• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storage containers for flour, cornmeal, etc

windyacres

14 minutes ago, daveb said:

Inexplicably the square lids do not interchange between Cambro and Carlisle, if going this route pick a brand early.

I buy my Cambro from a very good local restaurant supply store where all of the pieces are al a carte. Cambro lids are very specific even within a style. You have to buy a lid that was made not just for the shape and size but for which material the Cambro is made from.

5 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Square 6-quart Cambro or Rubbermaid.

I found Rubbermaid's at Sam's Club.

I bought the round Rubbermaid containers that I ended up not caring for.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 1/10/2017 at 8:26 PM, andiesenji said:

I have been using Cambro containers since I was catering in the 1980s and I still have some of the first ones I purchased at Smart & Final in Canoga Park when I still lived in the Valley.

I have every size from 1-quart to 22 quarts.  

A 10- pound bag will fit in the 8-quart container - you have to shake it down a bit to fit the last bit in.

I agree that the 6-quart size is right for a 5-pound bag.  

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 8.21.21 PM.png

Dang, this is beautiful!  The mind boggles at what you can whip up from such a clean, well-organized larder.  It looks like you could do it all blindfolded. Totally in awe...

• Like 5

On 1/11/2017 at 11:09 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I live alone.

One of the benefits of singlehood.  What would be "her" side of the closet has storage containers, sous vide stuff, induction stuff, isi whips, sushi stuff and extra knives.:shock:  Some people think that's weird.  It may be why I'm single.

Edited by daveb (log)
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, boilsover said:

Dang, this is beautiful!  The mind boggles at what you can whip up from such a clean, well-organized larder.  It looks like you could do it all blindfolded. Totally in awe...

That's just mostly empty ones I stacked on my pantry prep table for a photo.

This is the other side of the room ready for holiday baking - with several containers from the freezer (nuts and etc., that can go rancid). 

And the normal line up of various flours I use on a regular basis.  

The Excalibur dehydrator lives in the pantry along with an extra microwave and oven.

And I use my Brother P-Touch label maker with gay abandon - - -

My pantry is 9 x 12'

Pantry ready for holiday baking.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 8.22.39 PM.png

• Like 7

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

31 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

This is the other side of the room ready for holiday baking - with several containers from the freezer (nuts and etc., that can go rancid). 

The Excalibur dehydrator lives in the pantry along with an extra microwave and oven.

My pantry is 9 x 12'

Send pictures of your bedroom.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, andiesenji said:

My pantry is 9 x 12'

My DW said to tell you she's jealous. (So am I.)

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

1 hour ago, andiesenji said:

My pantry is 9 x 12'

We're all coming to your house for the apocalypse. 

• Like 6

Notes from the underbelly

Your pantry is bigger than my kitchen. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

Your pantry is bigger than my kitchen. 

This was originally a "breakfast room" with "cute" (not in my opinion) double swinging doors (AKA "saloon" doors) between. If a decent sized table was placed where it was fully usable, it impeded progress into the family room because there was also a bulit-in china cabinet next to the doorway. 

The doors and the cabinet were the first to go, the latter replaced with a much shallower, free-standing cabinet which is my spice cabinet.

A few other alterations and a new electric line and three outlets so I could have several appliances going at the same time.

Then the heavy-duty shelving units - no wheels because they hold more weight without the wheels and a moveable butcher-block top "bench" not as tall as regular counters so it is easier to knead doughs and do other tasks for someone of average height. 

A new wall between the pantry and the family room, with a single swinging door hides it from view.  There is a large window (65 x 48") behind the shelving unit to the right that is hung with a Blindsgalore® Select Motorized Cellular Shade that lets some light through and has a remote control to open it if I need more light.  The matching window in my family room, which is behind my huge entertainment center, has a similar one but is a"blackout" shade.  

I really have no use for a breakfast room or nook or whatever. I have a counter at the other end of the kitchen with a couple of stools, which for me is a multi-tasker.  It would be different if I had a family but even then the way the room was situated was awkward.  Maybe because my dad was an architect and a builder, gave me an eye for such things.  

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Send pictures of your bedroom.

My bedroom is at the other end of the house, a very long trek.  Nothing even remotely food related in there.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, andiesenji said:

My bedroom is at the other end of the house, a very long trek.  Nothing even remotely food related in there.

