• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2017

quiet1

Mississippi Mule

It was interesting to me to read @eje's comments about this drink when he made it. I used the proportions from The Art of the Bar, which contain significantly more creme de cassis and lemon juice than the Savoy version (the Art version is 2:1:1 gin:lemon juice:cassis). I enjoyed the drink overall. Not terribly complex, but a nice sour.

DSC_4127.jpg

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Today is Suffrage Day here, marking 124 years since the bill to allow New Zealand women the vote was passed into law (first country in the world.  Yay, us!).

It therefore seemed appropriate to try our own @Rafa's Suffragette:

Suffragette.png

Gin, dry vermouth, Cynar, Benedictine (with lemon zest and rosemary).

It started out dry - a little drier than I thought I'd like - but settled down nicely by about sip number 3.  I'd vote for it.

• Like 6

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I am hosting a Halloween Party in two weeks (average age of attendees would be ~68) -  to that end, I have several drink containers that resemble blood bags (for transfusions).   

I'm looking for a good drink that I could make and serve them to my guests.

I also have several "syringes" for shots.  If anyone has any ideas for those, along with the "blood" transfusion bags, I'd be forever grateful....

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2017 at 10:10 AM, RobertM said:

I am hosting a Halloween Party in two weeks (average age of attendees would be ~68) -  to that end, I have several drink containers that resemble blood bags (for transfusions).   

I'm looking for a good drink that I could make and serve them to my guests.

I also have several "syringes" for shots.  If anyone has any ideas for those, along with the "blood" transfusion bags, I'd be forever grateful....

Michelada/ Bloody Ceasar/ Bloody Mary. A Corpse Reviver No 1 would probably look more like blood, though.

For shots, any suitable embalming fluid like shaojiu or palm spirit - but only if you don't like your friends. 

• Haha 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

9 hours ago, haresfur said:

Michelada/ Bloody Ceasar/ Bloody Mary. A Corpse Reviver No 1 would probably look more like blood, though.

At the very least, that last option would taste so much better than any drink with tomato juice in it... or even worse, clamato juice. I'm picturing somebody saying "What can I do to this tomato juice based drink to make it even less appealing? I know! Clam juice!" :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:50 AM, ChrisTaylor said:

Chris Hennes: I love your glassware.

This comment got me thinking about my own glassware.

I've always admired Ina Garten's barware, here (the closest I found and what I believe she uses).

However, I'd never pay that much for bar glasses since they break so easily (and I'm sometimes clumsy).

I could use some double old-fashioned glasses but haven't found the right ones yet.

Anyone have a good source?

3 hours ago, lindag said:

I've always admired Ina Garten's barware, here (the closest I found and what I believe she uses).

However, I'd never pay that much for bar glasses since they break so easily (and I'm sometimes clumsy).

I could use some double old-fashioned glasses but haven't found the right ones yet.

I was going to suggest Replacements Ltd but I see the pattern you like is not in stock:

https://www.replacements.com/webquote/lrhman.htm

You might however find something similar from Replacement Ltd.  I am not ashamed that most of my glassware comes from them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 3:50 AM, ananth said:

Finally got to try the famous Flor de Jerez !

I have to say I'm a little dissappointed. It is really good don't get me wrong but I guess I expected it to be 'funkier' Maybe I'll try this with S&C :D

flor.png

Anything is good from a Baron shaker.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 10/16/2017 at 1:16 AM, lindag said:

This advice holds true for Australia, and I can't see why it wouldn't hold true for anywhere else.

Antique stores. Charity shops. You might call them something else, but I'm sure the concept exists -- people donate stuff to a shop, the shop sells the stuff, the proceeds from the sale go to whatever charitable cause the shop is affiliated with. Yeah. Anyway, you buy second hand glasses from those places. You can get some killer bargains. You may stumble on a full set of something nice, sold way below whatever it's worth. You may also run into odds and ends -- ones and twos and threes. I like this, given I have limited storage space.

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Here's a new one I've just posted to Kindred (and was tonight's drink): the Miramar.  Havana Club rum, Strega, Cynar and a Smith & Cross float:

Miramar.png

This started life at our favourite Wellington bar the Hawthorn Lounge as a Havana, due to appear on their new menu any time now.  I had a preview and went home vowing to recreate it, but the original Havana has now had some creme de cacao added and - who knows? - possibly some other tweaks, so my man Gian at Hawthorn said my version was different enough he was happy for me to post it as a new drink.  So here it is.  And freakin' delicious, if I might be permitted an opinion.

• Like 3

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Playing with a variation on a Martinez as much to feature a new (to me) vermouth one of my favorite bars had in stock. Nice solid mouthfeel with some salinity and almost a hint of olives to me (but that may just be my imagination!). Have to say I  really enjoyed this one!

1.5 Oude Genever (cut  back from 2 oz to let the vermouth play)

1.0 Vermouth Silvio Carta de Sardegna vermouth

0.25 Maraschino (Luxardo)

2 dashes Bokers Bitters

Lemon twist

59ef53683b9ea_SilvioCartaSardiniaVermouth.jpg.195302d8e138bdb6c783c68869ff7df4.jpg

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

At the end of last month the  2017 Shanxi World Wine Culture Expo took place in central China. I was unable to attend, although I did help with the preliminary work and preparations, mainly by translating stuff and also by recording a short video of myself talking nonsense.

Despite its title, the Expo is 99.9% about 白酒  (bái jiǔ), China's tipple of choice. Often translated as "wine" it is in fact a strong distilled spirit.

The Expo was held in Fenyang in Shanxi province, specifically in the village 杏花 (xìng huā) which is considered to be the birthplace of Chinese spirits. The local product is 界酒 (fén jiǔ), allegedly China's oldest spirit. It is a more mellow and subtler tasting drink than most baijiu and is highly valued.  At the expo a 1987 vintage, 10 litre bottle was sold for 3.2million yuan ($481,740 USD).

Anyway, this is all a prelude to what happened today. I was sitting at home minding my own business when my cellphone rang. It was an express delivery service guy telling me that he had a parcel for me and was waiting at the entrance to my apartment block. I went down and he handed me the parcel. Back upstairs I opened it and found this.

fenjiu.thumb.jpg.04a74261e2363783467c00cd7cbc9c4d.jpg

A special edition, expo souvenir, 1.8 litre bottle of fenjiu, which the organisers have kindly sent me. I can live with that!

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto