• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storage containers for flour, cornmeal, etc

windyacres

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:43 PM, andiesenji said:

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 8.22.39 PM.png

I love that I'm not the only one who cuts out the label from the actual package and tapes it to the container. :D  I too use my label maker as much as I can.  There should be a new thread where you post pics of your pantry (OR pics of your ingredient/equipment shelves for those of us who don't have separate pantries but have instead turned our dining areas/living rooms/bedrooms into make-shift pantries). ;)

• Like 1

Okay, a question for Cambro fanatics: What size container is perfect for a 5 lb bag of King Arthur flour? My husband is on a bread-baking kick (so lucky I am!) and we need to neaten up and maximize our storage. He's going to Smart and Final later. Thanks!

• Like 1

image.jpeg

I find this 6 L/6 qt, square cambro perfect for flour. It holds a little more than 5 pounds but then you need room to scoop and perhaps like me to keep your scoop in the floor bin.  They stack well so I have one for all purpose and one for bread flour.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Okay, a question for Cambro fanatics: What size container is perfect for a 5 lb bag of King Arthur flour? My husband is on a bread-baking kick (so lucky I am!) and we need to neaten up and maximize our storage. He's going to Smart and Final later. Thanks!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/flour-bucket-small

I have six of them in my bedroom.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

....you need room to scoop and perhaps like me to keep your scoop in the floor bin.  They stack well so I have one for all purpose and one for bread flour.

Yeah! That!

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Perfect, we got a pack of two square ones. Now I can get rid of the giant glass jar I've been using for 40 years and that has a large shard missing from the rim on which I risk my life every time I dip in for a cup of flour. Isn't it absurd what completely nonsensical things we put up with or even get attached to? Yes, once upon a time-- so long ago I can't remember-- it was a very nice jar.

• Like 9