I do have a pound bag of beans in the freezer. I order my coffee, and usually get it in five one-pound bags at a time to save on shipping (they use flat rate boxes, so shipping five costs the same as shipping one). What does freezing do to the taste/quality?

I might add that, while I have definite likes and dislikes in the realm of coffee, and will generally do without rather than drink bad coffee, I probably am not nearly as particular as many of the "coffeeheads" on here.

One concern is condensation.  If you take your beans in and out of the freezer, they'll get condensation on them.  If your roaster puts them in good bags with a vacuum or modified atmosphere, they'll do fine going into the freezer, and coming out once when you use them.  The other concern is dehydration in the freezer, but again, a good sealed bag takes care of that too. 

After roasting I put my beans in a foil tray covered loosely with foil to allow off gassing and to prevent beans that pop and crack from off gas to fly around the kitchen.  After a couple days they go in ball jars.   They will still be off gaming for a few more days.  Once jarred they are used within a week while new beans are resting and the cycle continues 

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

After a couple days they go in ball jars.   They will still be off gaming for a few more days.

I bet they love to play Plants vs. Zombies.

• Like 3