• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Piped/Pipeable Marshmallow

chconfections

Hi All,

I'm a bit stumped here. I'm trying to make P. Grewling's Piped Marshmallows for the 3rd time.  First time I made them they were perfect, but these last 2 time, I've had no luck. They just slump flat.  Having watched closely, I think I'm not getting to the stiff peaks, as mentioned in the recipe. I've completely beaten it flat at this point, just to see what happens. Anyone else have a problem with this? I'm thinking the sugar is not getting the the correct temp? Or should I maybe pre-whip the whites longer?

Grateful for any input.

Mark

I hadn't thought of that. I will look into that tomorrow with a new batch at higher sugar temp.  I calibrated my Thermometer and found that it is 2 deg off.  I'm reading 214 in boiling water, so I'm also under cooking my sugar by a couple degrees.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

So, made 3 more batches today...Tweaking temps and water content and everytime it crapped out after adding the Vanilla.  So, no Vanilla in the last batch...and they came out almost exactly how I wanted.

Very odd? Are there differences in Vanilla Extract? I use a pretty typical one at 35% Alcohol. Are there other with lower water/alcohol content?

Thoughts?

Nakeddirtypillows.jpeg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, chconfections said:

So, made 3 more batches today...Tweaking temps and water content and everytime it crapped out after adding the Vanilla.  So, no Vanilla in the last batch...and they came out almost exactly how I wanted.

Very odd? Are there differences in Vanilla Extract? I use a pretty typical one at 35% Alcohol. Are there other with lower water/alcohol content?

Thoughts?

Nakeddirtypillows.jpeg

Powdered vanilla (Spice House) or vanillan crystals are what I use if I have liquid issues.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, teonzo said:

Try reading the vanilla extract's ingredients, probably there's something with proteolytic enzymes (stuff that dissolves gelatin).

Teo

Thanks Teo...I had no idea. I will look into that. Ingredient list just says Alcohol, Vanilla, Sugar, Water.

On 15/01/2017 at 7:19 AM, chconfections said:

Thoughts?

When I make Marshmallow with Vanilla (I am unsure about Grewlings recipe sorry), I scrape Vanilla pods into my water / sugar /dextrose mixture and find it brings out a beautiful vanilla flavour. I also sometimes use Vanilla powder.

Another option if you use extract is to try triple fold extract (3 x strength) so you use only 1/3rd volume of normal extract.

I don't have Grewlings book, what is his recipe?

Stu Jordan - Chocolatier

The Chocolatier Life

Watch "The Chocolatier Life" on Youtube. It's free!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy6wr6iGuC1MakBVwDAlErA

• 5 years later...

Hello, I am new to the forum

I am trying to pipe my homemade marshmallows, here is the recipe;

In mixing bowl

40g cold water

6.66g gelatin

In a pot cook until 232°F high altitude

66.66g sugar

40g water

28.33g corn syrup

185.8 total grams

Add syrup to mixing bowl

Then add

When it cools to 110° add

4.29g vanilla

When I pipe the marshmallow, and it is too warm it does not hold its form. If it is too cool, it is too firm.

Here are some examples.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?