• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help ID'ing this dried Oriental Fungus

rotuts

Im sure there is a thread on ID'g Chinese / oriental products  but I could not find it.

there is a new and nice Oriental market near me.  Chinese +++  thai , indian , japanese.   its tied to a decent Chinese take out.

decent prices   much easier to get to than Chinatown  etc.

I was looking for ' Tree Ears ' that one might use in Hot&Sour soup.

this market had this item :

TF.jpg

which I got , they told me it comes Korea .  no matter  its thinnish and crinkly  

they had another dried item that was sliced very thin , dried,  that came from China.  they liked this item better. 

they did not understand the English  ' Wood Ears '   no matter.   Im not looking for ' authenticity ' per se 

are these Wood Ears   or somethings similar ?

many thanks

Edited by rotuts (log)

here they are hydrated  ( what's on that plate )   they hydrate very quickly in cold water :

TF hydrated.jpg

the ' leaves ' are thin  , but not as thin as lets say lettuce   but they open up in a similar manner

• Like 1

They are certainly similar and probably a related species if not identical to what you're looking for; moki beoseot is, according to my cursory search based on the words on the packaging, tree ear mushroom, and it looks just like I'd expect wood ear mushrooms (or kikurage in Japanese) to look.

Edited by JasonTrue (log)
  • Like 1

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Concur with Jason. I use them in hot and sour soup; obviously there are many other uses.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Clouds ear mushrooms as I learned looking at their hydrated form in your photos.

• Like 1

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

I have always bought cloud ears dried and re-hydrate them myself. I think they are the same fungus but known by different names in different countries. My original source for the name of cloud ears was a mandarin speaking mainland Chinese friend.

• Like 1

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

The black ones are wood ear fungus.  Cloud ear fungus are generally white/beige/yellow and fluffy-looking - like little clouds.  Used in sweet soups.  White cloud fungus

I googled for white cloud fungus rather than just cloud ear.  They're both rather bland and flavourless on their own, more of a texture thing.

I used to work in a Chinese grocery way back when. In English, we called this type "cloud ear". This is what I think is in your photo, though the underside is hard to see.

"Cloud ear" (Japanese kikurage = "wood jellyfish", but written with the characters for "wood ear", which gives you some idea of how closely related cloud ear and wood ear are) and the pale "snow" or "jelly" fungus or mushroom (Japanese shiro-kikurage "white cloud ear/wood ear) are usually almost the same color on both sides when dried, and more translucent when soaked than wood ear. I think they expand more than wood ear.

Wood ear have a dark top side and a slightly fuzzy pale underside. There is a special name for this "light underside" type in Japanese, but they are not common here, so they are usually called "black wood/cloud ear" (kuro-kikurage). They are usually a bit cheaper than cloud ear, but in many dishes where they are shredded, it is possible to sub one type for another.

One reason why people are so eager to call everything by the same name is that the translucent type used to be called Jew's ear in English. 

Edited by helenjp
clarity (log)