When I saw the "send pcitures..." post it seemed to me that it was actually meant for daveb per this post:

13 hours ago, daveb said:

One of the benefits of singlehood.  What would be "her" side of the closet has storage containers, sous vide stuff, induction stuff, isi whips, sushi stuff and extra knives.:shock:  Some people think that's weird.  It may be why I'm single.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Andiesenji, I have to say my curiosity knows no bounds. I have pantry envy of course, but my imagination is getting the better of me. You must live in some kind of farm/palace. Do you have a cow named Betsy who milks herself and then drops off a bucket to the dutch doors on her way out to graze in the orchards? Love seeing your pix. Wish I was your neighbor! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Andiesenji, I have to say my curiosity knows no bounds. I have pantry envy of course, but my imagination is getting the better of me. You must live in some kind of farm/palace. Do you have a cow named Betsy who milks herself and then drops off a bucket to the dutch doors on her way out to graze in the orchards? Love seeing your pix. Wish I was your neighbor! 

No.  No farm. My house is mostly a long rectangle with the kitchen/pantry at one end/corner the master suite at the opposite end/corner with a laundry room, three bedrooms and a large bath between.  It's only 1890 sq ft.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, andiesenji said:

No.  No farm. My house is mostly a long rectangle with the kitchen/pantry at one end/corner the master suite at the opposite end/corner with a laundry room, three bedrooms and a large bath between.  It's only 1890 sq ft.

But you must have massive storage room!

4 hours ago, lindag said:

But you must have massive storage room!

I have a storage building 15' x 40' with more of the shelving units plus a bunch of used bookcases I bought when I first moved up here in '88 and some shelving units I bought when the old Penney's store closed in '92.  There is also a lot of stuff stored in the biggest bedroom that used to be my studio when I was still doing art work, it's 12 x 16.  I had planned to build a studio when I moved here but this room was adequate for my long bench and my other equipment so I never got around to that.

Well, phooey.  I ordered 2 of the 6 qt round Cambro containers from Amazon.  The lids were separate, so had to order 2 lids as well.  When I got the order, the lids did not fit the containers.  They were too big.  I thought perhaps I had made a mistake and went to Amazon to check my order, but I had ordered the correct ones.  So, either Amazon sent the wrong lids (there is no size specification on the lids themselves, so hard to know) or else Amazon has these lids wrongly filed in their system.  I am sending these lids back, but am afraid to reorder them for fear the same thing will happen.

I have one 6 qt Cambro container and the correct lid that I bought at a restaurant supply store in Oklahoma City, 60 miles from where I live.  So, guess I will make a trip down there to get lids for these new containers.  These are going to be expensive lids!  :(

1 hour ago, windyacres said:

Well, phooey.  I ordered 2 of the 6 qt round Cambro containers from Amazon.  The lids were separate, so had to order 2 lids as well.  When I got the order, the lids did not fit the containers.  They were too big.  I thought perhaps I had made a mistake and went to Amazon to check my order, but I had ordered the correct ones.  So, either Amazon sent the wrong lids (there is no size specification on the lids themselves, so hard to know) or else Amazon has these lids wrongly filed in their system.  I am sending these lids back, but am afraid to reorder them for fear the same thing will happen.

I have one 6 qt Cambro container and the correct lid that I bought at a restaurant supply store in Oklahoma City, 60 miles from where I live.  So, guess I will make a trip down there to get lids for these new containers.  These are going to be expensive lids!  :(

I gladly pay a premium to get my Cambro from KAF.  I have no idea how to get the right ones otherwise.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I gladly pay a premium to get my Cambro from KAF.  I have no idea how to get the right ones otherwise.

Webstaurantstore   mates the lids to the correct containers - as on this page the 6 and 8 quart containers.  

Or, as you can see on this page   the 22 quart container  and below it the lid that fits it and the 12 and 18 quart containers.

• Like 3

Wasserstrom and Webrestaurant are my two retailers of choice for this kind of stuff.  They're price competitive but Wasserstrom usually ships to me cheaper than Webrestaurant will.  YMMV.  Like the current layout of Webrestaurant, with the Cambros, don't think I've seen that before.

• Like 1

I purchased all my Cambro containers from Smart & Final. Great prices and they included the lids, sold the largest 22 qt singly but the smaller ones were also "bundled" 4 of the 6 or 8 quart with lids.  2 of the 12 and 18 with lids, the smaller ones in larger bundles.

10 of the 1 quart and I think 6 or 8 of the 2 quart.  

I bought a bunch when I was catering.  I still have almost all of them and they are still good.  

• Like 2